U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:04 AM

1,571 posts, read 3,464,115 times

Advertisements

Hello. I've posted here about a dozen times before, so I'm not new... but I do have one question.

Has anybody had trouble finding work in the Orlando area?

I have been looking on-and-off for about ten months. I've used Monster.com and just randomly applied to places. I lived out in Oviedo, at home with my parents and I want to have to travel no more than about 12 miles to get to work. So far I've had two interviews (Office Max and a place in Winter Park that wanted to pay me 6.50 to drive all the way to Jacksonville- no thanks), out of filling out about 40 applications for jobs. I've applied to almost every retail outlet and grocery store in Oviedo and the surrounding area, several coffee shops, I've looked into oil changing garages, but still been unable to even pick up a minimum wage job. In the last couple of months I've just become burnt out from searching and maybe filled out one job application every other week. This is ridiculous... why am I having such a hard time just finding a job? I still need to find work, I don't want to live off my parents forever, but I have little work history because I was in college for so many years before dropping out.

My qualifications are I have a 2 year Assosciate of Arts degree and 100 hours at UCF. I am currently not a college student and I'm available to work any time. I speak Spanish, some Italian, some Russian. I know how to use computers and I can type fast, and I can change oil and sparkplugs on cars or motorcycles, do valve jobs on motorcycles, etc. But I don't seem to have enough of an education to really get a good job around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 AM

541 posts, read 1,714,903 times
We have been in Orlando 2 and 1/2 years. I am still looking for full time work that is not all nights and weekends and $7/hour. DH has 3 degrees (International Business/Spanish, Electrical Engineering and Business Management) and has been temping for close to 2 years now. We have gone on countless interviews. Most jobs offer $7-10 an hour. I finally decided to take a few demo jobs handing out samples and coupons at Target, Wal-mart, etc.. because that pays $14-26 an hour. That is like executive pay in Florida-lol. It is very sporadic though so I continue to look for full time work. We are making close to $30,000 less a year than we were in MA and may just move back and rent our condo here to hang onto it.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,926 times
I would like to know the companies to contact for the demos that you are doing.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM

306 posts, read 1,082,908 times
I moved from Ocala, Fla..to West VA..OMG the jobs are horrible here...
I was a home health nurse making $20.00 per diem.....now i am working for sil and can barely get l7 hours a week.......i still search the job market in fla for grins..........for the cost of living there it is horrible.......i decided to go into nursing because i couldn't find anything over $7.00..i took the pn program it was the best thing i ever did there..Here i am Struggling BIG time to even get noticed.........i wish u all the best fla....is very low paying in alot of jobs..the average job paying in ocala is still around $7.00.........what family can make it on that................sure there are alot of jobs but at what price..not everyone wants fast food service..or working on horse farms etc..i don't even know if the medical field is worth it anymore we have so many nurses coming out like crazy.............even though they say nursing shortages..dh decided to go trucking school....oh god was that a nitemare but he is now working as a trucker FINALLY seeing some light in it........it's a hard job for a family......

Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 AM

95 posts, read 384,684 times
I am trying to relocate because of the job situation here. No one wants to pay a living wage. If you have only one income for your household (as I do), it is impossible to make it here. I am a native Floridian and it is crazy that I was making more per year 20 years ago here and what is now being offered. It is a shame that someone in their 40's should have to have a room mate in order to pay basic bills.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:03 PM

57 posts, read 133,022 times
Welcome to Florida. It has always been this way. The only ones that get ahead in this state are the rich retirees and con artists living off of them. You have to leave Florida to make any kind of money and get ahead. The pay scale in Jacksonville is even worse like a third world country.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 PM

239 posts, read 692,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvigor View Post
Welcome to Florida. It has always been this way. The only ones that get ahead in this state are the rich retirees and con artists living off of them. You have to leave Florida to make any kind of money and get ahead. The pay scale in Jacksonville is even worse like a third world country.
A wise man once told me "Florida is where you spend your money, not earn it".

Old 08-24-2007, 07:12 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,984,818 times
Thumbs down same here....

I lost my job when my boss moved to New Smyrna, and I was on Maternity leave (what a joke that was) and that was in 2004....now 2007, I have 2 small kids and I can't find a darn administrative job in Apopka that is not telemarketing and that pays more than $7 an hour!

My 2 kids in a daycare would be 1200 a month!!! how am I supposed to do that with $7 an hour!?

I have been applying over and over on monster, career builder, craigs list ?(which is full or crap scams by the way) and yesterday I got a reply, that I am not good for a part time receptionist! when I worked for 8 years in administrative field and on top of that, I also design websites and graphics..............

This really sucks! my husband lost 50% of his income, we are about to start foreclosing and I can't find a damn job to save my house!

I really hate this town!

Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 AM

15 posts, read 59,865 times
Well I think craigslist is great!
I found my job there!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:04 PM

57 posts, read 133,022 times
Florida is very spotty with industry. You need to be very specialized or in medical profession treating retirees. Not the place at all for general corporate or office work. Very low paying and dead end usually with little or no benefits. This was a sacrifice many people made when Florida was one of the cheapest areas in the country to live but not anymore. Doesn't work now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando