Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 PM

24 posts, read 59,572 times

Advertisements

If you were re-locating from another state.....Would you live in/near Orlando or Tampa? Which schools are better? Pediatric Hospitals?
Would just like absolute honesty! We are moving to Fl. in the next few months are are torn between these 2 areas! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Orlando has a world-class pediatric hospital.

Seminole County has generally speaking some of the best schools in the state.

But where will you be working? That will determine where you want to live.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:28 PM

I am an LPN in home care so my job is re-locatable and there are over 17 offices thru the state so hopefully there are plenty of cases. My 3 boys have genetic disorders so we've had Childrens hosp - Boston our whole lives! so that and schools is our priority In general we are not wealthy nor have we lived in a "ghetto"...lol....but we average about 30,000-40,000 a year here in Ma. and a 3BR apt is also 900-1600. a month no utilities. We are lucky to be selling our home but we dont want to buy not knowing any areas well enough.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:31 PM

So far, we have heard : NO windermere or ilseworth....lol.....but also NO winter haven, ocoee?...and....wow, they are starting to blend together now

Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Windermere and Isleworth are way out of your price range. Winter haven and Ocoee aren't the nicest of areas generally speaking.

Look at Winter Springs, affordable, good schools and 15-20 minutes or so from Arnold Palmer.

Unfortunately I'm not sure you'll be making as much in this area as you are in Boston, and rents are going to be about the same.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Well, I have actually been looking at nursing jobs there and it looks like I may be at the same salary give or take a dollar or two. I was also entertaining the idea of actually going to apply for a p/t nsg. home position - i do pedi but when we did rent apt.'s we usually found some great, quiet "lower-income" places w/ good schools. I know that is varied everywhere too and not really expecting it to be cheaper down there either....we have contemplated this off/on for 10 years...we figured it would even out somewhere....my hubby has had no luck for 3 years here w/o a job and i really dont expect diff. there except a 2nd job for me there vs. NOTHING here =/

Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM

What type of work does your husband do?

Most of the apartments that are "lower income" aren't in the nicest areas around here.

The unemployment rate around here is higher than Boston, FYI. :-(

Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Absolutely honest? Stay in the Central Florida Core (Orange, Seminole, north Osceola counties). The medical resources you need are all located in Orlando. The two major medical campus are Florida Hospital (North of Downtown) and Orlando Regional Medical Health (South of Downtown). $900 will be a stretch, but for $1100-$1300/month you can rent a nice apartment or single family home in a nice area. For that price you really should just consider doing a single family home. Look in Altamonte, Lake Mary, Casselberry, Winter Park, Maitland, Kissimmee and Orlando. Try craiglist, you can find many single family homes listed for rent by owner within your price range. Best of luck here, I hope this helps.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksarenburg View Post
Well, I have actually been looking at nursing jobs there and it looks like I may be at the same salary give or take a dollar or two. I was also entertaining the idea of actually going to apply for a p/t nsg. home position - i do pedi but when we did rent apt.'s we usually found some great, quiet "lower-income" places w/ good schools. I know that is varied everywhere too and not really expecting it to be cheaper down there either....we have contemplated this off/on for 10 years...we figured it would even out somewhere....my hubby has had no luck for 3 years here w/o a job and i really dont expect diff. there except a 2nd job for me there vs. NOTHING here =/
If your husband is out of work anyhow, and your job is really that portable, I think that you couldn't really lose out by coming here. I'm on the record as believing that there is nothing wrong with saving money by living in a bad area, but I have lived in bad areas for pretty much all of my adult life and have come to consider it normal, I know there are a lot of people here who I otherwise usually agree with who strongly disagree with me on that one. In any case even if you screen out the bad areas, an extra commute, or less square feet of space can get go a long way in decreasing rent, I think there are plenty of places down here you could live. If your husband doesn't find a job you will save on daycare, which can almost be like adding an extra income to the household.

-Harry

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 AM

I would never suggest Kissimmee--she's got kids to put in school, and the schools there are not what I would consider "good."

I wouldn't live in a "bad" area with kids. I can't imagine telling my kids, "Sorry honey, you can't ride your bike because there are too many gang bangers out shooting at each other or the local drug dealer is out on the corner right now." On top of that "bad" areas generally have "bad" schools, and education should be much more important than a few extra square feet of living space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando