Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 01:53 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,049,745 times

Advertisements

I think gas prices will hurt the Orlando economy... I know alot of folks consider an hour commute normal, but what if gas hits 4 dollars a gallon, which isn't beyond the realm of possibility? This place is turning into SoCal. like mess, with highways and expressways everywhere, and housing is only cheap when you are so far away from anything you have to travel a long ways.

I just wonder how our Dear Leaders are planning on keeping this place liveable with 4 dollars per gallon gas not so far away and cars become impossibly expensive for most people to keep up and fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 04:14 PM

442 posts, read 2,904,503 times
i agree i think the gas prices are going to hurt this state tremendously..

Old 05-19-2007, 08:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,158,847 times
This is a "no-brainer". Gas prices will hurt every state in the United States! This isn't new news. The only places that wont be hurt by high gas prices will be Venezuala, Russia and the Middle East countries.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:08 AM

I think places like New York, San Francisco, DC, etc. will suffer less- alot of people there don't even own cars. They have infrastructure to get people around without cars. Orlando really doesn't. I rode the bus once 2 years ago, it was a joke. In worst case you wait an hour for a bus. Heck, even in the Midwest in Tulsa you only have to wait 30 minutes for a bus. Can you imagine having to ride the bus in the summer heat in Florida... ouch.

I've got a large scooter and a motorcycle so I won't pay much for gas this summer, maybe 4-5 dollars a week at most. So it won't hurt me all that much but for those people in cars with long commutes it is going to be a deal breaker.

Gas in Tulsa hit 3.20 thereabouts. My aunt just got a job on the other side of town, but the bummer for her is that she's got a crosover-SUV and even with 22 mpg she's paying alot in gas. But hey, she bought a house in the 'burbs and the SUV, it was her choice. What's wierd is usually gas is much cheaper in Oklahoma than Florida... I pay about 3 per gallon at a local Citgo for 87 octane.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:13 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,158,847 times
It makes no difference if you own a car or not. Gas prices affect everything you buy.

Increased fuel prices means higher priced produce and meats, as well as transportation associated with these products.

Increased fuel prices means more ethonol production which means much higher corn prices - see above.

Increase fuel prices means higher cost of plastics and polymers, and therefore higher priced clothing and durable goods.

Just because someone rides a bicycle, doesn't mean he ain't paying through the nose due to higher fuel prices.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:59 AM

Most of the food I buy is not produce or meats. It's canned stuff mostly, or frozen. The cost of fossil fuels for that is going to be outweighed heavily by other costs- packaging, marketting, labor, etc. Yes, the costs will rise but the only things I've noticed really going up have been milk and eggs, and I don't buy that many. I don't eat meat. The 2,000 mile proverbial caesar salad may be getting more expensive, but you don't actually need that stuff to live.

For things like clothing and plastics, I can see prices increasing, but jut keep in mind that mot of the cost of a polyester shirt is the labor, manufacturing, and marketting. Otherwise a shirt would only cost 3 dollars instead of twenty. An extra dollar isn't going to necessarily kill the market for polyester shirts, will it?

Cars are the biggest expense, really expensive to own, not including gas it is about 5,000 per year in total ownership costs, more or less (for a late model used car). Again, that's not including gas. The way gas is headed you are talking at least 1400 dollars for fuel in a year, if not more than 2200 or so as being more typical. It definitely would be beneficial for mot people if they could get by with one less car, or no car at all.

One thing that could drive up energy prices though in the area is the dependence on natural gas power stations. I believe there are a couple around here. Coal isn't so politically popular anymore, I would guess. Natural gas is now pricier than it was. Coal is relatively cheap power. Electricity bills have shot up recently in the last couple of years. My family might move into a smaller house just to cut down on the air conditioning useage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: