U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,403 times

Advertisements

Too far from Lakeland and Orlando unless you get 40 miles per gallon and do not mind driving at least an hour to and from work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 PM

299 posts, read 1,155,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMN80 View Post
I'm glad that you've found one of the few people that are nice here. However, as someone who was just here for business for a couple of days, I don't think you get to judge. Not all people are rude here, but most of them are.
I live in Poinciana & I don't find the majority rude. I do agree(as others pointed out) that there are many reckless drivers. I have never seen so many accidents - my greatest fear would to come back to life as a tree to be planted in Poinciana. On the median strip on Cypress pkwy, they are always down & out. I am told that there is a split between Solivita residents & residents living in the communities built by Avatar in other areas of Poinciana. I really don't see it. I joke with folks, they joke back. We all share some of our frustrations ( like while we are waiting to get inside the Post Office & out of the pouring rain) but we can find stuff to laugh about also. I haven't seen any gangs yet but have seen carnivals with families having loads of fun, Churches with families being able to practice religion of choice, schools with parents meeting with teachers because of concern of education, Pparks with games being played. There are many positives & they need to outway the negatives to keep us going in the right direction.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 18,540 times
I currently live in South Polk County. I am considering moving to Poinciana on the Polk side Google Maps

Can anyone tell me how the crime is in this particular neighborhood?

I feel in love with this house for rent there but then started reading about crime and gangs and such so kinda has me worried. I have read a lot of good posts too. So i am kinda up in the air of what to think.

I have a 2 year old and expecting our second in March and I really want to move somewhere where somewhat okay.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 AM

561 posts, read 1,629,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie13714 View Post
I currently live in South Polk County. I am considering moving to Poinciana on the Polk side Google Maps

Can anyone tell me how the crime is in this particular neighborhood?

I feel in love with this house for rent there but then started reading about crime and gangs and such so kinda has me worried. I have read a lot of good posts too. So i am kinda up in the air of what to think.

I have a 2 year old and expecting our second in March and I really want to move somewhere where somewhat okay.
Where in south polk do you live now? why do you want to move?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 PM

We live in Frostproof at my husbands grandmothers. We want to get our own place we have definitely outgrown the space and are going to have another baby. The house in Poinciana is best one for the price that we have came across. So is it too good to be true?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie13714 View Post
We live in Frostproof at my husbands grandmothers. We want to get our own place we have definitely outgrown the space and are going to have another baby. The house in Poinciana is best one for the price that we have came across. So is it too good to be true?
I have heard nothing but bad about Poinciana. In fact, the custodian that works for our building here (who is puerto rican), said that he doesnt even speak english when he goes home to Poinciana. Also he is letting his house go into forclosure and couldn't care less.

Below are some ideas you may want to consider in the town of Auburndale. It was once a bedroom community but has recently started to experience a lot of growth despite the housing market. I particulaly like the fact that northern auburndale along 559 and Berkley road are only a couple of minutes from I-4. The schools in Auburndale are decent except for one (Which isn't even in Auburndale, it's in Lake Alfred). Just avoid any zone zone that has Lake Alfred Addair Midlle school. There is an excellent charter school in auburndale as well called Berkley Charter. They have an elementary and middle school and I heard they plan to build a new high school within their charter system as well. Also, Aside from auburndale senior high, they will be opening a new state of the art high school called teneroc high in august of this year.

I believe in the community of Berkley Ridge (which is right next door to Berkley Charter Elementary and Berkley Charter Middle school, they give residents top priority for the waiting list to get into the charter school because the developer donated land to the school for a park.

All in all a VERY safe family oriented town away from the big cities, but still within a short drive from I-4.

Adams Homes - Lakeland - Berkley Ridge

Adams Homes - Lakeland - Dove's View

Maronda Homes - Quality New Home Construction in Tampa, Pittsburgh, Orlando, Cincinnati, Melbourne, Jacksonville, Columbus, Winter Haven, Ocala <-- they have homes in Berkley Ridge and Berkley Reserve

Auburn Preserve in Auburndale New Homes by Lennar (http://www.lennar.com/findhome/community.aspx?COMID=7233&DIVID=TMHLEN - broken link) <-- They also have a community called Auburn Reserve close by as well.

These new communities start from the 150's. They range from around 1350 square feet of living space (3,2,2), and go up to just over 3000 square feet (5,3 1/2, 2). I think some of the bigger homes are around 2700-3100 square feet and are around $217K - around $250K. These communities are all located in North Auburndale about 2 miles from I-4, and 5 miles from RTE 92.
Let me know if you want any addidtional information.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 AM

I am not looking buy right now, just to rent. The house in Poinciana that we found was a newer, nice size home for under $800 a month. We want to stay out of Lakeland because the powers bills there are outrageous! I wouldnt mind living in Winter Haven or Auburndale but we having anything at a really affordable.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM

I would see who the neighbors are first and since your kids are not of school age, it wouldn't be as big of a deal I guess. But I would only rent there if I saw and felt comfprtable with who the neighbors are first, and also if it was a last resort.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:25 AM

Yeah I am not too worried about the schools at this point. I probably wouldn't stay longer than when the lease is up. I just want to feel safe when I sleep at night. Thats like one of my biggest fears is someone breaking in my home when I am asleep.

It didnt look like anyone lived next door but we are going back up there today to drive more around the area and I would like to check it out during the evening too.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Yes definatley check during the evening as well as on the weekend. Also if the house does not already have an alarm system I would ask the owner if they would consider putting one in. Or maybe going halves with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando