Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:43 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Red View Post
I have been thinking about relocating to Orlando but am rethinking about it since hearing that coming into a company I would probably be making about seven dollars an hour. Is the job market really that bad down there?
What job are you looking to do down here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 03:05 PM

34 posts, read 120,343 times
Right to Work State means you cant be forced to join a union to get a particular job.

What you refer to is Employment at Will. They can fire you because, oh, just because.

Of course, you have the right to walk off the job anytime you want too.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
I lived in New Jersey prior to living here, other than property taxes and car insurance being higher in New Jersey, if I had a check list of the top 100 things to consider in moving to an area, the other 98 important things would all be in New Jersey's favor. When you come down to Florida and make that move and find out that it is not what it is advertised to be in any way, remember you can never get away. You drive 300 miles and it is flat hot and ugly. You don't like where you are in New Jersey and want to get away, you can drive to Atlantic City, NYC, Philadelphia, New Hope, Amish Country, Washington DC, MOUNTAINS, Baltimore, Cheasepeake Bay, ETC.,,,,,,,, Once your stuck in this hell, you'll never get out. ORLANDO would be the biggest mistake anyone could ever make in anyones lifetime, unless your puerto rican and your biggest concern is to be where there is a large puerto rican population.

He speaks the truth, if I could I wouldn't have moved here either but stuck with a condo. And marmalade said it best when people just don't care about Orlando, and theirs a good reason for it. You bust your A$$ for a bum paycheck and wake up the next day just to do it all again. You don't make money in Orlando, you make other people money who wouldn't make it one day on the streets. If you want a decent life here you need to know someone who knows someone etc. and still be dumb as a box of rocks.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:23 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
I'm from Philly, lived in Pittsburgh, So FL, VA,now Central Florida. While it isn't for everyone, I love it here. Life is what you make it. The grass is often greener on the other side. When I moved, I knew wages were lower than in PA. I also knew about the heat and humidity. None of that stopped me from moving here.

I know many that moved here to escape problems and found out that their problems followed them anyway.

For those that came and now hate it, I'm wondering what made you move here in the first place?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 AM

169 posts, read 655,840 times
Whatever disillusions you have that would even have you considering this area remember the devil you know in this case (anywhere but Orlando) is far better that the devil you don't. Orlando offers the absolute worst of any metropolitan area (Money Magazine--9th most unaffordable and 11th highest crime, and 10th worst road congestion) with none of the city benefits because it is not a real city. All it has are disgustingly ugly cookie cutter sprawl subdivisions, with the same, Target, Publix, Olive Garden and Chili's that you can find anywhere in the mid west. There is not a single unique thing that would ever cause anyone to make a trip into downtown Orlando. They built up which created a sky line and congestion, but there is absolutely zero retail (not a single department store, drug store, liquor store etc.)) in downtown. Orlando's populatin was 30K before Disney World. People blindly came because they had a nice vacation and realized the cost of living was low. There is more government corruption here than any place I have ever been so nothing is planned to benefit the people. The result are the highest tolls in the state, horrible property taxes and insane homeowners insurance rate, and all for nothing. One exception is that they do have the Orlando Magic, the "ONLY" thing representative of a major market. That being said Orlando should never be compared to Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Boston, Baltimore, or any other real city because Orlando is not a city, it is one giant sprawl. Orlando would be Ocala if Disney Wasn't here and what Disney brought isn't good. No matter how bad the winter, how horrible you think your life is, there is an old saying, "when you are in a hole, stop digging." If you move here the hole will be 100 times greater and you will never get out. Incidentally, it is 85 degrees and humid today, doesn't remotely feel like the holiday season and never will. You have no idea how much you take for granted where you are. The crisp autumn air, the wonderful smell of spring, the breathtaking views of a fresh fallen snow, all for cookie cutter, flat, bug infested, humid, crime ridden, congested, chain restauranted, void of culture, cesspool. Don't do it at any price. Keep in mind if you like the beach, between tolls and gas it is a $25 trip to the beach, 45 minutes away. Why would anyone if they were considering Florida for it's beaches consider Orlando, there are 1300 miles of coastline if beaches are a factor??

Old 12-02-2007, 10:54 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Question Question?

Quote:
Whatever disillusions you have that would even have you considering this area remember the devil you know in this case (anywhere but Orlando) is far better that the devil you don't. Orlando offers the absolute worst of any metropolitan area (Money Magazine--9th most unaffordable and 11th highest crime, and 10th worst road congestion) with none of the city benefits because it is not a real city. All it has are disgustingly ugly cookie cutter sprawl subdivisions, with the same, Target, Publix, Olive Garden and Chili's that you can find anywhere in the mid west. There is not a single unique thing that would ever cause anyone to make a trip into downtown Orlando. They built up which created a sky line and congestion, but there is absolutely zero retail (not a single department store, drug store, liquor store etc.)) in downtown. Orlando's populatin was 30K before Disney World. People blindly came because they had a nice vacation and realized the cost of living was low. There is more government corruption here than any place I have ever been so nothing is planned to benefit the people. The result are the highest tolls in the state, horrible property taxes and insane homeowners insurance rate, and all for nothing. One exception is that they do have the Orlando Magic, the "ONLY" thing representative of a major market. That being said Orlando should never be compared to Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Boston, Baltimore, or any other real city because Orlando is not a city, it is one giant sprawl. Orlando would be Ocala if Disney Wasn't here and what Disney brought isn't good. No matter how bad the winter, how horrible you think your life is, there is an old saying, "when you are in a hole, stop digging." If you move here the hole will be 100 times greater and you will never get out. Incidentally, it is 85 degrees and humid today, doesn't remotely feel like the holiday season and never will. You have no idea how much you take for granted where you are. The crisp autumn air, the wonderful smell of spring, the breathtaking views of a fresh fallen snow, all for cookie cutter, flat, bug infested, humid, crime ridden, congested, chain restauranted, void of culture, cesspool. Don't do it at any price. Keep in mind if you like the beach, between tolls and gas it is a $25 trip to the beach, 45 minutes away. Why would anyone if they were considering Florida for it's beaches consider Orlando, there are 1300 miles of coastline if beaches are a factor??
Would like to asked:

How long in Orlando?

What you do?

Your opinion was well presented...

Old 12-02-2007, 11:29 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
Quote:

I agree with some of what you said. Downtown Orlando has nothing but events at the Arena, Bob Carr, or Science Center that attracts me. Unless going to one of those events, I only drive through downtown on my way to the other side of town and back. Traffic at rush hour is not fun. The 417 and 429 toll roads help me avoid I4 during those times. Of course, traffic at rush hour in Philly, Pgh, So Fl, or No Va was not fun either.

There was poor planning with I4, I'll grant ya that one.

While it's warm today, not 85 where I am, I spend the morning trimming bushes, cleaning the exterior of the house with the hose, planting winter things, mulching, and decorating outside for the holidays. I sure don't miss doing the outdoor decorating in the snow and ice! And I sure could not use my hose to clean outdoors in December in PA! The water would have frozen inside the hose!

I don't take toll roads to the beach. I take the back roads to SR44 to hit New Smyrna and the Nat'l Seashore. Gas is what gas is. It's 45 minutes both ways for me, about $7.00 in gas. That doesn't bother me as much as beach tolls in the summer! Living in Philly or Pgh did allow me public transportation but here in Seminole County, that is just not do able. As a kid, I took the bus to the NJ Beaches but it was a long ride by bus, but do able as a teen. Until we drove, that's how we got to the beach on a weekend day.

As far as feeling like Christmas, what does Christmas feel like to you? To me it's the decorating, baking, and family traditions that make Christmas so special. I spent the day yesterday making a gingerbread house with my granddaughter and took her to see Santa. She was thrilled when the Santa at Altamonte Mall greeted her by name and remarked that she has grown so much since she and he visited last year. She loved all the decorations at the mall and kept asking why the big tree in the center of the mall was so big and how they got it decorated. Watching Christmas traditions with a child is wonderful!

I don't miss winter weather at all. I like being able to swim in December!

Life is what you make it. Florida is not for everyone. But some of us really do like it here.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,657 times
Default Having read all of that

I'm going to work for the Mouse in January, 2008. I reckon I'll be living in Winter Garden. My wife and I have no kids, love live music and theatre, love to cook, love to socialize (with appropriate alchoholic lubricant) and we both are infinitely curious about new things.

Tell me please about great restaurants, good places to buy produce, meat and fish, good live music venues and theaters in C. Florida.

Please, don't use the space to tell me how bad central Florida sucks - as I said, I've read all of the above and, while I appreciate your advice, I don't need to use this space to have it repeated.

Thanks

JA

Old 12-13-2007, 08:30 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallan View Post
I'm going to work for the Mouse in January, 2008. I reckon I'll be living in Winter Garden. My wife and I have no kids, love live music and theatre, love to cook, love to socialize (with appropriate alchoholic lubricant) and we both are infinitely curious about new things.

Tell me please about great restaurants, good places to buy produce, meat and fish, good live music venues and theaters in C. Florida.

Please, don't use the space to tell me how bad central Florida sucks - as I said, I've read all of the above and, while I appreciate your advice, I don't need to use this space to have it repeated.

Thanks

JA
Lots of good restaurants and some fun places to hang out here:

Seasons 52 (Dr. Phillips)
Samba Room (Dr. Phillips)
Texas de Brazil
The Palm (Hard Rock Hotel)
Tchoup Chop (Royal Pacific)
Hue
Blue Martini
Beluga (Winter Park)
California Grill (Contemporary)
Victoria and Alberts, Citricos, Narcossee's (Grand Floridian)
Jiko (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
Flying Fish (Boardwalk)
Blue Zoo (Dolphin)
Plantation Room (Celebraton Hotel)
Everglades (Rosen Center Hotel)
Manuel's on the 28th (Bank of America Bldg.)
Dakshin (Indian food/Crossroads)
McCormick and Schmick's
Ruth Criss
Tommy Bahamas (Pointe Orlando)
Old Hickory (steak/Gaylord Palms)
etc..etc..etc...

Live music:
Velvet bar/Velvet Sessions (Hard Rock Hotel)
House of Blues (Downtown Disney)
Hard Rock Live
Raglan Road (Downtown Disney)
Mulligans (Celebration)
The Bob Carr has awful acoustics!

Have not found good theater yet (I am from NY DH is from Boston.)

Old 12-14-2007, 09:08 AM

169 posts, read 655,840 times
Please note, nothing on that restaurant list is not: 1) An overpriced Disney restaurant where it is a traffic laden commute to eat at 2) A chain 3) A normal neighborhood restaurant that serves good food at less than $100 for two if your having a few drinks.
Those places don't exist in Orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando