Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 PM

12 posts, read 79,595 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from PA to FLA and have lived in NC, MI and CA this is what i have come to realize: You can be miserable anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 AM

25 posts, read 131,253 times
My husband and I are considering relocating to the Orlando, FL area. We are originally from the Northeast - Pennsylvania to be exact. We are currently living in Hawaii.

How bad is the traffic? My current commute is 8 miles from my home - it takes me 45 min-1 hour to get there. Is that similar for parts of Orlando?

I have found dozens of postings for Administrative Assistant positions... so I feel fairly confident I can land a job. If you are in this career field, how long did it take you to find a position?

I am not worried about the cultural differents. As I said, I live in Hawaii - I don't know how much more diverse you can get. It doesn't feel like there is a dominant race here - mostly asian, but even then, everyone is "chop-suey" as they say. A mix of everything!

Traffic - I'm not so worried about. After all, we live on an island and our car count (on island) is actually meeting the number of people who live here. It's insane.

Crime - being from the greater Philadelphia area for most of my life, I'm not too worried about it. We've been in bad parts of town and survived. I agree with everyone else - it's life and it's a gamble.

Also, my husband is planning on finishing out his bachelor's in Biology and pursuing a degree in Physical Therapy from UCF... what have you heard about that program?

I do agree with the previous poster. You can be miserable anywhere! We enjoy the sun year 'round now that we've lived in Hawaii. But I'd like to get off this rock. The housing market here is absolutely insane!!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
Thumbs down Moved from San Antonio TX almost a year ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwenger63 View Post
I am considering relocating to the Orlando area from New Jersey. I have two small children, and school systems are important to me. I figure Orlando being the number one tourist city in the world finding respectable work should not be a big issue. I was hoping that there may be someone who is originally from NJ that could possibly share their experience with me.

Thank you
My husband, my two children, and I moved to Orlando this past January. We had always visited Florida every summer and we thought it would be great to move here. We love the weather and the fact that we are so close to the beaches, which is where we spend all of our weekeds.

I'm not going to bash Orlando, but I will give you my honest opinion. We were very optimistic when we moved here back in January; we didn't even read any forums or speak to any locals each time we visited as we wanted to draw our own opinions of the city with out anyone influencing us.

I will admit that after a month or so of being here, we were very disappointed. It is exptremely hard, especially for a male, to find a job down here, the cost of living is extremely high, and the people are not very friendly down here. Although we have found several hobbies and activities to participate in, we have yet to make any friends. We are in a fairly new area in Orlando near Lake Nona/Moss Park, which so far, is a freat area to be in with great schools, but again the people are unfriendly. Neighbors will walk by with out even speaking to you. It's the same scenerio in both mine and my husband's jobs; everyone keeps to themselves and it's very hard to make friends. Although it's great to visit Disney, Universal Studios, etc., it's to be able to keep doing these activites as each time you visit, you will feel it hit your budget. I'm araid to take my children to many other places as the crime is high unlike most cities, the crime seems to be random and occurs everywhere.

I'm hoping to move back to San Antonio this coming January as I'm afraid for my children to grow up in this city let alone allow them to drive when they become teenagers. There's a huge problem down here with road rage related crime. I'm also sensing that Orlando currently or has had a problem in the past with racisim. All of the major companies down here over-boast how they diverse they are and I've even seen billboards adtervising a neighborhoods "diversity." I've never seen such a thing and I wonder why most companies are very adament on boasting their diversness over and over again.

I'm sorry if I've upset anyone who loves it here, but that is my honest opinion of living in Orlando. Maybe it would be good to look at living in other cities in Florida.??

Old 07-30-2007, 09:26 PM
bw1

25 posts, read 92,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwenger63 View Post
I am considering relocating to the Orlando area from New Jersey. I have two small children, and school systems are important to me. I figure Orlando being the number one tourist city in the world finding respectable work should not be a big issue. I was hoping that there may be someone who is originally from NJ that could possibly share their experience with me.

Thank you
I've lived in several small towns in Florida, Alabama, and Pennsylvania, and now live in an exurb on the far-east side of Orlando. My best advice to anyone considering moving here would be to move close to where you're going to work. Commuting across town is truly a nightmare. I didn't realize what it was going to be like when we decided to live where we live. Driving it for a month before we bought our house wasn't enough of a taste to really understand how unpleasant it has become day in and day out. When my daughter graduates from high school in 2 years we are definitely going to be looking to move to make our commutes shorter. The shorter the better. Other than the driving I really don't have a lot of complaints.

There are some very nice areas near Orlando where I would consider living. I'm going to be looking for a place with tree-lined streets for shade (that's important, especially in the summer), and with work, shopping, and entertainment all within a mile or so. There is plenty to do all over Orlando, but having things close to home would be very convenient. There are a few places like I'm describing. They're not the cheapest places to live, but that's for good reason. Winter Park, College Park, Thornton Park, and Baldwin Park are a few places I would consider. If you were to work near Oviedo, Winter Springs, Tuskawilla, Vista Lakes, or Lake Nona those could be good places to live also. Clermont's beautiful too, though I don't know that area very well. I would tend to shy away from places on I-4 or near Disney. There's just too much traffic.

Most of Seminole County has decent schools. Winter Park is good, the rest of Orange County is hit and miss. Check out the Florida Dept. of Education for the listing of local schools and the grades they've received from the state. That's a big help. There are decent, affordable private schools here too.

What kind of work would you be looking for? The job market here can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 15,479 times
I live in the downtown area of orlando. I recently purchased a 300k house with a mortgage of 200k . I own a business and make about 80k and I have a girlfriend who lives with me and works ihe hospitality industry she makes about 25k full time .. We have little debt aside from car payments and mortgage. Still hard to make ends meet even on this income level.. Property taxes on my home are over $3,000 per year and my homeowners insurance is over $2,000. per year. I would look at your finances hard before coming here, the jobs pay very low and the cost of living is very high....

Old 08-03-2007, 01:31 PM
JnJ

1 posts, read 3,144 times
Unhappy Can't see staying

We are a professional couple that have been in Orlando for 2 years. I lived in Orlando for about 10 years in the 70s and 80s. Returning has been quite the shock.

Crime is not something we are terribly worried about, no more than any other city. Random crime is random crime and certainly cannot be predicted.

We like the beaches (but how many times do you really go?).
Theme parks are abundant (but how many times do you really go?).
Large selection of resturants (We go WAY too often!).

We rented an apartment when we moved here in 2005 to give us time to look around and determine where we wanted to live. The first thing we found out was that you cannot just go to any apartment and rent! Many of the apartments have a MAXIMUM amount of money you can earn to live there. At that time, the few we blundered into said that as a childless couple, we could not make any more than (as I recall) about $29,000 per year. Ultimately we went to one of the apartment agencies (on Colonial) who quickly found several apartments for us - free. The apartments were nice and roomy - but paper thin walls, loud latino music, etc. made the quality of life quite bad. In 2006 the apartment complex jumped on the bandwagon of "becoming a condo!" They were too late as the market had already stagnated, but despite that, we got glowing letters about how we should immediately invest in our apartment which was going to be our "new condo". For the low low price of only $236,000 we could keep our apartment "as is" - i.e. all the problems, etc now are our responsibility. In addition, we would also have the pleasure of paying some $230 a month "condo owners association" dues. You know, for the fine landscaping, etc. We moved.

We asked about the reason why there was the "too much money" clause - it was explained that it was the only way to keep the transient/hospitality workers because wages are so low.

They are building a large exclusive condo/apartment building in downtown Orlando - but, reading the fine print - because of laws/accepting certain land grants/etc ... these luxury apartments will also have 40% of the units set aside for low income people. So, you think you have the up-scale area but 4 out of 10 families are low income. Not saying low income means bad people, but, let's be realistic. It certainly raises the odds.

Many comment on the traffic. Traffic is bad in lots of places, yes. Orlando has so many lakes that it makes major roads a bit difficult, etc. I will accept that difficulty. There are ways around some of the traffic bad spots, but not always. In our opinion, the REAL problem here is the mix of drivers. On multilane roads, for some reason, every slow person immediately moves to the left lane, the latino machismo boys are constantly weaving in and out and speeding - when there is room in front - is a given. A major major problem here is the absolute disregard for yellow/red lights! Traffic is backed up, people ALWAYS run the red lights, slowing the start of the traffic in the affected direction, which triggers the automatic light timing that there are no cars so the new green light is shortened. It can be infuriating to wait for a 4 minute light cycle and only allow 3-4 cars/lane pass. A vicious cycle ensues - the frustrated drivers run the light and it starts all over again. Many are fighting the pressure to put up automatic red light cameras but unfortunately, that is probably the only way something will be done. The "overworked" law enforcement does nothing about this problem. Nothing.

Home prices are sadly outrageous. Taxes are always in flux - new schemes, etc. Land is really not available. Older Orlando houses are dozed and then two houses are built on the same land area. Even in the "nice" Southchase/Hunter's Ridge area, you will find "subsidized" families who bring a level of concern to the community.

The latin influence has permeated all aspects as many have said. I was in Home Depot for 45 minutes last week and the only announcements made were in Spanish. Guess they didn't want me to buy whatever it was!

So, for us, we will leave the arrogance, avarice, machismo, high values, low wages (the standard HR line here is "half of your pay is in sunshine" - try to pay your rent/house payment/electric bill with that). Perhaps had I stayed instead of moving away and coming back, it would be different - but I don't think so!

(Im)Patiently waiting for 2009.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 PM

131 posts, read 578,025 times
Indy Diva.. I haven't read the entire thread and just wanted to tell you that I am living in Kentucky (Cincy area) and getting ready for a move to Oakland, Fl (outside Winter Garden). I lived there in 2001,02 and left in 03.
I know it's changed a lot and I absolutely HATE the high cost of living (I am not going to buy less of a house for double what I sold my nice new house for in 03).

Outside of that.. I see a lot of possibilities with Orlando. When we go to church (we visit a lot and we have friends that will become our neighbors when we build on their vacant lot)... I see hope and optimism. I bet you wouldn't guess our church is in Crime Hills.. but it is.

The diversity in the catholic church in Orlando is wonderful (unlike the bland - no offense experience we have in Northern KY). I have to say I feel like a rebel going to 8AM mass in the hood.

As for schools, I am going to send private and would only consider public for elementary. Yes, it's a chunk of cash I would rather not spend but since I spend a lot on daycare here in KY.. I don't see the difference in keeping up the same pace of costs, except now it will be for school (preschool).

If I could I would homeschool to eliminate the crap element. There are many wonderful people in Orlando and I think it's getting a bad rap. I do agree there is more anger expressed then needed.. so I try to be positive and nice to strangers in the store and doing day to day things.

Anyhow.. problems are everywhere. Indy is a great town and Florida isn't better or worse then anywhere.. it's what you make of it.

Good luck! Tracey

Old 08-03-2007, 01:59 PM

131 posts, read 578,025 times
dorlando..

I own a house in Northern KY for 300k and pay 3500 in taxes a year to my county and then 995 to my city... granted I only pay 1200 per year in insurance.. it's all in perspective.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,021 times
Default Considering Relocating to Orlando Fl

I am considering relocating to Orlando Fl for work and school purposes. I visited once but would like some advice as to where would be the best place to live. I will be working in the downtown area and attending UCF. I have read previous reviews about how bad the crime is in the east and west. I plan on renting an apartment. Can someone please tell me where is the better area to move to (North??? South???).

Thx

Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeredsmile View Post
Has Anyone heard of it and how is the area, we are moving into a new Apartment complex on that Street for my wifes job and was curious what it was like, we are from Iowa/North Carolina
to get back to your origional post about Millinea Blvd.......well i think there are some new apartments or something going up near the Oakridge road/south part of Millenia Blvd....and those look nice.....and there are some new apartments/townhomes or some kind of development happening near the Target/Mall/DeVry side of Millenia....those 2 areas seem ok...but one thing i'll warn you about in that area is that the general area right around the mall is ok but if you drive down Conroy road going east past the mall it gets to be the ghetto....Where Conroy road turns into Americana Blvd is an area where it makes the Millenia mall and that area look like day and night...... and if you go south on Millenia Blvd and get to Oakridge road then turn left towards the east it is the ghetto over there too.....and even the other side of I-4 on Conroy road has some shady looking places....not alot of urban blight but trust me there are stories of things happening in those areas involving crime...like robberies or car jackings....stay away from Oakridge and Americana though that area has had a bunch of crime problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando