U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 43,534 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to the Orlando area from New Jersey. I have two small children, and school systems are important to me. I figure Orlando being the number one tourist city in the world finding respectable work should not be a big issue. I was hoping that there may be someone who is originally from NJ that could possibly share their experience with me.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 08:24 PM

183 posts, read 867,286 times
Default moving from nj to florida

bad idea!!! My husband and I are both from NJ and we moved here 18 years ago because we came here on vacation like most people and didnt want to leave. We have been raising our 4 children who were born in Florida. I have 2 girls in High School and 2 under 5. I loved living here for the first 6 years then I began to hate it. I miss the changing of the seasons, we have no family here, its always hot and when its Christmas I have to go home so it feels like Christmas. I miss all the family gatherings including holidays. The vacations we take are mostly going home to see family. My children have never known what it is like to grow up with extended family around. When we first moved here the cost of living and housing was low but now it has caught up with more exspensive states. If you own a construction business as my husband does the cost of workmans comp will kill you. It is one of the highest in the United States. And lets not forget the bugs (ants that bite), bugs that I cant even name and of course dont let your children swim in any lake they may get eaten by an alligator. I wish I would of moved a long time ago. Its hard to move now with both kids in High shcool and my husbands business doing well. If this has not changed your mind about moving here and if you are moving to the Orlando area then Seminole County has the best school district. Orange County is not as good as Seminole. I live in Lake Mary and its a nice community average house
is 350,000 and up. Longwood is nice too near the Lake Brantley High School area and Winter Springs High School is also good. Stay away from Altamonte Springs to conjested and Sanford horrible school district no matter what the realtor tells you. Just make sure when you look at houses you are told what school district your in. You could live in a city and your kids go to another cities school. And when your buying your house keep in mind that we do have hurricanes and tornados so dont become to attached to it.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 PM

183 posts, read 867,286 times
if you let me know what the price range for a home your looking for I could help you find a good area. Seminole county is outside of Orlando which is in Orange County. You dont want to live in Orlando unless you want to live in the downtown area which is exspensive and send your children to private schools. You can go online and read our local paper Orlando sentinel.com

Old 07-25-2006, 10:52 AM

250 posts, read 733,710 times
We moved from MA about a year ago to FL. We have 2 kids (1 and 3 1/2). Both my husband and I did not like NE. We hate the cold weather and wanted to move to warmer climates.

Anyway when we decided to move the housing started to sky rocket and needless to say the areas we had hopes to find a house in were out of our price range. Even in the town we are in now, our development in nice, but there are MUCH nicer ones that people our age were able to afford because they either moved before the boom or were able to sell there house for a huge profit and buy up.

I thought for sure we would have been able to move down here to an upscale development and find everything we had been hoping for.

Not so far....We still haven't made any friends and are feeling the loneliness. Alot of people stay inside or to themselves.

As for schools, my daughter will go to kindergaten in a brand new school which is beautiful...not sure what it will get for a grade since it is new, but the other schools around are pretty decent mostly A and B schools.

We were very worried about the school system here since our girls are our life and we didn't want them to suffer because we chose to move south.

So far, except for not meeting people as we had hoped...things are nice here. The weather is hot, there are bugs (but if you have pest control, or do it yourself you should be ok), haven't seen any alligators except at the zoo, and the crime, well crime is everywhere, you just have to research your areas.

Just wanted to let you know my point of view or what I have experienced in the year we have been here. We moved because life is short and you never know what tomorrow will bring so we had to try. And if in the next year we find its not for us, we will look for some place else to raise our girls.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 AM

1,130 posts, read 162,983 times
Hi!
We are from Jersey also. I am in Punta Gorda in SW Florida. I would stay away from Orlando. Their crime rate just hit an all time high!
Where I am the people are nice and the schools are great. Alot of younger couples are moving down from the Northeast. Alot from NJ too!
We are moving back up though when we sell our house here because we need more room for our business but will come back down in the winter months!

Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 AM

47 posts, read 215,784 times
I moved to Orlando in 1998 and it has drastically changed since then. If I were to make a decision again about moving to Orlando now, I wouldn't move here. The cost of living has gone up significantly due to the housing bubble that started right after the 2004 hurricanes hit. People moving into the area are not that friendly. Schools are overcrowded due to development and growth that seemed to have gone amuck. The closest school to where I live is rated 'A' but is only meant to accommodate 700 children and has actually close to 900. This is due to the inept zoning bylaws that the county has done where the folks who actually pay the property taxes have to "share" the school with kids in subsidized housing. Ideally, there would be nothing wrong with this arrangement IF the school was meant to accommodate the number of kids actually going to the schools. But since the school isn't meant to support 900 kids, I think the folks actaully paying for the school should get first preference. Private schools are the alternative but it requires a lot of commuting depending on where residence is.

We're actually considering moving out of Orlando in the near future.

Last edited by crikey; 07-25-2006 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-27-2006, 05:44 PM

38 posts, read 246,778 times
Default Orlando schools

No one ever mentions the huge number of illegal alien's children that are in the Orlando schools. Conway area has been flooded with aliens. An apt. maanger told me he can't keep up with the number of people that come an go. He had to hire a girl that speaks spansh because he was getting so many spanish speaking renters.

Drugs are also out of control in Pine Hills, Conway areas. Drug dealers are actually out in the open at nights. It hasn't been like this in years. maybe that's why the record will be broken for homicides. the national news doesn't report this because Mickey keeps it quiet. The city needs to hire atleast 100 more cops and stop playing games

Old 07-28-2006, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 53,874 times
Thumbs down It depends

If you speak Spanish, you will do fine. You will definitely feel welcome by the huge Spanish population. If you do not, your young children will probably pick up Spanish fast, which will be a valuable asset here. For example, the primary language spoken in my office has now become Spanish (I work for a large American Company). Needless to say it is not easy for the English speaking employees (including myself), but it's just a matter of being able to adapt.

Orlando as you said is full of tourists, so like you stated finding respectable work should not be an issue. Being able to make ends meet with a related hospitality job could be a major issue though. Go to careerbuilder and do a job search. It will give you an idea of what is available.

Orange County schools are OK depending on where you live. Please be aware that this county only has one "A" graded high school, which is Winter Park High. If I were you as other posters suggested I would move to nearby Seminole County.
I encourage you to go to http://www.greatschools.net/city/Orlando/FL for updated detailed school statistics

IMO Orlando has been changing for the worse in the past few years. We have seen a huge increase in:

- crime
- housing cost
- residential overdevelopment
- school overpopulation
- illegal aliens or legal ones who refuse to learn to speak English. I am foreign-born myself, and I find that absolutely unacceptable.

However some places are very nice (but outrageously expensive, my personal favorite being close to Park Ave in Winter Park), but some areas look like a 3rd world country. I guess it's the same in every city.

Personally I can't really encourage you to move here with your family. My husband and I are looking to start a family and we are expecting to be moving out of state in a few months. Central Florida is just not the place where I would like to raise my children.
All those negative changes have happened in a matter of a few years. I'm wondering how it's going to be in 10 years...
Please do some thorough research, maybe plan a trip here but stay away from the tourist areas. Rent a car, cruise down the major roads such as Semoran Blvd, Colonial Dr, and drive around subdivisions.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2006, 10:13 AM

57 posts, read 163,679 times
I moved here from Ohio in '94. I was young and single and it was great. Now that I'm married with 2 children I'm looking to get out.

The housing market is greatly overvalued now. I bought a nice 4/2.5 home in 01 for $166 and should be able to get $400 now. The problem is if I want to stay here I'll be spending close to 3x what I originally spent for 1/2 the house in an undesireable area.

Orlando used to be a fun affordable city. Now it's turning into Miami north.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:06 PM

47 posts, read 226,349 times
Default Informative Responses to Question

I am glad that I decided to read this thread. I have thought about moving to Orlando since 2004 and I have always have reservations in the back of my mind since most of my family is here in Indianapolis and I was afraid that I would suffer from major homesickness. I have to admit, after hearing from some of you who are Orlando residents, I think I may change my mind totally about actually living there. As far as visiting, Orlando seems fine. My family and I usually rent a condo in Kissimmee when we are vacationing but had no clue as to what living in Orlando/Kissimmee would actually be like. If there are any other comments that need to be made as far as being an Orlando resident is concerned, please let me know! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando