Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,822,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There is a very " me first" attitude throughout Florida. Lived in Oregon and was the opposite....very courteous drivers.

Well then Orlando need a lot of Oregon transplants to move here instead of all the others. Because what we got down here... is a bad mix of all kinds. It aint workin'!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:52 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,510,775 times
I would like to add one to this. I see this along John Young Parkway in Hunter's Creek ALL THE TIME!

You are on a six lane road (John Young) 3 lanes on each side, you are riding the left lane and are not paying attention that your turn is approaching because of whatever (Cell phone, Changing the crappy radio station, damn 106.7! Drinking a pepsi, etc) You realize you are about to miss your turn. The road is busy. What do you do?

A. Do the sane thing and make a u-e at the next intersection and back track a little bit to the intersection you missed because of your tiny attetnion span...OR
B. Dart across 5 lanes of traffic (3 driving lanes plus 2 turn lanes) slamming on your brakes and nearly causing a huge pile up to make your turn?

Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,506,607 times
The correct answer in Florida is B)...have seen it time and time again...there seems to be no awareness that there are other cars on the road...you just don't do what suits you....it should depend on what is around you at the time.

Or how about the people who stop for no reason because they're looking for a business on road that is say 50 mph.....just stop...the hell with everyone else.

And it isn't all tranplants.... a FL trained driver is a poorly trained driver..anyone can get a DL here.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
The correct answer in Florida is B)...have seen it time and time again...there seems to be no awareness that there are other cars on the road...you just don't do what suits you....it should depend on what is around you at the time.

Or how about the people who stop for no reason because they're looking for a business on road that is say 50 mph.....just stop...the hell with everyone else.

And it isn't all tranplants.... a FL trained driver is a poorly trained driver..anyone can get a DL here.
That also happens on John Young all the time! I almost rear ended a guy in a Saturn Vue in Hunter's Creek on JYP and 417 we were both moving along at 55 mph and all of a sudden he slammed on his brakes. I had to swerve to the middle lane and almost sideswiped a Mercedes SL 550. Because of this idiot I nearly took out a $100,000 sports car along with my own probably. Luckily the Mercedes saw what happened and was able to switch to the left lane which was empty thus a seriouswreck was avoided

Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
There is a very " me first" attitude throughout Florida. Lived in Oregon and was the opposite....very courteous drivers.
I will admit that I am guilty of the me first attitude. Next question now

You're traveling on I-4 east towards downtown, you are between the Conroy and John Young Parkway exits, it is morning rush hour and eastbound I-4 narrows from 4 lanes to three lanes, you are in the furthest right lane. You need to merge, what do you do?

A. Put on your blinker and wait for a courteous driver who will let you in (They DO exist in Orlando believe it or not)

B. Fly ahead of as many drivers as possible and try to get in front of that Lynx bus in the right lane where the road splits between the JYP exit ramp and the right lane of I-4. Miss crashing into the bus by a millimeter and accomplish your goal of getting ahead of all those cars to find yourself still stuck in a traffic jam and you didnt save ANY time getting to work

C. Get off I-4 onto John Young, take that to 408 pay the 75 cents to get on and shoot straight into downtown no traffic and save about 15 minutes of pain on I-4?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 AM

429 posts, read 1,099,096 times
lol, more things on here that are not just for Orlando...

The only thing i've seen in Orlando is the other night going to the airport, I think it was on the 408 (don't know my roads well) there was an accident, and as i've seen happen a billion times in other areas in the northeast or even so-cal (only places i've lived long enough to have an opinion), people try to get by on the median when others are waiting for a light at the eventual exit to turn green, or people don't know how to merge correctly.

People, with the exception of what annerk and seain were talking about, this is NOT just Orlando.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
lol, more things on here that are not just for Orlando...

The only thing i've seen in Orlando is the other night going to the airport, I think it was on the 408 (don't know my roads well) there was an accident, and as i've seen happen a billion times in other areas in the northeast or even so-cal (only places i've lived long enough to have an opinion), people try to get by on the median when others are waiting for a light at the eventual exit to turn green, or people don't know how to merge correctly.

People, with the exception of what annerk and seain were talking about, this is NOT just Orlando.

Of course it's not just in Orlando. It's also going to occur in the cities where all the bad drivers came from. Once so many people move here from thoe places, it just turns into the same place they left.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 AM

167 posts, read 407,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
About HALF of the cars in the right lane decide to get back into the left lane because it's a shorter line (of course it's shorter, it ends in like 100 feet!). So you got about, I dont know, 30 or 40 cars in front of me, and HALF of them get into the WRONG lane (the lane that's closing) on purpose so they can race to the front where the lanes merge. Do these idiots not understand that actually makes everyone have to wait even longer because now those idiots are holding up EVERYONE ELSE as they are trying to get back into the left lane???
I call that "leap frogging." Drives me bananas. They do it on Alafaya Trail southbound as well in front of ABC/Burger King where it becomes one lane. It slows everyone down behind them. I also can't stand it on the 417 NB just north of 528 where the right lane(s) end. The lane ends in about 50 feet and here come all of the idiots flying up the right side and sometimes on to the shoulder just to make it one more car length!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learflyer View Post
I call that "leap frogging." Drives me bananas. They do it on Alafaya Trail southbound as well in front of ABC/Burger King where it becomes one lane. It slows everyone down behind them. I also can't stand it on the 417 NB just north of 528 where the right lane(s) end. The lane ends in about 50 feet and here come all of the idiots flying up the right side and sometimes on to the shoulder just to make it one more car length!

Yup, I know exactly where you're talking about, in fact, I live close to that area. It got so bad they had to have cops there at that spot, in a residential (once at that point) area. Sad.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,331,627 times
Any insight as to why Florida laws are so lax on the no license/no insurance thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando