Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,321 times

Advertisements

I have allocated some money for a travel fund and I want to get away from all this recession turmoil. I'm thinking about hiking and camping(tent) in the forest camp-sites adjacent to the outskirts of northern Orlando. I see that the average temperatures in central Florida range from 72-74 in January and February. Is this something that is popular in that time of year? or is January and February just too cold for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
That time of the year you are taking your chances on it hitting down into the 30's at night, and often not getting out of the mid-60's during the day. If you are comfortable with that, you'll be fine. Otherwise you might be better off waiting until early April, which in my opinion is one of our best months weather wise.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That time of the year you are taking your chances on it hitting down into the 30's at night, and often not getting out of the mid-60's during the day. If you are comfortable with that, you'll be fine. Otherwise you might be better off waiting until early April, which in my opinion is one of our best months weather wise.
Winter weather is tricky in Florida. It can be 80-86 degrees one day, then 50-60 the next day. I just got over a cold because of a rapid temp fluctuation last week! It can a shock to the system. If we are warmer the normal it is in the 80s in the day, 60s at night. If we are in the 50s or 60s during the day, its in the 30s or 40s at night. Orlando's "Average" highs and lows are almsot never met. It wil lbe in the 80s for a few days, then in the 60s for a few more days so it averages to the mid 70s. Its either warmer then normal or colder then normal, never the average. Be warned, even if you're a northerner, 40 degrees feels MUCH colder then it would in say New York or Chicago

I prefer to camp in March or April, October is a good month too! That is perhaps the best camping weather. I'd much rather have an RV though with heating, TV and a shower. But then again thats not real camping is it?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:48 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
. Be warned, even if you're a northerner, 40 degrees feels MUCH colder then it would in say New York or Chicago
Granted its only been a few days, but today's morning in the 40's felt great and warmer than 40's in NY to me... and I just moved from NY after being there my whole life

Old 12-21-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
Granted its only been a few days, but today's morning in the 40's felt great and warmer than 40's in NY to me... and I just moved from NY after being there my whole life
Its also psychological, give it a year or two when you become acclimated to Florida's weather. You will be whining about 40 degrees. Im from Connecticut originally

Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Its also psychological, give it a year or two when you become acclimated to Florida's weather. You will be whining about 40 degrees. Im from Connecticut originally
true, i have friends that tell me that.. for now, I love it

Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
true, i have friends that tell me that.. for now, I love it
I say 40 degrees is colder here because I flew from Orlando to Hartford once in January 2006. I left temperatures in the 70s here to 40 degrees even in Hartford. I was already acclimated to weather in Florida.

40 degrees in Connecticut felt comfortably cool but not freezing cold.

I returned to Florida a week later it was 48 degrees when we landed there and I was freezing my butt off. I coudlnt believe it. "I was like somethings not right here"

Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
^^^The humidity in the air makes it feel cooler in the winter, and hotter in the summer. I was out in Denver on a 90 degree day having lunch at an outdoor cafe, comfortable not hot. I could never eat outdoors comfortably on a 90 degree day in Florida. So there is a difference because f the humidity we have here.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^The humidity in the air makes it feel cooler in the winter, and hotter in the summer. I was out in Denver on a 90 degree day having lunch at an outdoor cafe, comfortable not hot. I could never eat outdoors comfortably on a 90 degree day in Florida. So there is a difference because f the humidity we have here.
well, there is humidity all up and down the east coast.. the west coast though does have some gorgeous weather and the low humidity is a huge part

Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utram View Post
I have allocated some money for a travel fund and I want to get away from all this recession turmoil. I'm thinking about hiking and camping(tent) in the forest camp-sites adjacent to the outskirts of northern Orlando. I see that the average temperatures in central Florida range from 72-74 in January and February. Is this something that is popular in that time of year? or is January and February just too cold for that?
I would personally wait until mid/end of March. As several posters pointed out....Florida winters are really unpredictable. The problem with that is your body can't get acclimated out of doors and you might not be all that comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando