U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:45 PM

82 posts, read 206,019 times

Advertisements

I am currently right near Park Avenue and work in Baldwin Park. I love Winter Park, it is probably my favorite area in Orlando. That being said, I have a substantially lower rent if I move out to Avalon (family member has a house).

I am sure my gas will take a huge hit. I also know it is far. I really love the convenience of Winter Park. I can get downtown in under 10 mins. I go downtown 1-2 times a week also at minimum.

I have lived in lake mary/heathrow and the driving did get to me. I am pretty apprehensive about that. I do like the fact that once you are in Avalon, you pretty much don't have to go anywhere. But I do like to be able to pop downtown since I am there often for different reasons.

I am trying to decide if the money saved is worth the driving. I will be able to get a LA Fitness pass and work out at either gym (waterford or colonial). That is a very cool option.

So any feedback on the driving, and general experience from people who like to hit up downtown and live in Avalon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM

53 posts, read 239,506 times
A drive to downtown is a 20 minute drive (non rush hour) for me and I live in Avalon Park. Unlike you, I avoid downtown like the plague. I enjoy Avalon Park, but if your a single guy looking to party, I would recommend another area since the community is more "family oriented." I think you would grow bored with the area.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:15 PM

266 posts, read 994,197 times
Not too far from you (417/Curry Ford) - going downtown at rush hour in the morning is a nightmare. 408 is a parking lot. Use alternate routes. Not sure about the Colonial gym, but the Waterford LA Fitness is a really nice facility.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM

Thanks..I work right now from 10-7, the rush should be avoided im hoping. I like downtown, but I also like to be relaxed when I get home. I don't need to have a loud lifestyle when i am not downtown to be honest. I hear there is 1 bar in Avalon that some singles hit up. I dont always go downtown, I also like to lay low on some nights and stay local.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 AM

53 posts, read 239,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLguy View Post
I hear there is 1 bar in Avalon that some singles hit up.
Unless your into the newly divorced overweight mother of three, I would recommend finding another avenue.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:12 PM

633 posts, read 2,712,257 times
I was going to say that the Avalon Grill isn't that great either. Especially the food! Small bar area, also. OP will have better options meeting single people at the Waterford Lakes Towncenter. There is Friendly Confines, Ale House, the wine bar, and across the street there is Urban Flats.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:17 PM

haha..ok. Yeah, I know a girl that lives out there that is actually hot, but maybe she is the exception.

I love Urban Flats...so thats probably what I'll hit up. I take dates to the one in Winter Park a lot now.

I think it would be nice to walk around the neighborhood, grab coffee on the weekends and just chill out, then go downtown at night. I do that anyway, just on Park Ave instead of in Avalon.

Also, do you have to take the 408 in the AM? or is colonial just as jammed up too?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:15 PM

633 posts, read 2,712,257 times
Fortunately for me, I don't have to drive on 408 or Colonial in the a.m. My husband stopped using 408 in the a.m. because it was so bad. He used to leave around 7:15-7:30 a.m. I think it all depends on what time you leave. My friend leaves Waterford around 6:30 a.m. and doesn't have a problem getting to her downtown job. She works early hours just to avoid the traffic.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,218,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLguy View Post
Thanks..I work right now from 10-7, the rush should be avoided im hoping. I like downtown, but I also like to be relaxed when I get home. I don't need to have a loud lifestyle when i am not downtown to be honest. I hear there is 1 bar in Avalon that some singles hit up. I dont always go downtown, I also like to lay low on some nights and stay local.
Traffic shouldn't be a problem working those hours. I live in east Orlando (Vista Lakes/Lake Nona area) and have gone in late a couple of times in the last week or so and have been delighted at how light the traffic is once you get past 8:30.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:30 PM

Pianogal I saw some other posts you have made and it seems you may have lived in Winter Park too. I am currently a block off Park Ave.

So how was the transition from Winter Park to Eastside Orlando for you? Do you like it out there or do you miss WP?

I work in Baldwin Park..do the Corrine drive commute right now....easy stuff. The money I save moving to Avalon (a very nice place to boot) makes the inconvenience not so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando