Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 14,682 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously looking to move to the Orlando area. We've been down 3 times in as many months looking at different areas of the city. I'm looking for input advice from more than just our realtor. Is Reams Road considered Dr Phillips area. The road runs behind WDW and seems to be a major service road for employees etc, however there are a few very tempting real estate opportunites. Crime in the area? Is it safe and family friendly realtively speaking. I know no place is truly 100% safe in this day and age. Realistically how far to the shops from this area. We have searched out and driven from this area to Publix, etc. seems like it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes depending on traffic. I guess it's all about learning the shortcuts that the locals use. We have also looked at celebration and homes in lake nona. Didnt like celebration, HOA's were astronomically high and insanly restrictive + it seemed many of the storefront were vacant. Anyway any input and advice would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,718 times
I'd say its more Windermere, it seems to be listed that way also on Ashton Woods website, up and coming area, I personally like the area and advise my buyers to look there if looking at NONA, Dr. Phillips etc...

Hope this helps,

Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
I've lived/been raised in in Dr. Phillips for 15 years, so I'll try to help you out as much as I can

I wouldn't consider Reams Road to be a part of Dr. Phillips (I'd consider that area more to be Lake Buena Vista/maybe Windermere). I'm pretty sure the only way you can get from that road to Apopka-Vineland (and then to Publix) would force you to go through the heavy-traffic tourist area right at Disney.

The Dr. Phillips area, though, is very safe. I don't recall ever hearing of any major crime in all the years I've been here. It's also just a great place to live. You're close to a lot of entertainment, shopping, and restaurants.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:19 PM
M_M

62 posts, read 112,580 times
It's definitely Windermere, not Dr. Phillips. You must be driving to the wrong Publix. If you are coming out of Disney and turn left on Reams you can follow it (it will change to Ficquette Rd) until you get to Publix which will be on your left. It is probably 5-10 minutes. If you take a right out of Disney you will run into 535/Winter Garden Vineland Rd on which you will take a left. Just keep following it and you will go straight through a light to the same Publix. There's a Summerport sign there. Again, probably 5-10 minutes. There is a huge shopping center on the same road but north of Publix. It may take you 20 minutes to get to it from the Disney/Reams intersection, unless you go from 5-6pm on a work day.

It's supposedly very safe and generally considered one of the best areas in Central Florida. The townhouse neighborhoods are cheapest and they are still pretty nice. The neighborhoods are mostly very nice and get more expensive as you approach downtown Windermere (north of the Reams area).

Dr. Phillips is older and more expensive for the same type of house; there are some nice looking neighborhoods there. I would avoid Celebration unless you like weird Disney people.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:58 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
There is one home I see on Reams available and it is Windermere.
For that kind of money there are some much better deals available.
Crime in Windermere is the lowest around.
Unfortunately, Reams falls into the West Orange school district which is less than ideal. It is also a little off the beaten path if that matters. Like I say I think there are better options.

All the best,
ken

Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM

164 posts, read 652,681 times
Coffeeguy, I think one side of the street is Dr, Philipps and the other is Windermere. ON REAMS ROAD The cusp

Old 01-01-2010, 09:56 AM

331 posts, read 1,052,246 times
Reams road is considered Windermere. That area is actually 20-25 minutes from what would considered the Dr. Phillips area off of Conroy-Windermere road, kind of around the Bay Hill area. I live in Independence which is actually in Windermere but is zoned Winter Garden, has a Winter Garden zip pf 34787, but everything around it is 34786, I am not sure why. Anyways, there many different communties back in that area. If you come out of the back of Disney and make a left on to Reams and continue on Fiquette the publix is probably about 5 minutes, Targe/Winter Garden Village is about 10-15 depending on traffic, and Wal-mart is about 20-25, even quicker if you take the 429. The heart of Windermere is actually of of 535, if you turn down Chase Rd. That is where Keene's point, Isles Worth, Lake Butler Sound and the Downtown Windermere area. You have to go through that area to head out to the Dr. Phillips area. I can't comment on the schools because I do not have childern, but in my community there are always kids out playing on the streets, and I run around the community by myself and have never questioned the safety. But that area is not Dr. Phillips, it is Windermere and both areas a very good areas of Central Florida

Old 01-01-2010, 12:20 PM

164 posts, read 652,681 times
TEH , It is in Orlando , The zip is 32836 Check out the homes for sale with that zip .

Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINNIEMEME View Post
TEH , It is in Orlando , The zip is 32836 Check out the homes for sale with that zip .

I looks like first mile or 2 is Orlando but the area behind Disney, starting from Lake Ream Townhomes has a 34786 Zip code, At least that's what it looks like on google maps.....that's weird because everything around that has a Windermere Zipcode, I just assumed the entire road was Windermere.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:08 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy128 View Post
My wife and I are seriously looking to move to the Orlando area. We've been down 3 times in as many months looking at different areas of the city. I'm looking for input advice from more than just our realtor. Is Reams Road considered Dr Phillips area. The road runs behind WDW and seems to be a major service road for employees etc, however there are a few very tempting real estate opportunites. Crime in the area? Is it safe and family friendly realtively speaking. I know no place is truly 100% safe in this day and age. Realistically how far to the shops from this area. We have searched out and driven from this area to Publix, etc. seems like it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes depending on traffic. I guess it's all about learning the shortcuts that the locals use. We have also looked at celebration and homes in lake nona. Didnt like celebration, HOA's were astronomically high and insanly restrictive + it seemed many of the storefront were vacant. Anyway any input and advice would be welcomed.
thats a windermere zip code. 34786 is Windermere, FL that area is still pretty rural though its growing now

dont know too much about that area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando