Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 AM

13 posts, read 25,283 times

Advertisements

Are Orlando drivers crazy? 100% YES! Why? At least HALF of them are from other states and other countries and are here on vacation. My dad and 2 uncles are cops and almost three fourths of the tickets they write are to out of state and out of the USA drivers. All the states have different laws, speed limits, road conditions, etc. And as for other countries, they normally drive on the OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR! So since we decided to live here, were born here, or whatever, we have to remember that DISNEY owns Florida and because of that, we will always have the worst drivers!

PS - The 4 freeway which probably spans 2 1/2 or 3 hours of travel have more deaths every year than the ENTIRE freeway 10 that goes all the way across country from California to here. So what does that tell you?

Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Ok, so we came to the conclusion that driving in Orlando isnt as bad as NJ, Los Angeles, and NYC. I feel so much better now. And Orlando's crime isnt as bad as Newark's, Detroit's or Chicago's either. I'm going to ask around on the 'city vs city' forum how bad folks think it is in Orlando, or maybe there already is one.
The accurate conclusion would be that there are bad drivers and criminally minded idiots everywhere, and Orlando isn't exempt from either.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celebrationowner View Post
Are Orlando drivers crazy? 100% YES! Why? At least HALF of them are from other states and other countries and are here on vacation.
Please back up this statement--I'll save you the trouble, you can't.

Quote:
My dad and 2 uncles are cops and almost three fourths of the tickets they write are to out of state and out of the USA drivers. All the states have different laws, speed limits, road conditions, etc. And as for other countries, they normally drive on the OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR! So since we decided to live here, were born here, or whatever, we have to remember that DISNEY owns Florida and because of that, we will always have the worst drivers!
What an ignorant statement. The "other side of the car thing?" is only accurate in a handful of countries. All of Borth America (which includes Mexico), all of Europe except the UK and Ireland, most of Africa, all of the Middle East, most of the Caribbean, all of South America except Surinam and Guyana, and over half of Asia all drive on the right hand side of the road. That means that about 90% of the world drives on the right hand side.

I've been licensed in three States over the years, and have driven in all of the lower 48 as well as a good chunk of Canada, and I can tell you that with very minor variations (mostly the penalties for infractions), the rules of the road are the the same in every state and province. I drove cross country a dozen times through everything from wide open Wyoming to Boston during the Big Dig, from the Florida Key's to Los Angeles during rush hour and never got a ticket.

Maybe your relatives are targeting non-local drivers and cutting a break to those who are local? Considering that the majority of tourists don't even drive while they are here, and 99% of those that do never leave the I-Drive/Universal/Disney area, I think there's a wee bit of exageration going on. By the way, close to 40% of the non-Floridians who visit Disney never drive while in the area. They use either a private shuttle service or Disney's Magical Express.

Quote:
PS - The 4 freeway which probably spans 2 1/2 or 3 hours of travel have more deaths every year than the ENTIRE freeway 10 that goes all the way across country from California to here. So what does that tell you?
Prove it. Show us some statistics.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Ok, so we came to the conclusion that driving in Orlando isnt as bad as NJ, Los Angeles, and NYC. I feel so much better now. And Orlando's crime isnt as bad as Newark's, Detroit's or Chicago's either. I'm going to ask around on the 'city vs city' forum how bad folks think it is in Orlando, or maybe there already is one.
Here is what I don't understand though, ComSense.. what does making a new thread all the time about the drivers do for anyone? You/others are going to get a number of people who say what I and annerk do, a number of people on your side, and maybe a few in between. As I said in my post, if I do start seeing worse drivers, I will be the first to admit, but its just like groundhog day with these posts. At least the numerous "where should I move" threads can very well have different points as one guy wants to be near the airport and another near great schools.. but these are the same thing, typically frequented by the same people.

Maybe I just like variety? Either way, have a good week everyone

Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,309 times
I have driven in most large US cities, countless times in Orlando, it is my observation that all large cities/metropolitan areas will have bad drivers.

It's a logistical problem, traffic will most always be cumbersome as poor infrastructure and limited highways cannot accommodate excess vehicles, factor in tourists, commuters, elderly, illegals, young drivers, those that simply can’t drive, etc, frustration will eventually set in and the results are aggressive/bad drivers.

It’s the trade off for large city living, you can’t escape it.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:49 AM

Exclamation Statistics from Federal Department of Transportation for 2008, 2009 not available yet!

Worst drivers:

1. (tie) California, Florida

2. New Jersey

3. Illinois

4. Maryland

5. (tie) Texas, Georgia

Worst stretches of road with highest fatalities:

1. I-4 in Florida

2. I-10 in Louisiana

3. (tie) I-5 and I-10 in California

4. (tie) I-80 and I-78 in Pennsylvania

5. I-94 in Illinois

Worst roads, overall:

1. Arkansas

2. Florida

3. (tie) Illinois, Pennsylvania

4. California

5. Michigan

Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
While it is true that you cant really prove how bad one place is (or how terrible or wreckless the drivers are - besides accidents I would guess), if most people talk about how incredibly bad it is in Orlando, dont you think there's a lot of truth? Do you think Miami is a bad place to drive (rude, erratic, aggressive) Annerk?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Everyone tries to deny everything I say, so I spent some time on the city vs city forum, which gives a much more unbiased opinion. The polls are always in complete favor of my thoughts, yet they seem to get overlooked all the time. Sure it's hard to prove certain things, but just look at polls that are set up, think about my viewpoint, and then look at what the polls are showing.

Worst Metro Area Drivers

Which state has the friendlier residents, FL or NC?

North Carolina or Florida: Which is More Beautiful?

What is the best state to raise a family?

Any former South Floridians out there?

Charlotte vs Orlando?

Last edited by StreetSmarts; 01-11-2010 at 08:02 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 AM

Exclamation Out of state/country causes most Florida accidents and tickets

There are 75 million visitors to the state of Florida every year. The visitors come here to see the beauty of the state and to see its many attractions. They come from all over the United States and all over the world. They do not come to be involved in automobile accidents, but unfortunately, they are involved in nearly half of all Florida automobile accidents in the Central Florida tourist areas. Visitors to these tourist areas also receive up to three-fourths of the traffic infractions given out in Osceola and Orange County jurisdictions closest to Orlando attractions. There are over 250,000 automobile accidents in Florida every year. The legal ramifications of dealing with the injuries, deaths, and property damage resulting from these accidents are complex and often confusing. Florida automobile accidents, whether a fender bender or a major collision with injuries, are rarely a simple matter to settle. There is often litigation involved to protect the rights of the people involved. When a tourist is involved in an automobile accident in Florida, the complex issues become magnified. A confusing situation where different driving rules and laws, different insurance companies, even a different system of justice when a foreign tourist is involved, becomes even more confusing.

Last edited by celebrationowner; 01-11-2010 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: copied and pasted and it is putting gobbly **** in some places of the message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando