Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times

Advertisements

Anyone else encounter these bazaar drivers in Orlando? I mean, who am I kidding, we all do. But I seem to encounter so many in just my area alone. Dont even need to get onto the 408 or I4.

I went to Publix this afternoon, literally a 3 minute drive... and here's what happened just on my way there. Remember, 3 miles. Very light traffic too, so keep that in mind. I am heading to Avalon Pk Blvd going the speed limit, and someone pulls out of a shooping center right in front of me like they didnt even see me. If they would have pulled out earlier, it wouldnt have been a big deal, but it's almost like they waited for me to get close. What the he//? Crusing down Avalon Pk Blvd, not even a half of a mile later, and someone in the right lane is literally going 15 mph (not an older person either). Everyone had to go around them. They almost came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. No flashers. Nothing was wrong. They were just totally oblivious of their surroundings. What a moron. I then get to a stopsign, so I am slowing down as I approach, and an idiot in the left lane makes a RIGHT turn at the stopsign and cuts off the car in the right lane who was trying to turn. Thinking this has to be it, no more idiots, right? Wrong. I am coming into the Publix shooping center and I am about to park as I am going down the lane in the parking lot, but guess what? Someone is trying to park their car in the same lane, but they are coming from the WRONG direction. Instead of coming in like I did, he came from the opposite side, which is the side people are supposed to exit out of! A few cars had to go around this guy because he was coming in the wrong way!

All this in my short, 3 minute trip to Publix. Is it East Orlando, or is it that bad everywhere in Orlando? I just came back from Asheville NC and it's just amazing how uncomplicated things are there. Then I come back to this BS, and it makes we wanna pull my hair out!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Yawn...there are crzy drivers everywhere.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:47 PM

80 posts, read 231,838 times
Florida has some of the shi**iest drivers! It's not just Orlando, it's the whole state! Although Orlando and Miami area seem to be the worst. If they're not doin 90 they're doin 9! WTF!

How about this one, You're sitting at an intersection, the light is red. The car across the intersection is waiting to make a left turn. Keep in mind there is no left turn arrow, or the person just didn't get the arrow. So, the light turns green and the knucklehead across the way just darts out and turns right in front of you!

No kidding, I have had this happen to me dozens of times since I've lived in FL!

I could go on and on with other ones as well, but this one really burns my ass!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:56 PM

56 posts, read 216,742 times
Just wait until Alafaya finally connects to 528 - you'll get even more idiots driving around the area!

Maybe all the recent cold weather froze their brains?

Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 PM

80 posts, read 231,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Yawn...there are crzy drivers everywhere.
This is true, but there are an awful lot of em here.

I got a few more. How about four way stops? I can't tell you how many rolling stops I have seen. Also it's suppose to be the first one to get to the intersection at a four way stop goes first right? Yeah right, complete lack of respect by certain drivers.

How about this one. The neighborhood I used to live in had big "Speed Humps" that's what they were called, to try and keep people from speeding down the side streets. Well, it almost seemed like people sped up over these things! On several occasions, I saw landscaping trucks or just some truck with a trailer on the back, and the trailer actually got a little airborn over the speed hump!

As I said before, I could go on and on. But yeah, Florida is full of idiot drivers.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:22 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
We encountered a lot of strange driving while in Florida. You expect certain rules of driving all over the United States, but I have come to learn there are some really strange rules in many states.

When I first got married we lived in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Military people lived there from all over. There was a street called Bragg Blvd. and we renamed it Bragg Drag. This was years ago and I wonder if they still call it that. I met another new bride in our apartment and we became friends. She came back from driving her husband to work one day very upset. She told me what had happened and I said, "Why did that upset you?"

She had been driving in the left lane and she saw a car come up behind her and almost wrecked because she had pulled to the right so he could go on and driving by our laws in North Carolina he had gone to the right too to pass her. Where she came from, they did not pass on the right?? That was my introduction to the fact that driving laws are not the same all over. I was telling my brother about it and he had driven in her state and explained to me that people would turn right from the far left lane in that state?? Different driving laws!

Now I don't know what to say about people pulling out in front of you. Do you have a car so nice they know you are not going to hit them? I told my husband we must have a sign in the front of our car that says, "Pull out in front of me. I will stop."

Oh, almost as good but just a little different. We have a place in Wesley Chapel, N. C. where we have to turn left and the school causes a lot of backup that makes it very difficult. There is also a lot of backup on the street we turn left onto and several times we almost have had wrecks when the drivers from that street think it is their turn to go ahead of us from the stop sign before we get to do the left turn. We were discussing driving in the area on one of the threads and I found out what the problem was. Somebody from some state said in their state cars took turns in a situation like that and they expected us to wait to make our turn so they could leave from the stop sign. I am so sorry. In North Carolina, a stop sign means stop unless it is four way. You stop for them too, but there is a rule of who got there first.

That is just two examples. I wonder how many examples there would be if we checked the differences in driving laws from state to state. Right now in Florida and Southern California, I think you would have someone from every state driving in your area. You are the only warm places in the connected United States right now.

I guess your experience would be the reason people in Florida give distance by time instead of miles. Stay safe and be happy you are as warm as you are.

Last edited by NCN; 01-09-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC Man Dan King O' Keno View Post
Florida has some of the shi**iest drivers! It's not just Orlando, it's the whole state! Although Orlando and Miami area seem to be the worst. If they're not doin 90 they're doin 9! WTF!

How about this one, You're sitting at an intersection, the light is red. The car across the intersection is waiting to make a left turn. Keep in mind there is no left turn arrow, or the person just didn't get the arrow. So, the light turns green and the knucklehead across the way just darts out and turns right in front of you!

No kidding, I have had this happen to me dozens of times since I've lived in FL!

I could go on and on with other ones as well, but this one really burns my ass!

You just reminded me of something I saw yesterday or Thursday. Near the middle school by my house in the Waterford Lakes area... light turns red and a bus runs the red light, and cops are right there watching. Kids were just let out, and there are kids, crossing guards, and even a cop there directing traffic, and a freakin school bus runs the light.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Anyone else encounter these bazaar drivers in Orlando? I mean, who am I kidding, we all do. But I seem to encounter so many in just my area alone. Dont even need to get onto the 408 or I4.

I went to Publix this afternoon, literally a 3 minute drive... and here's what happened just on my way there. Remember, 3 miles. Very light traffic too, so keep that in mind. I am heading to Avalon Pk Blvd going the speed limit, and someone pulls out of a shooping center right in front of me like they didnt even see me. If they would have pulled out earlier, it wouldnt have been a big deal, but it's almost like they waited for me to get close. What the he//? Crusing down Avalon Pk Blvd, not even a half of a mile later, and someone in the right lane is literally going 15 mph (not an older person either). Everyone had to go around them. They almost came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. No flashers. Nothing was wrong. They were just totally oblivious of their surroundings. What a moron. I then get to a stopsign, so I am slowing down as I approach, and an idiot in the left lane makes a RIGHT turn at the stopsign and cuts off the car in the right lane who was trying to turn. Thinking this has to be it, no more idiots, right? Wrong. I am coming into the Publix shooping center and I am about to park as I am going down the lane in the parking lot, but guess what? Someone is trying to park their car in the same lane, but they are coming from the WRONG direction. Instead of coming in like I did, he came from the opposite side, which is the side people are supposed to exit out of! A few cars had to go around this guy because he was coming in the wrong way!

All this in my short, 3 minute trip to Publix. Is it East Orlando, or is it that bad everywhere in Orlando? I just came back from Asheville NC and it's just amazing how uncomplicated things are there. Then I come back to this BS, and it makes we wanna pull my hair out!
sometimes I think you male up stuff cause I live in your area and I barely have problems with other drivers. maybe I'm just used to it, or maybe I don't get bothered by every little thing like an old person.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:46 PM

284 posts, read 985,645 times
Try driving in NYC

Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

Its all over Orlando. I work for Publix and I see it all the time. Im on the opposite end of town in Hunter's Creek, a 40 minute drive away from Avalon

Living in Orlando seems to bother you very much. I like you and I think you do have a lot of good Points of View that make sense, but your posts about how bad Orlando is seem blown out of proportion.

Im not going to accuse you of lying but I am having a hard time believing somebody on a busy road like Avalon Park Blvd would just STOP in the middle of the road or go very slow. I believe you because I saw that on Town Center Blvd in Hunter's Creek. They must have had a deathwish, to get rear ended by all the drivers going 55 in a 40 mph zone

People dart across John Young Parkway all the time down here from the left lanes to make right hand turns, nearly rear-ended a white Hyundai Accent about 2 weeks ago who tried that. Im glad that you cant beat a Nissan for great brakes or I would have creamed that car since that car was 1/2 the size of mine

Drivers do frustrate me but I dont let it ruin my day, though temporary my road rage is pretty bad and Im quite impatient (because Im only 20 maybe)

Dude just take it all in stride. The sad part is stupid drivers are here to stay the best we can do is just deal with it and not let it ruin our fays, as it seems to have ruined yours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando