Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 AM

87 posts, read 255,789 times

Advertisements

The Orlando-Kissimmee Metropolitan Area, (Greater Orlando) is the major metropolitan area in Central Florida and is the third most populated metropolitan area in the state. The area is well known for its theme parks and hotels. It is becoming one of the favorite places for living. The four counties of the area are: Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and Lake. If you are considering a move to the Greater Orlando, here you will find some essential facts that will help you to take a well informed decision.
1.Sales Tax: The sales tax ranges from 6.5 to 7% depending on the county where you make the business transaction.
2.Average Monthly Rent: $725 for an apartment or $1,300 for a house.
3.Unemployment Rate Statewide and by Main Metropolitan Areas (November 2009):
·Statewide: 11.5%
·Tallahassee (State Capital): 8.1%
·Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach: 10.6%
·Jacksonville: 11.2%
·Orlando/Kissimmee: 11.8%
·Tampa/St Petersburg/Clearwater: 12.3%
4.Description of Employment Outlook: The gross of employment opportunities are divided into non skilled and semi-skilled categories. Some examples are: assembling, construction, agriculture, cleaning services, fork lifting, landscaping/gardening, maintenance, electricity, truck driving, waitperson, retail sales, security, customer service, hospitality, entertainment/theme parks. There are also professional opportunities such as: business administration, nursing/health services, teachers, counselors, librarians, college professor, etc. However, professional opportunities are fewer than non skilled or semi skilled, and also it takes more time and effort to obtain one. Greater Orlando is considered as a developing area and that is the main reason why it is short of professional employment opportunities.

5.Minimum Wage: Florida has a state minimum wage law that increases the minimum salary every January 1st depending on the consumer price index and inflation. However, in January 1, 2010 the state minimum wage remained the same as the federal wage... that is $7.25 per hour. Florida law requires the Agency for Workforce Innovation to calculate a new minimum wage each year and publish the new minimum wage on October 15.

6.Average Gasoline Price: $2.66 per gallon (Dec 2009).
7.Crime: Orange County is the most active in terms of crime because it is the most urbanized and densely populated, particularly central Orange. According to the Orlando Sentinel, there were 74 murders during 2009 only in Orange. The rest of the counties are quieter. Other crimes such as sexual offenses and property crime trend to occur in a much higher rate than murders.
8.Transportation and Mass Transit: Greater Orlando is big and sprawled. A car is necessary for the majority of its residents due the trend is to live in the suburbs of Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and Lake Counties. For several times the City of Orlando has been labeled as one of the top ten most dangerous places for pedestrians nationwide. Major roads includes: State Road 50 (better known as Colonial Dr), State Road 436 (better known as Semoran Blvd), State Road 528 (known as Beachline), State Road 417 (named Central Florida Greenway), State Road 408 (East-West Expressway), State Road 429; US 17/92; US 441 (Orange Blossom Trail), and Interstate 4. Mass transit is coordinated by means of the Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority (known as LYNX) servicing the counties of Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake and Volusia. For now only bus service is available. However, a North-South light rail as well a commuter rail system (named Sun Rail) is expected to begin service in 2012. Standard Bus Fares & Passes: $2.00 one way fare; $4.50 single day pass unlimited; $16 weekly pass unlimited; $50.00 monthly pass unlimited. Transfers are free and valid for 90 minutes. Transfers are not valid on the same bus or for roundtrip purposes.

9.Original Driver’s License and Renewal: $48

10.Replacement of Driver’s License: $25

11.Vehicle Tag and Registration: $72

12.Title of Ownership: $77.25

13.Car Insurance Average Price: $400-500 semiannual.

14.Electricity and Water Average Price: $140 monthly for electricity depending on several particular factors such as family size, private or public utility company, consumption habits, personal needs, etc. The average price for water consumption is about $35 monthly. In spite of the fact that water consumption is included into the rent price in the majority of apartment communities, the sewer cost could not. Average sewer cost ranges between $20 and $26. Ask before signing a lease or contract!
15.Climate and Weather: Florida is known as the Sunshine State... for a true reason. There are plenty of sunny, warm and pleasant days statewide. However, the only portion of Florida classified as tropical is the South. In South Florida you will find a weather pattern very similar to the Caribbean where the seasons are unnoticeable and there is hot weather almost all the year. Its flora and fauna are also different. The rest of the state is classified as subtropical. It does mean that the dry/wet and winter/summer seasons are well defined. In Orlando Spring is pleasant. Summer is hot and sunny in the morning, stormy afternoons, and muggy nights. The rainy season extends from June through September and this is also a part of the hurricane season. On the other hand, Fall and Winter are the driest seasons characterized by low levels of relative humidity and a high risk of forest fires. Central Florida is the lightning capital of the U.S. particularly the area between Orlando and Tampa. Tornadoes and hail are likely to occur, particularly during the summer.
16.Average Temperatures:
·Spring 83/61
·Summer 92/72...
·Fall 85/65
·Winter 73/51
17.Suggestions:
·Consider that fantasy is the main business of the theme parks. The challenges of the daily life are far different from what you experience in a park.
·Enjoy the attractions of the area always distinguishing between fantasy and reality.
·Have fun without wasting your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM

43 posts, read 113,365 times
Very infomative thanks. Personally I don't WANT to move to Orlando, I'm not looking forward to big city traffic and it seems like crime is a big factor. If we sell our house we probably won't have enough for a down payment on one down there...but when it comes down to it, my husband has a job offer there and its better than nothing. Of course I take the opinions here as generalizations, but it is nice to have a place to help get started.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM

24 posts, read 59,299 times
thank you so much for that! we are moving to the Orlando area in April and those were excellent points

Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 PM

215 posts, read 543,320 times
How is the tourist industry holding up?

Are tourists still coming?

Are businesses geared to tourists still thriving?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,641,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcamp View Post
How is the tourist industry holding up?

Are tourists still coming?

Are businesses geared to tourists still thriving?
tourism wasn't hit that hard by the recession. It declined slightly but is expected to start rising again within the next few years.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,510,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
tourism wasn't hit that hard by the recession. It declined slightly but is expected to start rising again within the next few years.
This is true, the parks are still packed during typical "busy" seasons and most people I know who work for disney are always exhausted

Staying on topic I'd like to list some more facts for anybody looking to relocate here.

The area of Orlando's city limits are very small. Only 230,000 people. When you count the other incorporated communites as well as unincorporated Orange County you get a population of over 1,000,000 people. And as big as this county is we still have a lot of rural areas in the far east and far west sides of the county

Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM

78 posts, read 258,829 times
I'm in my 50's and am looking for p/t job in clerical or customer service...have over 20 yrs. from living up north. Anyway, applied for Universal got the run around...blah, blah, blah, they offered me something I didnt apply for tried it couldnt do it for back disc problem so I go for another job thingy and I know that the interview went well...but.....they declined me. Is it I'm too old??? Because I see that a majority of people wking there are old enough to be my kids...Do you think that makes a difference??? Please tell me honestly want you think....Not a happy camper.
One of the interviewers cell phone rang besides on this interview...can you believe?? I left my cell in my car.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 AM

87 posts, read 255,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissimmee lady View Post
I'm in my 50's and am looking for p/t job in clerical or customer service...have over 20 yrs. from living up north. Anyway, applied for Universal got the run around...blah, blah, blah, they offered me something I didnt apply for tried it couldnt do it for back disc problem so I go for another job thingy and I know that the interview went well...but.....they declined me. Is it I'm too old??? Because I see that a majority of people wking there are old enough to be my kids...Do you think that makes a difference??? Please tell me honestly want you think....Not a happy camper.
One of the interviewers cell phone rang besides on this interview...can you believe?? I left my cell in my car.
Try to stay positive and faithful... otherwise, your job search will be frustrating particularly during this times of economic challenge. I have seen older people than you working in the theme parks. It depends if your skills are according to the positions you are applying for. Analyze the job description before or during the application process and make an honest self evaluation of your skills before signing and submitting each application.

Some guide questions for a self evaluation include: Are your skills suitable for the position? Do you like the job description in general terms? Is there anything that you don't like? Are you willing to negotiate with the aspects that you don't find attractive? Is the salary/hourly rate acceptable to you? Does the job fit with your lifestyle?

My best wishes for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando