U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 PM

12 posts, read 65,521 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Orlando next month and planning to rent a condo or townhouse. My friend, who is a realtor, showed several properties around Metrowest. Some communities are Stonebridge commons, Stonebridge lakes, etc with gate.

They all look nice and new, and one unit offered very good price.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Metrowest from this forum, so kind of worried about moving there.

Do you think townhouses in Metrowest are bad as well in terms of safety?
Thanks.

Last edited by wlswn; 05-24-2007 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 PM

631 posts, read 2,098,166 times
One thing I can completely agree with everyone on this forum is that Metrowest is a dangerous place to live. If there's any way around it, I wouldn't eeven fathom of living there. And according to some I live in "dangerous" downtown.
I lived in MW for 9 months and I ended up paying several thousand dollars to break a lease so I could get out as fast as I could.

Go there at night - just one night - and I think you'll understand.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:13 PM

307 posts, read 1,908,427 times
Not wanting to sound negative, but i haven't yet sold anything in MW

Old 05-24-2007, 01:18 PM

Thanks for your reply, blueoktober.

I've learned from this forum that metrowest is one of the worst places to live in Orlando. But, I read postings somewhere saying that Hiawassee road side where most townhouse are located is much better than Kirkman road side where most apartments are located.

When I visited gated townhouse communities in metrowest yesterday, it was better than what I thuoght. I saw several kids were playing around inside the community and one young lady jogging outside, of course, during daytime.

Metrowest is very close to my work, and I don't like traveling a long distance to work. That's why I consider moving there.

Do you still recommend I stay away from metrowest regardless the type of community, townhouse or apartment?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 PM

1,418 posts, read 8,900,279 times
Metro West isn't that bad. It's not far from some bad areas so this nice looking grouping of large subdivisions looks pretty enticing to the vultures that live in some of the surrounding neighborhoods. "Easey Pickens" perhaps. But, the houses, townhomes, etc. inside Metro West are well kept and nice looking for the most part.

Look, you could probably live in Pine Hills and survive if you're not a gang banger or drug-guzzling addict. NOT that I would ever recomend anyone do this, but it is not a war zone. I've been through many of these "bad" areas dealing with $50K - $120K depressed properties many times. I've never shot anyone nor been shot at. Metro West is a far cry from Pine Hills or any of the rough neighborhoods. However, it does have more crime that the appearance of the area would lead you to believe, due to its somewhat close proximity to West downtown Orlando and Pine Hills.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:51 AM

10 posts, read 52,391 times
Our relator is also pushing us for that direction to buy a condo. We were looking at Ventura at Stonebridge Commons. Can you tell me what you think is a good price?

I have been getting conflicting info for an offer.
Thanks

Old 05-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Lookin4work918 ,
I am just looking at renting a townhouse for a year. If I buy a house/townhouse later, I may not buy one there.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:36 PM

41 posts, read 320,146 times
Metro West is fine. There's soooo much negative press(including on this forum) about that neighborhood and that's what gets the attention.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 AM

633 posts, read 2,724,115 times
I've been reading these boards about Metro West for the past few months and have thought it to be a rough, terrible area! Since I had never been there before, when our friends suggested dinner there this past weekend, I immediately thought... oh no! Anyway, we went to a place that was a top rated Zagat restaurant Sunday night in a really nice area off Hiawassee not far from Metro West country club. As we were driving there I thought this place is really nice, what the heck is everyone talking about?

I realize now that just like some of the people putting down East Orlando that it's probably a very big generalization to say all Metro West is terrible. Just like East Orlando, it's pretty spread out and has good and bad areas. I just think it is a disservice to tell people that know nothing of Orlando that it's MW is hell on earth. Metro West looked pretty darn nice to all four of us the other day.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:32 PM

631 posts, read 2,098,166 times
All anyone has to do is go to Orlandosentinel dot com or local 6 dot com and do a search on metrowest crime. OR just google it. Then make your own decisions. I've lived there and can attest to the daily crime that people who just visit to eat dinner have no idea about.

MW is pretty, there's no doubt about it. Pretty seems to cover up the random crime for a lot of people. Also to anyone looking to move there, I suggest taking a road trip down Highway 50 from Kirkman. Go East or West from Kirkman road for 3 miles.

After that, go down Old Winter Garden Road either way for a few miles. After that, go on down by Universal and head west for a few miles. Those are your boundaries that surround MW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando