Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,740 times

Advertisements

What are some good areas to live in. Just my wife and I. Dont need to live in Orlando but not far as work will prob be in Orlando. What are the towns around Orlando like. Prob will rent initiaily. Any info is appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
do you have a job lined up? most towns surrounding Orlando are nice places to live besides pinehills. Downtown Orlando neighborhoods are nice. Oviedo, winter park, maitland, Waterford lakes, lake nona, dr Phillips, clermont, and winter garden are all good places to live.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfly View Post
What are some good areas to live in. Just my wife and I. Dont need to live in Orlando but not far as work will prob be in Orlando. What are the towns around Orlando like. Prob will rent initiaily. Any info is appreciated. thanks
Im going to repeat GLS' statement that you both should have jobs lined up. Unemployment in Orlando is almost 12%, I believe we are second highest in the nation behind Las Vegas which is 13.1% if I'm not mistaken

Though, even when the economy was booming you still had to be in the know with people to find a good paying job

The best suburbs in Orlando are in East Orange County which includes Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park, University Park, the UCF area as well as Lee Vista

In South and Southwest Orange County you have Hunter's Creek (I live here), Dr. Phillips, Meadow Woods, Williamsburg (very affordable and nice), Meadow Woods, Wyndham Lakes, Bay Hill, Isle Worth and Windermere (the last 4 are for those who live a premium lifestyle so its not cheap)

Just north of Downtown you have Winter Park and Maitland which are very ncie for the most part, also expensive

Winter Garden has a lot of brand new subdivisions that are very nice as well.

Then you have Seminole County the only places here that I dont recommend are Casselberry and Sanford, otherwise perhaps the best place in the Orlando area to live

Good luck to you guys

Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im going to repeat GLS' statement that you both should have jobs lined up. Unemployment in Orlando is almost 12%, I believe we are second highest in the nation behind Las Vegas which is 13.1% if I'm not mistaken
You are very mistaken, but that's for another thread.

Quote:
Though, even when the economy was booming you still had to be in the know with people to find a good paying job
Totally false. (OP, keep in mind that the kid who wrote this is 18 years old and works p/t as a cashier at a grocery store.)

There are good paying jobs around here if you have the skills and education that match local availability. Particularly in certain engineering fields, most health care fields, and certain high tech fields. If on the other hand you are a sheetrocker and your wife is an admin, I would not suggestmoving to this area without at least six months full living expenses in the bank.

Quote:
The best suburbs in Orlando are in East Orange County which includes Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park, University Park, the UCF area as well as Lee Vista

Just north of Downtown you have Winter Park and Maitland which are very ncie for the most part, also expensive

Winter Garden has a lot of brand new subdivisions that are very nice as well.

Then you have Seminole County the only places here that I dont recommend are Casselberry and Sanford, otherwise perhaps the best place in the Orlando area to live
OP--It really depends on where you'll be working. Traffic around here can be a bear, and there are no particularly direct ways to get from some places to toher places. If you don't know where you'll be working before you get here, I'd suggest looking at a fairly central area, either downtown Orlando/Thorton Park/Colonialtown or Doctor Phillips. If you can give us an idea of what you do for a living, we might be able to give you an idea based on where most of the jobs in that feild tend to be located.

Quote:
In South and Southwest Orange County you have Hunter's Creek (I live here), Dr. Phillips, Meadow Woods, Williamsburg (very affordable and nice), Meadow Woods, Wyndham Lakes, Bay Hill, Isle Worth and Windermere (the last 4 are for those who live a premium lifestyle so its not cheap)
I notice that all of Lake County was left out. There are several communities in Lake County which are desirable and depending on where you'll be working, very convenient. Mount Dora is convenient to the northern Orange County and eastern Seminole area where a lot of the high tech jobs are located, and many people love it's small town charm. Clermont is an exurb with easy access to the turnpike and 408. Many who live in Clermont work in Clermont or surrounding Lake County and seldom need to leave the area--it's got shopping, a movie theater, nightlife, a hospital, and more. That said, I wouldn't want to commute from Clermont to the Lake Mary or UCF areas for work.

It really depends on your budget and where you'll be working. Give us more info and we can give you better advice.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You are very mistaken, but that's for another thread.

Totally false. (OP, keep in mind that the kid who wrote this is 18 years old and works p/t as a cashier at a grocery store.)

There are good paying jobs around here if you have the skills and education that match local availability. Particularly in certain engineering fields, most health care fields, and certain high tech fields. If on the other hand you are a sheetrocker and your wife is an admin, I would not suggestmoving to this area without at least six months full living expenses in the bank.

OP--It really depends on where you'll be working. Traffic around here can be a bear, and there are no particularly direct ways to get from some places to toher places. If you don't know where you'll be working before you get here, I'd suggest looking at a fairly central area, either downtown Orlando/Thorton Park/Colonialtown or Doctor Phillips. If you can give us an idea of what you do for a living, we might be able to give you an idea based on where most of the jobs in that feild tend to be located.

I notice that all of Lake County was left out. There are several communities in Lake County which are desirable and depending on where you'll be working, very convenient. Mount Dora is convenient to the northern Orange County and eastern Seminole area where a lot of the high tech jobs are located, and many people love it's small town charm. Clermont is an exurb with easy access to the turnpike and 408. Many who live in Clermont work in Clermont or surrounding Lake County and seldom need to leave the area--it's got shopping, a movie theater, nightlife, a hospital, and more. That said, I wouldn't want to commute from Clermont to the Lake Mary or UCF areas for work.

It really depends on your budget and where you'll be working. Give us more info and we can give you better advice.
Im not 18 annerk Im 20. Get your facts straight, please

I left Lake County out for a reason. Like you said Clermont is an exurb. Its a nice community but I think people should only relocate there if they are going to have a job in Clermont or the immediate surrounding area.

Im sure some people in Clermont commute to Lake Mary or UCF some jsut yearn for that exurbian lifestyle like you have. Most communities in Lake County however are too far from Orlando to commute there and have a good job. Clermont, and Mount Dora being the exceptions

But 50 bucks says a majority of people looking to move here will most likely move to Orange or Seminole County. That is where all the few job openings that still exist are at. Not to say there isn't any in Clermont there are, but there are probably more openings in more urbanized areas yes?

When I said Seminole County I recommended all of Seminole County except Casselberry along 436 and 17-92 and Sanford especially the Midway area. Those areas are dumps. (No offense to anybody living there, thats just my opinion). I would highly recommend Oviedo, I've only been there a few times but I get a very good vibe from the area.

The unemployment rate in Orlando may not be the 2nd highest in the nation, I apologize for making that statement. But it is 13% in Vegas, makes me think twice about moving there The unemployment rate here in Orlando is dangerously close to 12% (it's 11.7% last time I checked)

As far as being in the know about finding decent paying jobs that is true. My problem right now is I have no facts to back it up. But I guarantee you about 80% of people are in the jobs they're in right now because somebody recommended them to their boss.

But in this economy even the minimum wage paying jobs probably get 60 applicants per opening. The sad part is a lot of these people are college grads who have all kinds of degrees who cant get jobs right now. Its truly sad

Old 01-23-2010, 06:56 AM

I also left out Osceola County for good reasons. Celebration is the exception, but you couldn't PAY me to live in Osceola County. That place is the complete pits.

A lot of people like it over Orange County but not me. I have too many issues with Osceola County

Old 01-23-2010, 07:28 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
Quote:

I left Lake County out for a reason. Like you said Clermont is an exurb. Its a nice community but I think people should only relocate there if they are going to have a job in Clermont or the immediate surrounding area.

Im sure some people in Clermont commute to Lake Mary or UCF some jsut yearn for that exurbian lifestyle like you have. Most communities in Lake County however are too far from Orlando to commute there and have a good job. Clermont, and Mount Dora being the exceptions

But 50 bucks says a majority of people looking to move here will most likely move to Orange or Seminole County. That is where all the few job openings that still exist are at. Not to say there isn't any in Clermont there are, but there are probably more openings in more urbanized areas yes?

When I said Seminole County I recommended all of Seminole County except Casselberry along 436 and 17-92 and Sanford especially the Midway area. Those areas are dumps. (No offense to anybody living there, thats just my opinion). I would highly recommend Oviedo, I've only been there a few times but I get a very good vibe from the area.

The unemployment rate in Orlando may not be the 2nd highest in the nation, I apologize for making that statement. But it is 13% in Vegas, makes me think twice about moving there The unemployment rate here in Orlando is dangerously close to 12% (it's 11.7% last time I checked)

As far as being in the know about finding decent paying jobs that is true. My problem right now is I have no facts to back it up. But I guarantee you about 80% of people are in the jobs they're in right now because somebody recommended them to their boss.

But in this economy even the minimum wage paying jobs probably get 60 applicants per opening. The sad part is a lot of these people are college grads who have all kinds of degrees who cant get jobs right now. Its truly sad
you can easily commute from Clermont to Orlando, and many people do. It's less than a 30 min commute. you can get to the ucf area from clermont in about 30 mins, so you get to downtown from clermont in about 15-20 mins.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:

Wrong answer again grasshopper. It's very easy to get to jobs in Winter Garden, Metrowest, Dr. Phillips, and northern John Young from Clermont. There is also an express Lynx commuter bus that you can take to downtown Orlando.

Quote:
Actually I know people in Leesburg and Tavares that commute to the Universal area, and people in Eustis who go to Lake Mary and the high tech area.

Quote:
Based on growth numbers over the past several years, you are very, very wrong. And no, not all the jobs are in Orange County. In fact Sumter County has a lower u/e rate than any of the rest of central Florida.

Quote:
The average was 11.8 as of the numbers released yesterday.

Quote:
It is not true, period. Do you really think that John hires Bob for an engineering position because Bob's brother-in-law told John he's a great guy? The only thing that having a network in place will get you is the ability to network and get your resume under a hiring managers nose from someone "inside." That doesn't guarantee you a job--not even close. Employers want to hire the most qualified person they can get, and frankly most of them don't care who you know. By the way, I have a good paying job and didn't know anyone at the company or even directly in that industry before I was hired. I responded to an employment ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando