Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 04:45 AM

9 posts, read 28,736 times

Advertisements

My family and I will most likely be moving to Orlando this spring (our other possible location is Clearwater/Tampa area).

Since I'm not super familiar with the area, I was hoping someone could help. We'll be renting a house (or apt if thats our only option) and there are a few things I'm looking for:

-Decent to good/great schools (my kids are both 9)
-Good/easy access to public transportation that gets to downtown area fairly quickly (within 30 mins time is good)
-Low crime (violent crimes mostly and anything kid related)
-Less than an hour (if possible) from Leesburg
-Rent prices around $850-950 for 3 bedrooms

I don't mind living in what some consider the ghetto, as I lived in Jersey City (if you've ever been there, you'd understand) and Brooklyn, so Florida's ghetto/run down areas are my grassy knolls. So long as the ghetto isn't full of crime (ghetto being less new homes, run down areas, industrial areas, shopping centers instead of new malls, etc).

If anyone on the Orlando board has info regarding Tampa and the best areas to live there too (same criteria) I'd totally appreciate it.

Also, best places to fish in Orlando??

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
The problem is finding a 3BR apartment in your price range in an area with good schools. You'll need to stay west of I-4 pretty much to accomplish the "hour to Leesburg" criteria and 30 minutes to downtown by public transit--that really limits you to only a haldful of areas to choose from. Maybe look in Altamonte Springs, but I can't speak for the schools there.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 AM

9 posts, read 28,736 times
Thanks for replying.

The Leesburg thing isn't mandatory, just kind of a wishlist thing. And not even for me (so I'm okay if that isn't part of the criteria).

I'd had a friend who lived in Altamonte Springs years ago and I loved the area then, although this was upwards of 8 years ago, so I really have no idea what it is like now.

I've read that Pine Hills is an area to be avoided, though I haven't really seen why. A lot of the home/apt prices are decent there so I'm just curious why it's so awful to live in?

I'm on the fence about the school system. I don't really know what to compare it to. The school systems here (Phoenix) aren't great but they aren't bad either. My kids are doing really well, better than when we lived in Jersey (and their schools were supposedly better than Phoenix's). I think as long as the school system doesn't have massive amounts of budget cuts on good programs, and there are good teachers, I'm happy.

The most important criteria is the public transportation as we only have one car right now and there are 3 of us to share it.

Hope that helps clarify.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemari7 View Post
Thanks for replying.

The Leesburg thing isn't mandatory, just kind of a wishlist thing. And not even for me (so I'm okay if that isn't part of the criteria).

I'd had a friend who lived in Altamonte Springs years ago and I loved the area then, although this was upwards of 8 years ago, so I really have no idea what it is like now.

I've read that Pine Hills is an area to be avoided, though I haven't really seen why. A lot of the home/apt prices are decent there so I'm just curious why it's so awful to live in?

I'm on the fence about the school system. I don't really know what to compare it to. The school systems here (Phoenix) aren't great but they aren't bad either. My kids are doing really well, better than when we lived in Jersey (and their schools were supposedly better than Phoenix's). I think as long as the school system doesn't have massive amounts of budget cuts on good programs, and there are good teachers, I'm happy.

The most important criteria is the public transportation as we only have one car right now and there are 3 of us to share it.

Hope that helps clarify.
Pine hills is crime ridden, it's also one of the largest African American communities in Orlando.

Altamonte Springs is a nice area and the schools are great, Lake brantley high school (where altamomte is zoned for) is one of the top rated schools in metro Orlando.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
I can't think of anywhere that fits the criteria you are looking for. $950 max might get you a 3 br in Pine Hills or Parramore but I'm not even sure about that.

I came to the O in 2001 from Queens. I know you are coming from JC, but southern ghettos are different than northern ghettos. The projects are not in high rise buildings down here.....they look like regular apt communities till you get up close. They may seem quiet at first, but stuff pops off really quick, and you can get caught up. And these southern "thugs" aint' big on northerners.

Also mass transit is nowhere near as comprehensive as in NY. A 15 minute car trip will be a 2 hour adventure on the Lynx. IMO, I would try to save up to buy a little POS just to run errands and whatnot.

I really think you need to come down and really take a comprehensive look into what you will be getting into. Do not underestimate what it will cost to live down here: it can end up being more expensive than you think.

If anyone on the Orlando board has info regarding Tampa and the best areas to live there too (same criteria) I'd totally appreciate it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. [/quote]

Old 01-27-2010, 02:09 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I can't think of anywhere that fits the criteria you are looking for. $950 max might get you a 3 br in Pine Hills or Parramore but I'm not even sure about that.

I came to the O in 2001 from Queens. I know you are coming from JC, but southern ghettos are different than northern ghettos. The projects are not in high rise buildings down here.....they look like regular apt communities till you get up close. They may seem quiet at first, but stuff pops off really quick, and you can get caught up. And these southern "thugs" aint' big on northerners.

Also mass transit is nowhere near as comprehensive as in NY. A 15 minute car trip will be a 2 hour adventure on the Lynx. IMO, I would try to save up to buy a little POS just to run errands and whatnot.

I really think you need to come down and really take a comprehensive look into what you will be getting into. Do not underestimate what it will cost to live down here: it can end up being more expensive than you think.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

The coast and Lake Monroe/Jessup/Harney are probably the best places in the area for good fishing. But you can get decent fishing from all of the lakes here.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,724 times
From Ericka Courtney, a native of Orlando, Florida. Alright, everything you've read is not true. Yes PineHills is crime ridden and it is populated mostly by blacks and Latinos, that does not guarantee crime, it just means you'll be living next to blacks. Got a problem with that? Probably Not. I live in Downtown Orlando. I pay very little to live here. My place is modest and under 700 monthly. The person who told you to stay West of I-4 is incorrect. You wanna stay East of 1-4. Or just after you cross Orange Avenue South. West of Orange Avenue is the way to go. If you're on the other side, you're going to be in Hell when it comes to good education for your kids. I'm in hell right now. I have Great shopping, great community, great people, Horrible school zoning. Pay extra for the good schools. It's possible to get a 3 bedroom for 800.00 monthly and be in a good community of predominantly white. I have white neighbors on both sides of me, Latinos across the street and blacks on the corner. I'm black. My community is quiet with a few cute kids running around. Shopping is a block away, I love it here, but the school I'm zoned for is miserable. Do this honey, Bing. Just Bing what you want and enter the amount, room size, type and you'll be on your way to find what you want and need for your family. ) Thanks Ericka Courtney

Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,724 times
Oh yeah and another thing about the transportation, on the main strip of Orange Avenue which happens to be a wonderful community, just see for yourself is right on the bus line. There are nothing short of 7 buses that drive up this street. Now they do not run late in the hours, possibly up to 9 or 10 p.m. but they run good and will get you to the Library, downtown Orlando, the courthouses, clubs, and all things within a 10 mile radius pretty quickly. I don't have a car, and the public transportation system is not so bad if you can afford it. It costs $50.00 a month for one person to ride all you want. $25.00 for a child over 6-18. The daily rate is 2.00 and a discount for kids of 1.00. You can transfer for free. The bus system sucks in this regard. No benches, no covering in bad weather, so bring your umbrella. LOL Other than that, you're fine. If you find a bench or covering, you're lucky as hell. I know Seminole County and Orange County like the back of my hands. Altamonte Springs is awesome!!!!!! But...over priced and away from the city. You can find a 3 bedroom apartment for $650.00 there about 3 miles from groceries, but very close to parks. You will compromise your community though. I've just done the searching thing so I know what's available. Don't be fooled, there is good and bad no matter where you are. Altamonte is good, but it does have crime. Pine Hills, if you're looking to rent, don't go there. It's over priced and way too many foreclosures. I have a relative whose paying over 900 to live there, and I pay 200 less for better surroundings. Go figure. Got questions, keep em coming.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericka Courtney View Post
From Ericka Courtney, a native of Orlando, Florida. Alright, everything you've read is not true. Yes PineHills is crime ridden and it is populated mostly by blacks and Latinos, that does not guarantee crime, it just means you'll be living next to blacks. Got a problem with that? Probably Not. I live in Downtown Orlando. I pay very little to live here. My place is modest and under 700 monthly. The person who told you to stay West of I-4 is incorrect. You wanna stay East of 1-4. Or just after you cross Orange Avenue South. West of Orange Avenue is the way to go. If you're on the other side, you're going to be in Hell when it comes to good education for your kids. I'm in hell right now. I have Great shopping, great community, great people, Horrible school zoning. Pay extra for the good schools. It's possible to get a 3 bedroom for 800.00 monthly and be in a good community of predominantly white. I have white neighbors on both sides of me, Latinos across the street and blacks on the corner. I'm black. My community is quiet with a few cute kids running around. Shopping is a block away, I love it here, but the school I'm zoned for is miserable. Do this honey, Bing. Just Bing what you want and enter the amount, room size, type and you'll be on your way to find what you want and need for your family. ) Thanks Ericka Courtney
Ah the product of an Orange County education. Go back and read what I wrote. They want to stay West of I-4 in order to be within and hour of Leesburg, like they requested in their original post.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
To the OP, I would check out Atlamonte Springs first, since you have some history there. Its a great community. Altamonte has good schools, as does most of Seminole County. Winter Springs, parts of Apopka or Oviedo are nice too.

As for public transportation, does that really exist yet in CFL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando