U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,337,958 times

Advertisements

Some photos from Shake Shack yesterday. Always love the patio by the water. Some people were out there on the water with their dog.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 02:47 PM

536 posts, read 672,214 times
Bellalago sunrise

Old 08-08-2015, 05:25 PM
PDF

Another glorious day in Orlando. Eating at Shake Shack lakeside and then paddleboarding in Lake Killarney never gets old. Last photo is of the Shake Shack at the I-Drive 360 complex that is opening later in the year, you guys in Orlando are so lucky to having a growing numbers of Shacks.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:00 PM

20,645 posts, read 20,226,532 times
Nice pictures, do they have paddlebord rentals near there or did you bring your own??

Old 08-08-2015, 09:05 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Nice pictures, do they have paddlebord rentals near there or did you bring your own??
Thanks. I just rent one. The shop is right there in the plaza.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:30 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,692,998 times
So I figured it's been too long since there's been a comprehensive photo thread for Orlando's Downtown and near areas. My camera is far from great, but here goes anyways. One is a stock, since it was difficult to get a full arena perspective since the lights weren't on. Also, as noted by one of the pictures, CityView is at least looking pretty classy, though I now wish I would've gotten a shot of it with the rest of the neighborhood to sort of capture the changing nature. The arena has plenty of bells and whistles, which I'm not positive that I'm big on, but at very least, it's hard to deny that it is one of the, if not the most state of the art arenas in the NBA, or all of sports. I got to peek into the locker room (no pictures), but apparently they even have an underwater jogging machine in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-046.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-047.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-039.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-059.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-amway1.jpg  

Old 08-20-2015, 08:45 PM

Church Street has really grown up before my eyes. I remember when first moving here, and even after the Magic took over the stadium, when your choices down there were essentially fast food, or bars that had more of a college-y vibe. It really has matured a lot, and I wanted to capture that. Note in the first shot how the stadium is visible from a vibrant downtown street that people almost have to walk on in order to get to the game... Other cities should take notes. Also worth noting that the Exchange Building, which was developed in 1889 with Plant as a Gateway to Tampa, unlike Tampa's major station (I think) was preserved. It's getting use to, as it will be home to a Ferg's unless something has changed, and more significantly is home to the largest startup and tech meetup in the Southeastern US. I realize that not all of these are on Church Street, but I do consider them all to be the Church Street District.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-033.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-032.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-025.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-026.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-028.jpg  

Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 PM

Next up is the Wall Street District (I know, broad parameters!)

It actually is a pretty neat place to stroll down during the day, and I think it's cool to see the business professionals out enjoying lunch, a sharp contrast from later in the evening. I love the way City Hall (right?) lines up with the end of the street there. Yes, I did take a stock photo of The Beacham, yet to attend a concert there. As far as the OCRHC, has anyone visited there recently? I know it's like 10$, but if I have the opportunity to stay in Orlando, there's a good chance I'll get a membership there. It's at a modest 67,000 Sq. Feet, but that still gives it the distinction of being the largest museum in the downtown section of The Big 4 Cities (Miami, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa). There are asterisks all over that claim, but who cares.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-009.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-018.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-020.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-thebeacham.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-027.jpg  

Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 PM

A little under 9 months ago, I had the opportunity (everyone did, but that makes it sound more special) to attend the opening reception festivities at the DPPAC. Unfortunately, I didn't have the forethought to take pictures in advance. However, I figured that Orlando's "Front Porch" did need some love. 2 of these are stock, I'll leave you all to guess which! One thing I really like about the theater design is how even though it is brand new, it sort of gives more of a classic effect in appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-074.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-dppac1.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-dppac2.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-dppac3.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-pugh.png  

Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 PM

For the final portion, I figured I'd add some random shots I had the opportunity to see while exploring downtown, each with a little guide.

1. This Church (Cathedral Church of St. Luke) has a very interesting history. For one thing, it was constructed by Frohman, Robb, and Little, the same guys who designed the Washington National Cathedral. For another thing, before moving into these cozy digs in 1922, the congregation and Orlando's early history was in some ways developed by a person who is likely one of the most influential to pass through Orlando, Francis Eppes. He was the grandson of Thomas Jefferson, and was actually quite close to him, becoming the only person who's land directly reached him in inheritance (after staying frequently at Monticello, he inherited the Poplar Forest Plantation, which today can still be visited). Following that, he moved to Tallahassee, and founded the Florida State Women's College, now known as the Florida State University. However, the guy invested all his money in the confederate dollar, which didn't count for much after the Civil War, and so penniless, he sought yet another fresh start in Orlando. He is now buried at Greenwood Cemetery.

2. Orlando Public Library. Because having a library that is aesthetically pleasing is so overrated! Yay brutalism and looking like a Cold War compound! All kidding aside, the library does seem to serve it's purpose quite well, and I've heard that the technology programs and Dorothy Lumley Melrose Center is excellent. However, the real kicker here is those real colorful looking things you see on the side of the building. Apparently there are levers on each of them, and if you press right, it makes music. Someone really does need to try that and confirm for me so that I save myself potential disappointment.

3. Orlando City Hall. I'd never been there, so there's that. Also, probably the most well known movie to be set in Orlando, Lethal Weapon 3, was located here, where the Old Orlando City Hall actually forreal gets blown up for one of the scenes.

4. Oh. And there's an art gallery inside. Not much else, but I suppose I can say I've been there now.

5. Remember Dr. Phillips? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Phillips_ (businessman) He was really smart and owned a lot of Citrus. And got this really sweet, hard to find house as a result. I think it's one of the better Victorians you'll find, especially in FL.

That's it for now, though I plan on doing another round DT at some point, plus some at UCF, and some other areas around town. Hope you all enjoyed!
Attached Thumbnails
Orlando Pictures Thread-st.-lukes2.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-007.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-069.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-073.jpg   Orlando Pictures Thread-orl-part-1-085.jpg  

Last edited by cavsfan137; 08-20-2015 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando