U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,671 times

Advertisements

If you want the convenience of Orlando, but also want a safer and stable neighborhood, try Winter Park, FL. It's a suburb of Orlando, but it offers much better environment. I like Orlando okay, but I LOVE Winter Park

I personally think there are too many immigrants in Orlando area, making the city unsafe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 PM

1,571 posts, read 3,445,539 times
Traffic will only get worse in Orlando as long as people keep moving down here and buying houses out in the 'burbs. It is not horrible now but it will get worse if the trend continues. Taxes are indeed pretty high on property, they are much higher than the rest of the country. I guess it depends where you live though in Florida.

And, I think wanting to live near Disney is an appropriate thing to criticize. It is a plus, but it is not something you should really base your whole life around, and certainly doesn't outweigh the negatives that you can get by moving to Orlando.

The worst thing about Orlando is just the rootlessness of the place. It is like Las Vegas only more family friendly. Very little sense of community on anybody's part. Some people don't care about that but that is why so many Americans lead impoverished, meaningless lives that we fill full of "stuff".

I would look into Avalon Park, Celebration, Baldwin Park, or the Winter Park/Maitlant area, honestly. I like those areas the best and they have the best sense of community or potential for community, and alot of cultural activities- Winter Park has a park, museums, lots of trees, nice architecture, etc. They are not cheap to live in- I suggest renting right now. Trust me, suburbs are boring, soul-destroying places and your kids will have just as much fun in a smaller house in a nicer town setting where they can walk or ride a bike to their friends house, where you can actually walk down to the store instead of driving, etc. The above mentioned places are alot like that in parts, and they have some real character to them. Traffic is a bit worse than the burbs (except Avalon Park) but I think the ambience more than makes up for it.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 PM

94 posts, read 278,277 times
wow if all you people hate this place maybe you should find a new place to live. do not worry about all the negativity. it is like allplaces, you have to be careful where you chosse to live and which areas of town you will frequent. but it is still a nice place to live. although taxes are high to us i know that for many people from northern states, it is tax relief.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:38 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,217,915 times
Thumbs down Looks like someone will need another lease on life after coming to Orlando...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaseonlife View Post
Hello All,

My family and I are thinking of making a move to Florida and need some information. We are looking for an area within 30 minutes of Walt Disney World. I can retire from my job in October 2007 and my wife is a RN so job prospects dont worry me. We have 3 children, 1 will start middle school in the fall and 2 will be in elementary school. I have lived in central Maryland my entire life. 41 years to be exact. What we are looking for is the perfect life. Low taxes, low crime and an exceptional school district with parental involvement. Also looking for a new or nearly new developement. Somewhere in the range of 350,000-450,000. Also low traffic congestion would be great. I have traveled I-95 in MD for work for 20 years and I hate traffic. The reason for being close to Disney is because we love Disney and would like to visit more often. We also need easy access to recreational facilities. We were recently in WDW and traveling from the airport to our resort it seemed all the schools had portables in thier yards. We would like to avoid that situation if at all possible. I have enough of that here. I know this is a lot to ask but any information would be greatly appreciated.
You know it is kind of ironical.... your username is "NewLeaseOnLife" and you wnat to move down to Orlando.... you will need another lease once you become a victim of a violent crime by one of the thosands of violent aliens and hurricane Katrina people..

Listen to your list of requirements.... low traffic, low crime, exceptional schools....

Sir, Orlando has NONE OF YOUR REQUIREMENTS. I lived there all my life, trust me on this one... specially the low traffic one. Orlando has some of the worst traffic out there with crazy tourists who have no clue where they are going and drive like maniacs and scores of illegal aliens w/o driver's licenses or insurance who literally kill whole familes in crashes and then run off. The schools in Florida are horrible. I lived in Kentucky.. KENTUCKY and the schools were 100 times better, every student had a computer or shared one (this was back in 1995)!! In Orlando, I had classes with 55 students and 1 teacher... don't believe me, check out Mr. Fogg's math classroom at the Dr. Philips HS on the expensive Turkey Lake Road area. He probably has more than 55 students per class, I bet.

If you cannot afford Celebration like Prichard said, you will probably be stuck in a crazppy place like Kissimmee or Poinciana and seriously, you will be THE ONLY non-Hispanic person there. Now unless you are ok with spending $400,000 for a 2/2 condo, then forget Celebration. Then you are stuck in the pathetic suburban areas of Orlando.

Not to mention people keep moving down there and the dumb idiots who run Central Florida do not build any infrastructure.... I mean I was in Orlando 2 and 1/2 weeks ago... they have not built or expanded 1 dangonned road since probably 2000. It is insanity to move to such an area that is growing like pitiful cities like Detroit did. And look at Detroit now.

Last edited by Nirvana-Guy; 05-29-2007 at 11:46 PM..

Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,757 times
I Strongly suggest to take another look at moving down here. i have lived here for 15 years and i can honestly say i wish i had an option to move some where else. This place is getting worst and worst. Crime is going up and up.
For the sake of your family think it over. I thought this was the perfect place but i can honestly say not any more. good luck in your search. i hope this personal insight is of help to you.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 AM

239 posts, read 688,689 times
Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Traffic will only get worse in Orlando as long as people keep moving down here and buying houses out in the 'burbs. It is not horrible now but it will get worse if the trend continues. Taxes are indeed pretty high on property, they are much higher than the rest of the country. I guess it depends where you live though in Florida.

And, I think wanting to live near Disney is an appropriate thing to criticize. It is a plus, but it is not something you should really base your whole life around, and certainly doesn't outweigh the negatives that you can get by moving to Orlando.

The worst thing about Orlando is just the rootlessness of the place. It is like Las Vegas only more family friendly. Very little sense of community on anybody's part. Some people don't care about that but that is why so many Americans lead impoverished, meaningless lives that we fill full of "stuff".

I would look into Avalon Park, Celebration, Baldwin Park, or the Winter Park/Maitlant area, honestly. I like those areas the best and they have the best sense of community or potential for community, and alot of cultural activities- Winter Park has a park, museums, lots of trees, nice architecture, etc. They are not cheap to live in- I suggest renting right now. Trust me, suburbs are boring, soul-destroying places and your kids will have just as much fun in a smaller house in a nicer town setting where they can walk or ride a bike to their friends house, where you can actually walk down to the store instead of driving, etc. The above mentioned places are alot like that in parts, and they have some real character to them. Traffic is a bit worse than the burbs (except Avalon Park) but I think the ambience more than makes up for it.
I've been reading these boards for over a year, and have never posted until today. I lived in Orlando for 6 years, Tampa for 3, and then went to Atlanta for 2 - all with the same company. I just sold my home in Atlanta, and am living in an apartment while we look for housing.

The reason I am responding to this post is because IMHO this is a very unbiased, accurate response. I have offices in Vegas, and the comment about Orlando being Vegas with a more family friendly orientation is absolutely correct.

My wife and i have decided to not buy a home, and to ask for a transfer as soon as the lease is up. I LOVED Orlando when I was younger, I have lots of friends here, but it's time to go.

When people ask me what I like and dislike, my answers are the same.

Like = always something to do...if you can afford it.

Dislike = big city traffic, big city crime, big city taxes WITHOUT the benefits of the big city! I mean, how many times can you have brunch in College, Thornton, or Winter Park before it starts to get old?

I am not an Orlando basher. It kills me to see the "City Beautiful" morphing into the "City Ghetto" but my God, I can't even get help in English at the Bank of America anymore - and no, I'm not talking about on the historically spanish sides of town!

My advice to anyone would be this: If you don't mind a bit of traffic and rude people, and your idea of culture is pixie dust, Starbucks, and endless strip malls, and you do not want ANY sense of community, you can do a lot worse than Orlando. However, if you want to take in a show, have access to hundreds of small family-owned bistros, know and care about your neighbors, etc. Check out Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, or a real city.

I've spent almost a decade here in Central Florida, but it's changed so much just in the pst two, I'm worried about where it will be in 5.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:11 PM

101 posts, read 304,891 times
I think you should look at Davenport, Fl small town close to Disney, but it is not Orlando its in Polk county Four Corners area close to 192 and I-4, has Charter schools in the area, Davenport school of the Arts,also a hospital Heart of Florida Hosp. I am a RN also pm me if any other ?.

CM

Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaseonlife View Post
Hello All,

My family and I are thinking of making a move to Florida and need some information. We are looking for an area within 30 minutes of Walt Disney World. I can retire from my job in October 2007 and my wife is a RN so job prospects dont worry me. We have 3 children, 1 will start middle school in the fall and 2 will be in elementary school. I have lived in central Maryland my entire life. 41 years to be exact. What we are looking for is the perfect life. Low taxes, low crime and an exceptional school district with parental involvement. Also looking for a new or nearly new development. Somewhere in the range of 350,000-450,000. Also low traffic congestion would be great. I have traveled I-95 in MD for work for 20 years and I hate traffic. The reason for being close to Disney is because we love Disney and would like to visit more often. We also need easy access to recreational facilities. We were recently in WDW and traveling from the airport to our resort it seemed all the schools had portables in thier yards. We would like to avoid that situation if at all possible. I have enough of that here. I know this is a lot to ask but any information would be greatly appreciated.
I have lived in the Orlando area for the past 15 years in the HVAC trade. What I have directly witnessed is the developers/builders ruining this state.If you come down here for the reasons stated you will be very disappointed.The grass always looks greener on the other side until you actually get there.Florida is above all else a tourist destination.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:39 AM

239 posts, read 688,689 times
Default Greener

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendy58 View Post
I have lived in the Orlando area for the past 15 years in the HVAC trade. What I have directly witnessed is the developers/builders ruining this state.If you come down here for the reasons stated you will be very disappointed.The grass always looks greener on the other side until you actually get there.Florida is above all else a tourist destination.
In addition, the grass always looks greener over the septic tank! Be careful...Disney may not make your world!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 AM

1,418 posts, read 8,862,609 times
Orlando v. Atlanta??? Well, I've lived in Orlando most of my life; also spent considerable time in Atlanta. While we may have higher crime in Orlando that perhaps several years ago, it's nothing compared to Atlanta. I can honestly say that there are very few places in Orlando (including slums and even the infamous Pine Hills) that I haven't been, or wouldn't go to.

However, the entire south side of Atlanta is not a place that a person of my color persuasion would ever go to. Traffic in Atlanta is a little worse than Orlando's. There are two lakes worth going to north of Atlanta and everyone who has a boat crouds into those two lakes. Sure, the mountains that are 1.5 hours north of Atlanta are beautiful - but that ain't Atlanta.

I used to love Atlanta about 20 years ago. Atlanta used to pride itself on being a city that was built leaving the forest still standing. Now, when you drive through Atlanta north of 285, all of the new developments have clear-cut the land, leaving no large trees standing. The place has really changed. I Considered moving there several times, but I didn't like the uncontroled growth and sprawl that has made Atlanta its official "poster child".

I'm not crazy about Orlando's uncontroled growth - but, I wouldn't trade it for Atlanta! At least not just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando