U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:34 PM

44 posts, read 209,900 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My family and I are thinking of making a move to Florida and need some information. We are looking for an area within 30 minutes of Walt Disney World. I can retire from my job in October 2007 and my wife is a RN so job prospects dont worry me. We have 3 children, 1 will start middle school in the fall and 2 will be in elementary school. I have lived in central Maryland my entire life. 41 years to be exact. What we are looking for is the perfect life. Low taxes, low crime and an exceptional school district with parental involvement. Also looking for a new or nearly new developement. Somewhere in the range of 350,000-450,000. Also low traffic congestion would be great. I have traveled I-95 in MD for work for 20 years and I hate traffic. The reason for being close to Disney is because we love Disney and would like to visit more often. We also need easy access to recreational facilities. We were recently in WDW and traveling from the airport to our resort it seemed all the schools had portables in thier yards. We would like to avoid that situation if at all possible. I have enough of that here. I know this is a lot to ask but any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 06:03 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,009,376 times
Low traffic congestion, low crime and exceptional schools? I think Orlando is the wrong place for you. It sounds to me like you are moving down there for the wrong reasons and without much research. No offense, but moving to be near Disney is a rather naive reason to move to a new state. And NO city offers a "perfect life", especially Orlando. I strongly suggest you visit other parts of Orlando and also research things like crime, weather, congestion, etc. Orlando might not be what you expect.

But congrats on being able to retire at only 41! Wish I could do that.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:44 PM

10,877 posts, read 23,713,242 times
I live in FL now. I moved here from PA 7.5 years ago. I live about 40 minutes north of Disney. I'm about 20 minutes from downtown Orlando. I live in an area called Longwood. When I moved here, I moved to Lake Mary for the top rated schools. It is neighboring Longwood. The best place for schools is Seminole County. Anyhow, I really like the area. Everything is very conveniently located. You have every store and chain restaurant with-in a 5 mile radius. Neighborhoods are safe. The cost of houses, taxes, and insurance have gone up since I've been here. My house is 1600 sq ft. and 2 story. I purchased it brand new in 2003 for $150K. It now values at $275K. Taxes are $2K/yr, insurance $900/yr (up $300 from last year). I think this will be similar to any area located around Orlando. Traffic can be tricky on I-4 during rush hour as with any area. The summers tend to be hot, humid, and long. The rest of the year is beautiful. I do miss the four seasons, but overall, I'd recommend this area if you can afford it. As for work, there are jobs. Many hospitals for your wife to work in. If you enjoy Disney, you get FL diecounts. Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:41 AM

541 posts, read 1,714,903 times
Sorry but I have to agree with Mugatu. Orlando does not have low taxes, low crime, good schools or low traffic! Maybe check out Northern FL.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:04 PM

554 posts, read 1,922,761 times
I too agree with Mugatu. If you want to live in the Orlando area, even in the outlying suburbs of Lake County where I live , traffic congestion and school portables are just our way of life - you get used to it even if you hate it. Low crime? Not here. You can read all the post of areas in Orlando to avoid. Heathrow and Lake Mary have beautiful gated communities - check out the areas off Markham Woods Road to the west of I4. Really fabulous. I would live there if I could afford it. It is more than 30 minutes from Disney though. Why do you want to live so close to Disney unless you plan to work there.
Many homes close to Disney are purchased by people who rent them out on a weekly basis as vacation homes. I would not want to live in a neighborhood with tourist passing through every week.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:18 AM

1,571 posts, read 3,464,115 times
The Orlando area is not a "perfect" place to live. It depends on what you want. There are upsides and downsides.

Having an RN job for your wife is good because that is a job that is always in demand in Florida, "God's waiting room", as some people with a black sense of humor call it.

Wanting to live near Disney seems like an asinine reason to move to a state, honestly. You know I have lived here the majority of my life and the last time I went to Disney was 6-7 years ago before 9/11. The resorts are simply overpriced and not all that entertaining. The only people who live here that actually go to them for "fun" are suckers.

Taxes are not low in Florida. We have no state income tax but property taxes are not necessarily low. Sales taxes will probably go up too, probably as high as 10-12 percent. Good luck getting homeowner's insurance right now too... in case you haven't noticed Florida is constantly belted by hurricanes almost every year.

What is needed is for a few of you types to think long and hard about if you really want to move down here, because honestly this place I used to love is suffering from simply too many people all trying to grab their slice of the pie at rock-bottom prices. Living in Marlyand honestly might not be that bad in comparison. If you don't like commuting to work, buy a smaller house near your job there. All it takes is money.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:57 AM

633 posts, read 2,723,944 times
In the OP's defense, it is their perogative to live where ever they want or like. If they want to live near Disney, so what. We may not think it's a great reason but they do. Also, coming from the NE, the property taxes are cheaper here than there. I paid 4k a year up there. For those of you who have never lived in the Maryland/DC area, traffic is 100% worse than anything you will ever experience in Orlando.

It's all a matter of perspective and everyone is coming from a different vantage point. OP should do a lot of fact-finding as others have said before making such a bold move because after all, there are really nice places down here and LOTS of not so nice places.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:33 AM

541 posts, read 1,714,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Also, coming from the NE, the property taxes are cheaper here than there. I paid 4k a year up there.
Not always. My parents paid $3,200 a year in taxes in Queens NY. They pay $7,000 a year in Celebration-same size lot/smaller house here.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 AM

94 posts, read 279,610 times
If you want to move to orlando, I would suggest either be in central orange county. The only good plac e outside of olrlando iks n lake coutny. The traffic is not bad. I commute in every day at about a 45 min trip to downtown. Not bad traffic comparing the rest of the area. Hoems are abut 50,000 to 75,000 cheaper out here as well. Like every where else taxes/insurance is high. Definitely a great quality of life in a small town atmosphere. We have a home for sale in Eustis listed in the classifieds if your interested. We have to move this summer for job.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 8,899,679 times
Sounds like you might like the town of Celebration - a WDW planned community. WARNING! It ain't cheap, and taxes ain't low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando