U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM

4,610 posts, read 3,657,811 times

Advertisements

My nephew (age 27) and his wife are unemployed and living in a cheap motel in Kissimmee with their three kids (ages 10,6, and 2). The two oldest children have been enrolled in school. His father in Arizona is paying for the motel. They have very little money. We live in Virginia.

Do you know of any social service organizations that could help them get their life in order? They need a place to live and my nephew, who I think has some EMT skills, needs a job.

In my opinion, they both need some counseling (probably even tough love) to help them learn to make better decisions in life. Do you know of any organizations, either federal or state or private, that provide services like this?

I have no experience in matters like this, so we will appreciate any advice or ideas you may have. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 05:17 PM

145 posts, read 354,947 times
Nightmare scenario here!
They need to go to family social services and see whats available. Food stamps, etc. money is tight here and job retraining is non existent as far as I know. How do they live? EMT jobs can be had but they pay little. They probably can qualify for section 8 housing.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM

26,582 posts, read 50,178,023 times
They aren't even taking wait list names for Section 8 any more.

In Florida you can't get an EMT job unless you've got a current certification which you can only get if you:
A. Take the entire course then pass the exam
B. Have a valid EMT certification from another state AND a valid national EMT cert and take and pass the Florida exam.

Most fire departments and hospitals in Florida only hire paramedics. Universal Studios EMS are all paramedic firefighters and RN Paramedics. Disney and UCF have a few EMT's, but most are EMT-I, not B.

They can probably get food stamps and maybe the state health care program for the kids, but at this point there isn't much else.

Have them call 2-1-1 to be connected to the United Way. That's their best bet at this point.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM

593 posts, read 1,125,793 times
Kissimmee is full of families like your nephew. There are very few resources in the Orlando area. Its survival of the fittest. What kind of work does the wife do? Maybe we can suggest some places that are hiring.One place that may help is the Osceola council on aging.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM

Many thanks to all of you for responding so quickly. My wife and I sincerely appreciate it.

A nightmare is the perfect description for this situation and we're hoping we can help end this nightmare for them.

I did find a place that will provide lunches and dinners for people in their situation. This will hold them over for the time being.

Contacting the United Way and the Osceola council on aging is a great idea. We will look into that and also section 8 housing.

Going to "family social services" is a great idea, but when I did a web search on that topic I got lots of names. One place I called was not helpful at all. Does anyone have any specific phone numbers of places that you think could help us?

There's a strong possibility that our nephew's wife is pregnant again; so, the chances of her being hired for a job will be extremely slim.

We did find a career counseling center in Kissimmee that we feel will be helpful for our nephew.

Is anyone familar with the Brooksville area in Hernando County? It's located just west of the Orlando area.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 PM

26,582 posts, read 50,178,023 times
Brooksville is hardly "just west" of Orlando. It's on the Gulf Coast--maybe 10 miles at the most from the coast.

And before they decide to bring another kid into this world they should be able to take care of the ones they alrady have. Talk about a case study for manadatory chemical castration.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:39 PM

Can't argue with that! Love the smack on the head icon. Believe me, I wish I could smack them on the head. They just keep making the wrong decisions. That is why I mentioned the 'tough love' in my original post.

However, their three kids are absolutely wonderful, so they must have some good parenting skills. I just wish they could get help to manage their lives better.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM

482 posts, read 2,074,868 times
Be sure to tell them to watch their kids real closely and do not leave them alone with anyone they meet, most of the registered sexual predators and offenders live in those cheap hotels as well as folks use those rooms to make meth in, and they need to keep their door shut when they are in the room, they really need to be careful. I just retired from the Sheriff's Office and I know what goes on. Social services are very hard to come by there, as someone mentioned, they can go to the Florida Department of Children and Families Office to apply for food stamps.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 PM

593 posts, read 1,125,793 times
Getting assistance for anything is a fulltime job. You have to start calling early in the morning, all the way until the afternoon. Disney is hiring, only 7.35-7.70 hr. Its a straight shot on the Bus from those motels on 1-92. When he does get employment, the safest/cheapest apartment complex (because its astronomically expensive to rent a house in Kissimmee) is Cobblestone. There reviews online are not that great, but its mostly jaded renters. Its 599.00 for a 2/2 right now, including water.

Here are some things that I can tell you about:

The stimulus set aside funding for homeless families, I am going to PM you the coordinator for Osceola counties number.
The program is run through DCF and its called:
Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing (Stimulus) Program
This program will help with deposits on apartment or lights, but no one is going to rent to them without a job.

First Baptist Church of Kissimmee has a food pantry, daily meals, clothes closet, medical clinic and they also have the Osceola Pregnancy Center, which will help them get baby stuff.
(and for all others reading they are in need of donations, per their website)

Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Duttygal, thank you very much for the information. We passed it along to our nephew. I was glad to hear about the First Baptist Church providing services for needy families.

I looked at the Cobblestone apartments on the internet and they looked pretty good, especially for their very reasonable price.

I have been contacting places to see what social services are available and I can see how it can be very frustrating. Some of the places have not been very helpful, but I did find a couple people who said they would help my nephew find help for his family and apply for jobs.

I also read the other message you sent to me with the web site links and the phone numbers. If you have any other ideas, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando