U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 PM

200 posts, read 447,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Deputies used K-9 units and tracked down the suspect round 7:30 Tuesday night after a nearly hour-long search. The man was taken into custody at Villanova at Hunter's Creek, a nearby residential area.
Looks like they got him. Good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,635,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
off topic. seems like you try your hardest to find ways to make the AP area look bad.
Good freakin grief. My point is it happens in nice areas and nice stores like Publix - whether it be Hunters Creek or Avalon Park. That's my point.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:33 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,474,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Good freakin grief. My point is it happens in nice areas and nice stores like Publix - whether it be Hunters Creek or Avalon Park. That's my point.
Everybody knows that robberies can happen anywhere. It wasn't necessary to bring up Avalon Park specifically. The OP was just informing us about this incident because he works there and it was shocking to him.

Sorry that it seems like I always want to start conflict with you, I just don't like how it seems like your always trying to make this area look bad every chance you get.

Anyways, sorry to bother you, I was just pointing that out.

Glad to hear that they authorities caught the suspect

Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,483,359 times
Orlando, home of the uber-sensitive types. Confused between thinking O-Town is a "major city" and "that can't happen here" kinda folks. Hence the typecast of a identity-crisis city. It seems when people point out the truth, you either get labeled as "racist", or "troll", my favorite. Usually from people who have no real life experiences, live off an inheritance, or are stuck in a comfortable office job who think they are immune and like to watch from the sidelines and judge others. Gotta love Orlandoh, such a beautiful place filled with dimwits. Speaks volumes about our educational system.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Most people know Orlando is the mother city in a major metropolitan area, and know it has big city crime, no one is denying that.. And the educational system is fine. The actual schools have little to do with the performance of the students. Its the parents. The schools can't be that bad here if most of my friends, including me, are going to 4 year universities next year, most to UCF (like me, unless I decide to enlist in the navy), and others who have already been accepted to universities like FSU, NYU, LSU, UCLA, etc.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Most people know Orlando is the mother city in a major metropolitan area, and know it has big city crime, no one is denying that.. And the educational system is fine. The actual schools have little to do with the performance of the students. Its the parents. The schools can't be that bad here if most of my friends, including me, are going to 4 year universities next year, most to UCF (like me, unless I decide to enlist in the navy), and others who have already been accepted to universities like FSU, NYU, LSU, UCLA, etc.
That's funny considering FL has one of the WORST graduation rates in the entire country. Blame it on whatever, but facts are facts. Bad education equals bad discipline. And then they wonder why FL has some of the worst paying jobs and highest foreclosures. Most business owners realize that FL will always be a state to pillage.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Actually FL has been ranking higher and higher every year for public education. I think its in the top 15 now. My schools graduation rate is well over 90% and it has over 3,000 students. Many Orlando area HS including mine make the newsweek list of top high schools in the country every year.

Also FL was ranked in the top 5 states to start a business in.

Maybe the wages are lower here because it is cheaper to live in FL compared to up north and out west. I don't know what my friends families and my neighbors exact wages are. But my area is filled with people who seem pretty well off. good sized homes, nice stuff, good cars, etc. The same kind of wealth i see when I'm in Long Island every summer..

I hear about all this bad stuff about how FLs economy sucks and the wages are so low, but i personally don't see that where I live. I don't even see much foreclosed homes where i live, I looked on zillow and only 4 homes in my neighborhood of well over 300 homes are for sale, and only one of them is a short sale.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM

I agree that the education quality has increased, most in part to many people fleeing the area. Those people who are well off have old money and will probably succeed no matter what the economic outlook. However, Florida has a business-killer tax and one of the many reasons you don't see much culture around here.

The unemployment tax for business owners increased 1000%.

Florida business owners in for a bad surprise - Jacksonville Business Journal:

Just one of the many screwy tables and rates that they need to adjust to.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/...18/story1.html

Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I agree that the education quality has increased, most in part to many people fleeing the area. Those people who are well off have old money and will probably succeed no matter what the economic outlook. However, Florida has a business-killer tax and one of the many reasons you don't see much culture around here.

The unemployment tax for business owners increased 1000%.

Just one of the many screwy tables and rates that they need to adjust to.

I agree about the old money but that is mainly in Winter Park and Windemere. Over where I live, most people I know are making there money from there current jobs. they aren't inheriting it. There are a lot of small business owners here, lockeed martin engineers, medical professionals, some corporate downtown workers, people who work in research park, college professors, teachers, people in the technology industry, and of course people who are high up in the attractions and tourism industry.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,635,368 times
Quote:
Everybody knows that robberies can happen anywhere. It wasn't necessary to bring up Avalon Park specifically. The OP was just informing us about this incident because he works there and it was shocking to him.

Sorry that it seems like I always want to start conflict with you, I just don't like how it seems like your always trying to make this area look bad every chance you get.

Anyways, sorry to bother you, I was just pointing that out.

Glad to hear that they authorities caught the suspect
I overreacted. Apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando