U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,187 posts, read 9,474,990 times
Reputation: 1534

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I'm not hellbent on making Orlando bad, but when you put it into perspective it has ALOT of work. There's definitely many places worse than here, it's just that most people here don't have much experience living in larger cities and then they put Orlando on a pedestal thinking it's the best place ever. Furthermore, most people I've met here have never worked in a major corporation unless they were bottom on the ladder. Most people here that show they're resumes to large, well-known companies in big cities will get laughed at. I've worked with 19 year-olds that will blow most people out of the water career-wise.

There's a reason why Randy Jackson calls Orlando strange. Randy Jackson on 'Idol' auditions: 'Orlando was really strange' - USATODAY.com
Now its obvious your just throwing out annything you can find to make the city look bad.. The american idol auditions did not reflect the city. They took place at a hotel in the middle of the woods near disney, and half the people who auditioned where from out of town. And randy was talking about the talent of the auditioners not the city.

Orlando isn't a terrible city. Get over it. Its a great place to live for those of us living in the right areas. You must of picked a bad area to live in, or maybe you just don't like it here in general, which is ok because its your personal preference. But many of us live in good areas and enjoy living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2010, 12:05 AM
 
1,377 posts, read 3,483,359 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Now its obvious your just throwing out annything you can find to make the city look bad.. The american idol auditions did not reflect the city. They took place at a hotel in the middle of the woods near disney, and half the people who auditioned where from out of town. And randy was talking about the talent of the auditioners not the city.

Orlando isn't a terrible city. Get over it. Its a great place to live for those of us living in the right areas. You must of picked a bad area to live in, or maybe you just don't like it here in general, which is ok because its your personal preference. But many of us live in good areas and enjoy living here.

You guys are gonna love this tidbit. I actually like where I live, but I'm not oblivious like most people are here.

So, let's see, Jackson calls Orlando strange, the bowl games were a disaster with all the mud, we have a lucky lotto winner that was murdered by a "friend", and the world's greatest golfer who's life is a disaster, and Casey. Seems like a lot of positive press for Otown lately huh?

State ranks 3rd in missing persons - Orlando Sentinel

And can't forget Orlando's the worst for pedestrian deaths in the WHOLE COUNTRY.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-orange-county

So, um Davie, would you like more links or am I a "troll" with FACTS.

Thread closed.

Last edited by **NoodLes**; 02-05-2010 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
5,712 posts, read 11,239,569 times
Reputation: 3766
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
You guys are gonna love this tidbit. I actually like where I live, but I'm not oblivious like most people are here.

So, let's see, Jackson calls Orlando strange, the bowl games were a disaster with all the mud, we have a lucky lotto winner that was murdered by a "friend", and the world's greatest golfer who's life is a disaster, and Casey. Seems like a lot of positive press for Otown lately huh?

State ranks 3rd in missing persons - Orlando Sentinel

And can't forget Orlando's the worst for pedestrian deaths in the WHOLE COUNTRY.

Pedestrians beware - Orlando Sentinel

So, um Davie, would you like more links or am I a "troll" with FACTS.

Thread closed.
Ok Mr. Moderator, thread is closed.

You have posted facts but you are still a troll because you only spew hatred on here. I have to agree with GLS2010 here. Some of us love living here but you dont because it is not your personal preference

I dont know how long you have lived here but I'm sure there is at least 1 thing that you like about this town and $50 bucks says you have plenty of good memories here.

After you live in a place for a number of years you're bound to have good times at least once in awhile right? As much as I hated living in Connecticut I had some good times there and it wasnt ALL bad the way you make Orlando seem

I'm done with you, your posts make me wanna puke regardless of whether you have facts to back them up or not. I oughta introduce you to my dad so you two can do lunch sometime. You both seem to hate Orlando with a passion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,965 posts, read 4,635,368 times
Reputation: 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Oh and bTW Noodles, Orlando is on the bottom of the list for people to move to?
Not according to a Pew Research Survey

Orlando is a dream city for many people - Orlando Sentinel


To be fair, Miami was also near the top. I think a lot of it has to do with perception vs reality. People think places that are warm are the place to be - but it's clearly not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,965 posts, read 4,635,368 times
Reputation: 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Ok Mr. Moderator, thread is closed.

You have posted facts but you are still a troll because you only spew hatred on here. I have to agree with GLS2010 here. Some of us love living here but you dont because it is not your personal preference

I dont know how long you have lived here but I'm sure there is at least 1 thing that you like about this town and $50 bucks says you have plenty of good memories here.

After you live in a place for a number of years you're bound to have good times at least once in awhile right? As much as I hated living in Connecticut I had some good times there and it wasnt ALL bad the way you make Orlando seem

I'm done with you, your posts make me wanna puke regardless of whether you have facts to back them up or not. I oughta introduce you to my dad so you two can do lunch sometime. You both seem to hate Orlando with a passion
Daviej89, knowing that I'm a native, I'm sure you are aware of my disappointment in how FL has changed. Orlando does have some good qualities and I've never said it doesnt, but you have to agree that Orlando has a lot of bad press too. I mean, the pedestrian deaths, the missing children, the heinous crimes, one of the worst places to raise a family (Children's health Magazine), etc... Whether you believe it or not, the articles are out there and it does make you wonder. Do I feel unsafe where I live? No. Do things happen in my area that probably dont happen in similar neighborhoods throughout the southeast? Probably not to the same extent. In Orlando, and other parts of FL, there is definitely this transient feel to it where many folks dont know ther neighbors, people come and go, it's just unstable.

My point is, sure, you cant believe everything you read, but when things like "worst place to raise children" or "worst city for pedestrians" or "road rage capitol" etc... either Orlando or Miami is usually at the top (worst). Maybe they are biased or something, I dunno. But it has to make you wonder. Instead of being on the defensive so much and denying articles and sources, doesnt it make sense to wonder why cities like Orlando come up so much? Maybe there is some truth to it. Where's Charlotte, where's Raleigh NC, where's Seattle, where's Austin? Why is Orlando's name coming up so much negatively? I'm not saying I believe it all either, but why is Orlando always coming up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,187 posts, read 9,474,990 times
Reputation: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Daviej89, knowing that I'm a native, I'm sure you are aware of my disappointment in how FL has changed. Orlando does have some good qualities and I've never said it doesnt, but you have to agree that Orlando has a lot of bad press too. I mean, the pedestrian deaths, the missing children, the heinous crimes, one of the worst places to raise a family (Children's health Magazine), etc... Whether you believe it or not, the articles are out there and it does make you wonder. Do I feel unsafe where I live? No. Do things happen in my area that probably dont happen in similar neighborhoods throughout the southeast? Probably not to the same extent. In Orlando, and other parts of FL, there is definitely this transient feel to it where many folks dont know ther neighbors, people come and go, it's just unstable.

My point is, sure, you cant believe everything you read, but when things like "worst place to raise children" or "worst city for pedestrians" or "road rage capitol" etc... either Orlando or Miami is usually at the top (worst). Maybe they are biased or something, I dunno. But it has to make you wonder. Instead of being on the defensive so much and denying articles and sources, doesnt it make sense to wonder why cities like Orlando come up so much? Maybe there is some truth to it. Where's Charlotte, where's Raleigh NC, where's Seattle, where's Austin? Why is Orlando's name coming up so much negatively? I'm not saying I believe it all either, but why is Orlando always coming up?

some of the stuff is true. Like the pedestrian thing. This city was built for cars, I would never live here without a car. Even if I lived in downtown i would still need a car to get to other places. There are many "pedestrian friendly" areas of Orlando like downtown areas, and new urbanist neighborhoods (which started in FL btw) like Baldwin park, celebration and avalon park. But for the most part, this city is not pedestrian friendly. It doesn't bother me because I like being spread out, and having my own car to drive everywhere.

And Yes there are a lot of not so great areas to raise kids in, but those magazines make there rankings with the mind set of an over protective mom. If you raise a kid in a perfect environment where nothing ever goes wrong, and everyone is nice as can be, that kid is going grow up and be a wussy. Orlando may not be 100% filled with great areas to raise kids but there are a lot of great areas with a sense of community and good schools to raise kids in. Its not right for these magazines to make generalized assumptions of the whole city.

Com, do you have kids? maybe you feel it is very transient because you haven't met many people. Our area is very family oriented and many folks meet through there kids schools and activities, and that creates the sense of community. I still go to school with kids that were in my kindergarten class, I've known most of my friends for years and years.. When ever i go out to places in the community, like waterford lakes town center, I almost always run into people I know, even old friends who i haven't seen in years. I don't feel like the area is that transient.

The number of missing children in Orlando isn't high compared to the average american city so i don't know where you got that.

the point is, every city has its pros and cons. To me the pros out weigh the cons and I enjoy living here, and I wouldn't of picked any other place to be raised in. I wasn't alive back in "old Florida" times so i can really care less about how it was back then. I like it now and so do a lot of other people.

Last edited by GLS2010; 02-05-2010 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,965 posts, read 4,635,368 times
Reputation: 3313
[quote=GLS2010;12768666]some of the stuff is true. Like the pedestrian thing. This city was built for cars, I would never live here without a car. Even if I lived in downtown i would still need a car to get to other places. There are many "pedestrian friendly" areas of Orlando like downtown areas, and new urbanist neighborhoods (which started in FL btw) like Baldwin park, celebration and avalon park. But for the most part, this city is not pedestrian friendly. It doesn't bother me because I like being spread out, and having my own car to drive everywhere. We agree.

And Yes there are a lot of not so great areas to raise kids in, but those magazines make there rankings with the mind set of an over protective mom. If you raise a kid in a perfect environment where nothing ever goes wrong, and everyone is nice as can be, that kid is going grow up and be a wussy. I dont believe that to be true at all. Some of the guys I grew up with in NC are tough as nails. Orlando may not be 100% filled with great areas to raise kids but there are a lot of great areas with a sense of community and good schools to raise kids in. I agree that there are some. Its not right for these magazines to make generalized assumptions of the whole city. But again, why does Orlando keep popping up?

Com, do you have kids? Yes, one. maybe you feel it is very transient because you haven't met many people. I have met many people - our neighborhood has 200 homes in it, if not more. Many of the folks I have met are already gone. Our area is very family oriented and many folks meet through there kids schools and activities, and that creates the sense of community. I still go to school with kids that were in my kindergarten class, I've known most of my friends for years and years.. When ever i go out to places in the community, like waterford lakes town center, I almost always run into people I know, even old friends who i haven't seen in years. That's cool. glad you find that to be the case. I don't feel like the area is that transient. I disagree. FL in general is very transient.

The number of missing children in Orlando isn't high compared to the average american city so i don't know where you got that. I got that from the link provided. Many high profile cases on the news have been from the Central FL area, sadly.

the point is, every city has its pros and cons. To me the pros out weigh the cons and I enjoy living here, and I wouldn't of picked any other place to be raised in. I wasn't alive back in "old Florida" times so i can really care less about how it was back then. I like it now and so do a lot of other people. I'm glad you enjoy it for what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
 
2,414 posts, read 4,456,935 times
Reputation: 634
This type of thread is exactly why I rarely post here anymore. People who've dedicated their lives to bashing Oralndo or some other part of Florida, for reasons I can't understand. This forum seems to cater to a minority who hate living in this state. But by my calculations, only 3% of the people I meet on a daily basis don't like it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,187 posts, read 9,474,990 times
Reputation: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
This type of thread is exactly why I rarely post here anymore. People who've dedicated their lives to bashing Oralndo or some other part of Florida, for reasons I can't understand. This forum seems to cater to a minority who hate living in this state. But by my calculations, only 3% of the people I meet on a daily basis don't like it here.
I couldn't agree more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 03:14 PM
 
8 posts, read 12,703 times
Reputation: 15
wow I came on here to see what was going on at Hunters Creek and now I am thinking moving back to Orlando would be a big mistake! What a bunch of freaks getting all bent out of shape because someone said there was a place robbed in Avalon park too! WOW

We left Orlando in 2006 and miss our families, but for the life of me I can't come up with one positive thing about Orlando that makes me want to move back! You all need to grow up and stretch your wings, you'll be shocked to find out that Orlando isn't all that after all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top