U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 AM

3 posts, read 30,421 times

Advertisements

I' m looking to buy and invest for a family house in Orlando.It's a long time I didn't came back to Orlando since 1990.
I'm looking for a good area to live for a family.
Here my criteria:

safe area,not noisy.
near all commodities....shops,restaurants,center
I will probably rent it for a while,so an easy area for rent
Not an expensive area,but a good one for middle class.

Thanks to all of you to give me some suggestions area and why it's good.
If you have some good links please posted!!

Cheers from Switzerland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 10,203 times
east side of Orlando near UCF. email me if you have more concern timwfm@gmail.com. Tim

Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 AM

10,875 posts, read 23,713,242 times
There are plenty of good areas. When you come here, will you be working? It is better to live close to work b/c of commuting purposes. Could you give us a little more info on what you're looking for? Size house, size of lot, cost, HOA's or not, etc.?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:34 PM

793 posts, read 2,047,681 times
Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Wekiva Springs, Lake Nona

Hope this helps,

Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Firstable,it will be a house for hollidays.So I don't care about best schools,I just want to enjoy the safe area(important).What it's a best value area ?
Someone can tell me rafely how much charges you will pay per month when you don't use the house? I know there is HOA and taxes,but what else you need to pay when you are not there ?

Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,549,380 times
Well, we don't have too much criteria to narrow things down. There are alot of great area's in the Orlando Metropolitan with proximity to all the amenities you could want. But assuming the property will be vacant much of the year when you are not using it, I would recommend being in a guard gated community preferably with patrols that can help keep an eye on your home (in case of fire, damage, etc).

These will depend entirely on your price range as there are many communities in the far upper ranges as well. Suggestions would include:

Heathrow in Lake Mary
Village Walk in Lake Nona
StoneyBrook West and East in Winter Garden and Orlando
Keenes Point in Windermere

As far as what expenses you'll have during the months you are not living in the home. Yes, HOA payments, property taxes, insurance, mortgage if you needed one, and you would likely have to keep some utilities on. Electric should never be turned off as you really need to keep the air conditioning running (on a much higher temp when not there of course) to keep the humitidy levels low in the home and keep mold from growing. Water/Sewer you may as well leave on as well due to connect and disconnect charges, keeping your lawn watered, and the minimal payments you would have if no one is using water.

You mentioned at first though you would be looking to rent the property? If so it would likely be best to rent the home yearly so you are not stuck buying only in a short-term rental zoned area. A gated community doesn't matter to much, but the best area's for value and rentability in my opinion are Windermere and East Orlando (32828 and 32825 zip codes).

Old 02-05-2010, 01:47 PM

196 posts, read 680,601 times
great to hear that you have fond memories of Orlando and that you are looking to visit again.
A lot has changed in the last 20yrs. Just to take a step back, in general Orlando has 2 types of communities:

1)Homes you can rent long term (I believe over 8 months ) this is where most locals live

and

2) Resort communities where you can rent for days. These communities can be gated and have pools and play areas and are rented by many vacationers but could also be rented long term.

they are in different areas, you need to decide what is best for you. Once you do, there are different grades and price points for each.

Costs:
Tax,
HOA
Insurance
lawn care
pool care
power
water
phone
pest control

some are fixed some are variable.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanks all of you !!!! I want to buy a home for 2 reasons.I have some money to invest and I like this place.So I want to do some research in real estate,so I need to know wich area I should consider for my research.Well for me it's important to be sure I can rent this house very easy and get a good profit with that.In long term I will enjoy to come back for hollidays.I want to invest around 100000$ for a home .If you have suggestions, please post.

What I don't catch is still in a small area like Windemere there are good and bad places ???
for my part it's not easy to consider that maybe because in Switzerland crime = 0% and bad place is 1 % . So thanks to be precise if I need to consider only some parts in the area.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:40 PM

99 posts, read 269,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cup View Post
Thanks all of you !!!! I want to buy a home for 2 reasons.I have some money to invest and I like this place.So I want to do some research in real estate,so I need to know wich area I should consider for my research.Well for me it's important to be sure I can rent this house very easy and get a good profit with that.In long term I will enjoy to come back for hollidays.I want to invest around 100000$ for a home .If you have suggestions, please post.

What I don't catch is still in a small area like Windemere there are good and bad places ???
for my part it's not easy to consider that maybe because in Switzerland crime = 0% and bad place is 1 % . So thanks to be precise if I need to consider only some parts in the area.
If you're looking to invest $100,000 in Florida real estate, please reconsider. Our prices are still plummeting here, and you'll see much better gains using more traditional investment vehicles.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 PM

59 posts, read 212,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phirenzic View Post
If you're looking to invest $100,000 in Florida real estate, please reconsider. Our prices are still plummeting here, and you'll see much better gains using more traditional investment vehicles.

I wouldn't say home prices are still plummeting, looks like they've bottomed out. But I will say that as cheap as homes are here, 100K won't buy you much, especially in the areas the realtors are recommending, you won't be able to buy any place nice for 100K, you'll need closer to 200K.

Good luck and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando