U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 9,224 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Orlando from Melbourne. I have a place in mind. Its not the best but will be ok for now.

There is a lot of crime and drugs in the Orlando area. The best way to handle the problems would be have a active neightborhood watch program. People need to patrol there own communitiies.

I am intersted in looking for people who want to be in a neghiborhood watch.
If this is something you would like to be a part of Send me a PM. Help me help the communitie.

Thanks
James
Citizens On Patrol inc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 AM

26,582 posts, read 49,815,701 times
You don't need to be part of any special group to help your neighborhood. Just be a good neighbor, and report anything suspicious to the police.

Neighborhood Watch is jsut that--WATCH. Not roam, not patrol.

The last thing I want is some group of "vigilantes on patrol" roaming my neighborhood.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 AM

That makes me a vigilante? I care about people and my community. Its unfortunate that you feel that way. A lot of people don't feel safe where they live. Just read some of the posts. Neighborhood watch programs are a effective way to prevent crime.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 AM

WATCHING is very effective. But you don't need to roam around "on patrol" to watch.

Roaming or "patrolling" a neighborhood is nothing more than vigilanteism.

One of the reasons my neighborhood is safe is because we do all "watch" and call police when something suspicious is spotted.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 AM

I am glad your neighborhood.is safe.What about the other areas in Orlando that aren't?

A lot of communities have security guards. Are they vigilantes too? You can get the same results by having a active neighborhood watch without having to pay some Security company $1000. a week. People need to take interest in the own neighborhoods.

I am glad we agree that watching is a very effective

Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 PM

The differenec is that LICENSED security guards have training and in most cases common sense to know the law and how to not break it. Far too often these "neighborhood watch patrols" end up being tragedies in the making. Hyped up idiots on power trips roaming neighborhoods and putting their nose into business that isn't theirs and far too often taking the law into their own hands. Yeah, that makes a neighborhood safe. Not.

The best crime deterrent has been those of us who glance out the windows now and then, know our neighbors and their regular guests, and call the police to report suspicious behaviour or strangers in the neighborhood that don't seem to have a valid reason to be there. You don't need to roam the streets to do that.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Security officers have lots of training?. A 24 hour class and most students complain that all they did in class was watch videos. Average security officer makes $8 to $9 an hour. There training is a joke.

People have the right to protect their communities. Not sure why your so negative about neighborhood watch programs. Concerned private citizens can and have benefited the communities I am not talking about detaining, harassing, questioning, Just simple observe and report. then call 911 if needed.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Like I said, you don't need to roam or patrol to observe and report. It's common sense that anyone can do by glancing out their window. I'm not opposed to neighborhood watch. WATCH being the key word, not patrol like some mall rent-a-cop.

I'm glad we don't have loose cannon "street patrol" people roaming my community. People like that are on a power trip already, the last thing we need is for them to think they've been given more power.

Frankly I think it looks trashy for people to "patrol" a neighborhood. It doesn't bring the values up, it brings them down. Most people think of "neighborhood patrols" as nosey busy bodies on power trips and don't want to live in a neighborhood with that type of nonesense. It makes bad HOA's seem like a dream come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando