U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 AM
 
131 posts, read 341,322 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

I'm just wondering what an average wage would be in the Orlando FL area, compared to northern MA (where we currently live).
My husband is a sous chef that works for a national corporation (Aramark, Sodexo, Eurest) and works in colleges/corporate cafeterias making 35k /yr(17/hr). He has a culinary degree, but would prefer not to work in a restaurant. What do you think he would make in Orlando?
Also, I provide daycare out of my home. Here, the full time rate is about 200/week. What could I expect to make there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2010, 11:52 AM
 
1,377 posts, read 3,503,628 times
Reputation: 974
$11-$12/hr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
5,712 posts, read 11,339,851 times
Reputation: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
I'm just wondering what an average wage would be in the Orlando FL area, compared to northern MA (where we currently live).
My husband is a sous chef that works for a national corporation (Aramark, Sodexo, Eurest) and works in colleges/corporate cafeterias making 35k /yr(17/hr). He has a culinary degree, but would prefer not to work in a restaurant. What do you think he would make in Orlando?
Also, I provide daycare out of my home. Here, the full time rate is about 200/week. What could I expect to make there? Thanks!
Jobs here usually pay a little bit less because the cost of living is significantly lower then it is in Massachusetts (I am from Northwestern CT btw)

The median income in Orange County is $50k a year if I am not mistaken

http://www.city-data.com/county/Orange_County-FL.html

Aramark has a place on Michigan Avenue south of Downtown Orlando between South Orange Blossom Trail and Orange Avenue. Perhaps he can take his job with him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
 
541 posts, read 1,715,194 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Jobs here usually pay a little bit less because the cost of living is significantly lower then it is in Massachusetts (I am from Northwestern CT btw)
We moved from MA 5 1/2 years ago and our cost of living went WAY up. We paid $740/month in rent on the train line into Boston- here went to $960/month (same size place.) Our electric doubled, our groceries doubled, car registration went way up, etc. We also took a 30k a year pay cut. Not cheaper for us! My parents taxes went from $3,000/year in NYC (Queens) to $7,000+ in Florida. Smaller house! Yes, housing is cheaper but you have to be SO careful here now. You need to research every area. So many foreclosures changing even nice neighborhoods here in FL. Also, many homes were thrown up and built like crap. Here in Celebration (nice area near Disney) we are now fining out our water pressure is so high it is bursting people's pipes. It may have been this way for years and put stresses on the pipes in homes. Who builds these crap places!? Low income people with NO training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
 
26,582 posts, read 50,126,546 times
Reputation: 12896
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
$11-$12/hr
That might even be on the high side at some places.

Child care seems to be about $125 a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Florida
335 posts, read 1,036,372 times
Reputation: 302
Given the present and near future of the economy and job/wage situation in Florida stay where you are at !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Celebration wannabe...
1,000 posts, read 2,689,673 times
Reputation: 402
Unless of course you can get a comparable salary, etc. in Florida...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 05:03 PM
 
Location: FL
24 posts, read 59,268 times
Reputation: 21
Default 20 years FL resident

I consider Orlando my "native" town, since 20 years ago we came with no money, no papers, a family of 4..., and we love it, but today's Orlando is not the same..., yes, the WAGES are the same, $7-$10-$14 for different non or more skilfull jobs, but FOOD is more expensive than in LA or NY (I speak and exchange opinions on a dayli basis with friends; milk is $2.99 in San Diego, CA, in Orlando for this price (and not always) you can buy it only in Walgreen's), HOUSING is raising, as luvthatmouse said, TAXES, mama mia, I pay more money for the same Sq. Ft. that my friend for a house in BelAir, CA!!!! ELECTRICITY (you use it everyday because of the A/C) is on of the most expensive in US, WATER - the same..., sorry, after 20 years, I think I am ready to leave my "native" town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 05:14 PM
 
2,564 posts, read 4,705,812 times
Reputation: 824
vkovac,
I turn my A/C off when I'm at work - what are you leaving it on for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 PM
 
7,065 posts, read 8,706,803 times
Reputation: 3439
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkovac View Post
I consider Orlando my "native" town, since 20 years ago we came with no money, no papers, a family of 4..., and we love it, but today's Orlando is not the same..., yes, the WAGES are the same, $7-$10-$14 for different non or more skilfull jobs, but FOOD is more expensive than in LA or NY (I speak and exchange opinions on a dayli basis with friends; milk is $2.99 in San Diego, CA, in Orlando for this price (and not always) you can buy it only in Walgreen's), HOUSING is raising, as luvthatmouse said, TAXES, mama mia, I pay more money for the same Sq. Ft. that my friend for a house in BelAir, CA!!!! ELECTRICITY (you use it everyday because of the A/C) is on of the most expensive in US, WATER - the same..., sorry, after 20 years, I think I am ready to leave my "native" town...
are you really trying to compare the COL between FL and CA? CA property taxes are much higher secondary to the higher property values than in FL. CA also has a higher sales tax, higher gas taxes, and one of the highest income taxes in the country (FL has NONE). FL is 25th on the COL list. CA is near the bottom at 48th with such high-cost places like NY, NJ and DC.

People are leaving CA in droves these days. In case you hadn't heard, the state is pretty much bankrupt to the point where they had to pay IOUs instead of tax refunds last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top