U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,471,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
The only reason I kept Clermont off my list is because I'm not sure it would meet the 30 minute requirement. It's probably closer to 45 minutes practically speaking, unless you take the toll roads and there are not congested.
I timed the drive from the clermont exit on the turnpike to downtown Orlando via the 408 last weekend when i was in that area because of the things I see on this forum. Here are the results:

Sunday 2:48 pm I passed the Clermont entrance to the turnpike
Sunday 2:54 pm I arrived at the 408 exit off the turnpike
Sunday 3:03 pm I passed Downtown Orlando on the 408

And the roads weren't empty..

Turnpike conditions:

408 Conditions:

Last edited by GLS2010; 02-09-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,042,713 times
I used to commute from Apopka to DT during rush hour from the 429 to Turnpike to 408. That used to take me 35 minutes on average. I just figured that's the same route you would take from Clermont so the time would be about the same. By the way, nice pics again, you seem to have a knack for taking driving pics. Mine always end up with the rear view mirror or windshield in the pic.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM

26,582 posts, read 49,682,414 times
Unles you live on the very eastern most edge of the area considered "Clermont" (which is actually unincorporated Lake County) it can take 20 minutes to get to the Turnpike in rush hour.

From the intersection of 27 and 50, plan on minimum 5-8 minutes with no traffic, and up to 25 at the height of rush hour to exit 272.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I used to commute from Apopka to DT during rush hour from the 429 to Turnpike to 408. That used to take me 35 minutes on average. I just figured that's the same route you would take from Clermont so the time would be about the same. By the way, nice pics again, you seem to have a knack for taking driving pics. Mine always end up with the rear view mirror or windshield in the pic.
Thanks I took a lot this passed weekend. Now I'm just looking for good opportunities to post them. I posted some of the 408 facing downtown from the east on the Orlando picture thread today.

Anyways, Even though I've been in Clermont multiple times, I didn't realize how far east the actual city center of Clermont is from the Turnpike entrance. It can take a while for you to get to the turnpike from some parts of Clermont. But the areas near the turnpike are still nice and have a much shorter commute to downtown Orlando than other parts of Clermont.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Thanks I took a lot this passed weekend. Now I'm just looking for good opportunities to post them. I posted some of the 408 facing downtown from the east on the Orlando picture thread today.

Anyways, Even though I've been in Clermont multiple times, I didn't realize how far east the actual city center of Clermont is from the Turnpike entrance. It can take a while for you to get to the turnpike from some parts of Clermont. But the areas near the turnpike are still nice and have a much shorter commute to downtown Orlando than other parts of Clermont.
Actually the turnpike entrance isn't even in Lake County, it's in Oakland, which is Orange County and IMHO not a particularly nice area. The next town to the east is Winter Garden, and over all Winter Garden along 50 is far from desirable. I also wouldn't choose most of the areas edging exit 272 (even the ones in unincorporated Lake County with a Clermont mailing address) overall they aren't all that desirable. You really need to get down 50 into or very near the City limits to find the nicer communities in Clermont or into the Southwest corner of Winter Garden at Stoneybrook. Deer Island is an exception, although I wouldn't buy a $500K house that literally backs to the turnpike.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM

111 posts, read 281,333 times
Clermont, Clermont, Clermont, Minneola, Minneola!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually the turnpike entrance isn't even in Lake County, it's in Oakland, which is Orange County and IMHO not a particularly nice area. The next town to the east is Winter Garden, and over all Winter Garden along 50 is far from desirable. I also wouldn't choose most of the areas edging exit 272 (even the ones in unincorporated Lake County with a Clermont mailing address) overall they aren't all that desirable. You really need to get down 50 into or very near the City limits to find the nicer communities in Clermont or into the Southwest corner of Winter Garden at Stoneybrook. Deer Island is an exception, although I wouldn't buy a $500K house that literally backs to the turnpike.
Im talking south and east of the turnpike entrance. The further west you go on 50 the worse it gets, oakland is north west of the turnpike off 50.. I'm talking about Deer Island, and the communities off remington road which are very nice, even though they aren't in Lake county they are part of the clermont area and they are literally right next to the turnpike entrance.

Btw just because Oakland has some smaller older homes doesn't mean the community isn't a nice community, there are some new bigger homes developments in Oakland too. Its peaceful small town like community.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Im talking south and east of the turnpike entrance. The further west you go on 50 the worse it gets, oakland is north west of the turnpike off 50.. I'm talking about Deer Island, and the communities off remington road which are very nice, even though they aren't in Lake county they are part of the clermont area and they are literally right next to the turnpike entrance.

Btw just because Oakland has some smaller older homes doesn't mean the community isn't a nice community, there are some new bigger homes developments in Oakland too. Its peaceful small town like community.

Deer Island is WEST of the Turnpike entrance. Frankly I wouldn't want to live in John's Lake Landing (Off Remington) because I would never want to be that close to the Turnpike.

Actually the further west you go on 50, the better it gets until after you pass through the trailhead area of downtown Clermont.

Your opinion on Oakland, I do not consider it to be overall desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando