U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:30 PM

307 posts, read 1,908,343 times

Advertisements

Deland is a wonderful area, very quaint and quiet living. I used to live there years ago. It has grown quite a bit with new neighborhoods scattered here and there, but it hasn't lost it's charm. It's also easy to jump over to Orange City for shopping, or over to I-4 too. It has remained a lot of the same, kind of like New Smyrna has remained the same over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 AM

38 posts, read 123,328 times
We are also thinking of Deland... Does anyone know anything about Victoria Park or Victoria Gardens?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:30 AM

570 posts, read 907,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Deland is very nice! If I was going to relocate anywhere in Central Fl. it would be high if not tops on my list! It has charm and a lot to offer. It is one of the few places left with that small town feel. It has the beautiful Stetson Law School, Blue Springs etc!
Oh, almost forgot. . if your planning on buying a home make sure it is not in an area that floods. In previous years they had major problems with this. Some say it has been addressed but just keep in mind.
Stetson law is in st. pete first of all.

Second, unless ur a stetson student or volusia county worker, I wouldnt recommend Deland. Theres nothing to do, is 25 mins to the beach, and it's got a run down feeling to it that creeps you out esp at nighttime.

If you're moving near Daytona, I'd recommend Port Orange.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 PM

8,217 posts, read 10,362,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Deland is very nice! If I was going to relocate anywhere in Central Fl. it would be high if not tops on my list! It has charm and a lot to offer. It is one of the few places left with that small town feel. It has the beautiful Stetson Law School, Blue Springs etc!

Oh, almost forgot. . if your planning on buying a home make sure it is not in an area that floods. In previous years they had major problems with this. Some say it has been addressed but just keep in mind.
Actually it is Stetson, not the Law school... That is located in the Tampa area. But the area is very nice and has the charm of a small college town.
conviently between Orlando and DAytona.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:42 AM

66 posts, read 178,863 times
Deland and Deltona may possibly have the highest incident rate of people on Adult Friend Finder.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:58 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,092,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post

Second, unless ur a stetson student or volusia county worker, I wouldnt recommend Deland. Theres nothing to do, is 25 mins to the beach, and it's got a run down feeling to it that creeps you out esp at nighttime.

Stetson is based in DeLand, and has been since 1883. The Law School happens to be a small branch in St. Pete.

DeLand is not at all as you attempt to continually portray it. It is one of THE nicest small towns in Florida. This run down feeling you insist on is nothing more than a uninformed opinion, and hardly based in reality. DeLand happens to have a very charming and lively little downtown, something Port Orange has never known.

It can also take up to 25 minutes from the heart of Port Orange to the beach, with all of the traffic that can occur. Why do you continue to distort the truth about DeLand?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 PM

66 posts, read 178,863 times
Quote:

I would have to agree, been to both Deland and Deltona on a number of occasions and both have a run-down ambience to them. However this could be in part to the density of Cypress trees in the area, it is illegal to cut them down and so they exist everywhere and it can make a brand new developement feel like a swamp.

The whole region is especially creepy at night, creeps me out to drive on the interstate in that area after dark.

And of course the I-4 Deadzone... rumor or not I pay particular attention around the St. Johns Bridge.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhernandez48 View Post
I would have to agree, been to both Deland and Deltona on a number of occasions and both have a run-down ambience to them. However this could be in part to the density of Cypress trees in the area, it is illegal to cut them down and so they exist everywhere and it can make a brand new developement feel like a swamp.

The whole region is especially creepy at night, creeps me out to drive on the interstate in that area after dark.

And of course the I-4 Deadzone... rumor or not I pay particular attention around the St. Johns Bridge.
And this has what to do with the City of DeLand, and surrounding areas?

DeLand and Deltona may as well be on different planets.

Some of you are providing nothing but completely wacked-out opinions of a great place to people seeking accurate information.

If you really don't know what you are talking about, please keep your opinions to yourself. Driving by on I-4 is hardly going to give you a true picture of how nice West Volusia County is.

Is this some sort of agenda?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 AM

570 posts, read 907,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And this has what to do with the City of DeLand, and surrounding areas?
DeLand and Deltona may as well be on different planets.
Some of you are providing nothing but completely wacked-out opinions of a great place to people seeking accurate information.
If you really don't know what you are talking about, please keep your opinions to yourself. Driving by on I-4 is hardly going to give you a true picture of how nice West Volusia County is.
Is this some sort of agenda?
Why are you so defensive about people's opinion of Deland? Maybe you have some sort of agenda?

I would never ever live in Deland even if somebody gave me a house there. But you're right, I've never lived there even though I've been there many times. So I'll express the sentiment of Stetson students and grads that I know. We'll use fictitious names.

Question: How's Deland? Just the city, not ur school
John: I can't wait to go back home for the summer.
Mary: It sucks having to drive to Daytona or Orlando to do something fun. There's absolutely nothing to do in Deland.

There you have it.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Why are you so defensive about people's opinion of Deland? Maybe you have some sort of agenda?

I would never ever live in Deland even if somebody gave me a house there. But you're right, I've never lived there even though I've been there many times. So I'll express the sentiment of Stetson students and grads that I know. We'll use fictitious names.

Question: How's Deland? Just the city, not ur school
John: I can't wait to go back home for the summer.
Mary: It sucks having to drive to Daytona or Orlando to do something fun. There's absolutely nothing to do in Deland.

There you have it.
I'm not defensive at all, I just can't stand people giving out totally inaccurate and clearly biased information.

If you are going by what random Stetson students have to say, that explains everything. How many people in their late teens/early 20's seek out small town life? DeLand simply is NOT the way you have portrayed it. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando