U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 AM

383 posts, read 835,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Does Disney work with your hours (say if they are hiring and you're a working mom of a young child) do they have hours that would start say after school starts in the morning and end before the end of school day - for example, 10 to 2 or 3? Or do they basically have the philosophy of we tell you when you're working?

Thanks for any info
If you're seasonal you have a lot of flexibility on submitting your availability, but whether you actually get any shifts will depend on your department. The more flexibility you have in your schedule the more shifts you will actually get to pick up. There is also an Extra Hours Hotline where they list shifts that can be picked up across the property, that can often be a good source of short shifts. If you get hired you will be expected to have more higher availability during your training period, plus there may be certain times of the year when you are expected to submit a certain amount of availability. It will vary by department.

-Harry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 AM

998 posts, read 1,862,289 times
Thanks again for the info!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,143 times
I'm curious... exactly how long do you have to work CR before you can go CT?

Also, does anybody know if when you are hired as CT if you have to work the 6-8 weeks of full availability straight immediately after you are hired?

I'm from Orlando and want to work there this summer but I have to go back to school in the fall. Unfortunately, I'm not available really during April except for Saturdays do you think that I should wait to apply until after April when I know I'll be free? My concern is that they keep you in the system for 6 months so perhaps I should just apply now! Also I have to go back to school in late August. I go to school 2 hours away so I could potentially work on weekends.

Does anyone know how long the training process takes?

Thank you!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy2439 View Post
I'm curious... exactly how long do you have to work CR before you can go CT?

Also, does anybody know if when you are hired as CT if you have to work the 6-8 weeks of full availability straight immediately after you are hired?

I'm from Orlando and want to work there this summer but I have to go back to school in the fall. Unfortunately, I'm not available really during April except for Saturdays do you think that I should wait to apply until after April when I know I'll be free? My concern is that they keep you in the system for 6 months so perhaps I should just apply now! Also I have to go back to school in late August. I go to school 2 hours away so I could potentially work on weekends.

Does anyone know how long the training process takes?

Thank you!
Sorry, the answer to all of these questions will vary depending on your department and line-of-business. You can start as a CT, possibly not for every line of business. Not sure if you start as a CR how long you have to wait to change to CT.

I can give you the following info on lines-of-business where I've worked.

Everyone gets one day of Traditions no matter what line-of-business you are in. Everyone will get one day of property orientation at wherever you are sent to work.

Merchandise gets one day of class at Disney University on money handling and working a cash register. They then get between 3 and 5 days of training in their area.

Monorails gets a day of Transportation Basics, then 4 days of platform training. After working in monorails for a few months you will get a day of computer training and six days of drive training.

Front Desk gets a four day class at Disney University, then five days of training as a cashier and one day of training as a runner.

Concierge (which I haven't been but work with at the front desk) first get the Front Desk training, then work as a Front Desk Cashier for four to eight weeks, then are sent to a five day class at Disney University, then train on the desk as a Concierge for a number of days that I don't know.

At some point during your first few weeks you will get a class called Safety-in-Motion. It's about two hours long, and is a good class that is mostly about all the different ways you can injure your back by picking things up wrong. It's boring, but it's so important it should be required in elementary school if you ask me. Most departments you will have some computer based courses that are an hour or two long each and vary per department. For example, food and beverage and some merchandise locations will take a food safety course.

-Harry

Old 09-05-2010, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,699 times
What are the cast member maingate blockout dates currently listed on the Hub for the remainder of 2010? I'm needing to get the December dates for Epcot and Magic Kingdom asap for family travel planning. Thanks!

Old 09-06-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMDD View Post
What are the cast member maingate blockout dates currently listed on the Hub for the remainder of 2010? I'm needing to get the December dates for Epcot and Magic Kingdom asap for family travel planning. Thanks!
There are none through the end of October; they haven't posted November and December yet. They no longer post them for the whole year, only the next few months. They were supposed to publish November's at the end of August but they haven't done it yet, December is supposed to be published at the end of September.

To quote from the Hub:
Quote:
2010 block-out dates, which vary by theme park, will now be communicated on The Hub at the end of each month for a period of 90 days. The flexibility to change dates based on theme park demand allows the Company to better manage both employee and guest experiences. The hope is that there will be fewer block-out dates with this system than there would have been under the old method, which forecasted a full year out.
It seems to be that they have had fewer block out dates with the new system, but on the other hand the new system blocked out dates that weren't block out before; for example July 4 was blocked out in all four parks this year, whereas before you could go to Animal Kingdom and Epcot on July 4.

-Harry

Old 09-16-2010, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,699 times
thank you!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 AM

They have block out dates up through Jan 2011 now.

Magic Kingdom® Park

* November: Wednesday, November 24 - Friday, November 26
* December: Saturday, December 18 - Monday, December 20; Friday, December 24 - Friday, December 31
* January 2011: Saturday, January 1

Epcot®

* November: none
* December: Friday, December 24 - Friday, December 31
* January 2011: none

Disney's Hollywood Studios™

* November: Friday, November 26 - Saturday, November 27
* December: Sunday, December 19; Sunday, December 26 - Friday, December 31

Disney's Animal Kingdom® Park

* November: none
* December: Monday, December 27 - Friday, December 31

Also, don't throw away your 2010 Main Gate, they aren't issuing new ones every year anymore, your 2010 Main Gate will be your 2011 Main Gate as well.

-Harry

Old 09-24-2010, 08:34 AM

169 posts, read 391,208 times
Harry could you please tell me, my BIL is in management at Disney (is going on 26 yrs.), and we are going to be there from Dec. 27-Jan. 2. We haven't "officially" asked him for passes, just assuming it will be ok. Is that the standard black out dates for all employees? If so, I think my plans might be in trouble! We might not be able to get into any parks that week! Thanks for any info.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
Harry could you please tell me, my BIL is in management at Disney (is going on 26 yrs.), and we are going to be there from Dec. 27-Jan. 2. We haven't "officially" asked him for passes, just assuming it will be ok. Is that the standard black out dates for all employees? If so, I think my plans might be in trouble! We might not be able to get into any parks that week! Thanks for any info.
Those are the standard block out dates for just about everybody, the only exception are people with VIP passes (super high level executives, celebrities). New Years Eve the Magic Kingdom usually reaches capacity around 10 in the morning and is closed even for people with paid tickets. As a general rule, you don't want to go there on the block out dates anyhow because the parks will be packed. Think the busiest summer day you've been there and multiply it by 25% - 50%.

-Harry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando