U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 31,854 times
Question Part Time VS Seasonal AT Disney.....

Just wondering if theres any difference in perks from part time to seasonal work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 PM

181 posts, read 427,679 times
I'd like to know that too!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM

382 posts, read 804,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRocco View Post
Just wondering if theres any difference in perks from part time to seasonal work.
CT (Casual Temporary) = Seasonal
CR (Casual Regular) = Regular part-time

CR perks
CRs have scheduling seniority over CTs. CRs are represented by the union. I believe CRs get more admissions on their Main Gate pass. CTs accumulate seniority. CRs have access to the pension plan (although they will accumulate few hours than full-time Cast Members and will therefore get a lower benefit). I get the impression it is somewhat easier for CRs to transfer than it is for CTs.

CT perks
Much more flexible schedule; CRs can only change their availability twice a year, CTs can change it on a per-week basis (although the company provides no guarantee of hours, if they don't have shifts based on the weekly availability a CT will get 0 hours that week.) Also, CTs are not represented by the union (I don't consider this a perk, but I know some people will).

-Harry

Old 02-13-2010, 04:27 AM

42 posts, read 73,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
CT (Casual Temporary) = Seasonal
CR (Casual Regular) = Regular part-time

CR perks
CRs have scheduling seniority over CTs. CRs are represented by the union. I believe CRs get more admissions on their Main Gate pass. CTs accumulate seniority. CRs have access to the pension plan (although they will accumulate few hours than full-time Cast Members and will therefore get a lower benefit). I get the impression it is somewhat easier for CRs to transfer than it is for CTs.

CT perks
Much more flexible schedule; CRs can only change their availability twice a year, CTs can change it on a per-week basis (although the company provides no guarantee of hours, if they don't have shifts based on the weekly availability a CT will get 0 hours that week.) Also, CTs are not represented by the union (I don't consider this a perk, but I know some people will).

-Harry
Being represented by a union is a huge benefit. I don't care what anybody say's. I work PT and at least you have some protection on issues. Yes you get double the gate admissions than seasonal. As far as transferring it's like pulling teeth unless you give the company exactly what they want, which is at least 3 days of availability even though that is not a requirement of a part-time employee or in the union contract.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Double the gate admissions, what does that mean? I know if you work CT, you get free admission and hopefully no black=out times, but CR gets what for admissions, one for yourself and one for your spouse?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:56 PM

309 posts, read 502,045 times
A CR cast member will get 12 what Disney calls "Maingates" per year, basically it is a card that is seperate from your employee ID that will get you and up to 3 guests (or the amount of your dependents, which ever is greater) into the parks for the day (this includes Park Hopping). There are black out dates on your Maingate, and each park varies for the black out dates. Magic Kingdom black out dates are usually, Easter Day, 4th of July, and a few weeks around Christmas and New Years. The only day that Epcot is blocked out is December 31. The dates will be listed on your Maingate and the other parks have black out dates as well. Most of the time with these you can still use your employee ID to get in the parks but that is just for yourself, not for guests or your spouse. A CT cast member will only get 6 of these Maingates for the year. As far as the Union goes, I was a CR castmember before going CT and I was never in the Union although you still have to abide by the Union Contract. I work so little now being CT, (about once a month) it does not really make a difference to me personally. I do not know what Disney is hiring for at the moment but most of the time a person cannot be hired as a CT, they have to be CR for a year before changing their status....this is not to say that they won't hire CT, it is just not very common.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
A CR cast member will get 12 what Disney calls "Maingates" per year, basically it is a card that is seperate from your employee ID that will get you and up to 3 guests (or the amount of your dependents, which ever is greater) into the parks for the day (this includes Park Hopping). There are black out dates on your Maingate, and each park varies for the black out dates. Magic Kingdom black out dates are usually, Easter Day, 4th of July, and a few weeks around Christmas and New Years. The only day that Epcot is blocked out is December 31. The dates will be listed on your Maingate and the other parks have black out dates as well. Most of the time with these you can still use your employee ID to get in the parks but that is just for yourself, not for guests or your spouse. A CT cast member will only get 6 of these Maingates for the year. As far as the Union goes, I was a CR castmember before going CT and I was never in the Union although you still have to abide by the Union Contract. I work so little now being CT, (about once a month) it does not really make a difference to me personally. I do not know what Disney is hiring for at the moment but most of the time a person cannot be hired as a CT, they have to be CR for a year before changing their status....this is not to say that they won't hire CT, it is just not very common.
THANKS for this info! I'm going to keep it for reference.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelceriale View Post
Being represented by a union is a huge benefit. I don't care what anybody say's. I work PT and at least you have some protection on issues. Yes you get double the gate admissions than seasonal. As far as transferring it's like pulling teeth unless you give the company exactly what they want, which is at least 3 days of availability even though that is not a requirement of a part-time employee or in the union contract.
I agree, that's why I said I didn't think it was a perk, but I also know there are a lot of people around who think the opposite. I know transfering isn't easy for CRs, but its even harder for CTs.

-Harry

Old 02-14-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
There are black out dates on your Maingate, and each park varies for the black out dates. Magic Kingdom black out dates are usually, Easter Day, 4th of July, and a few weeks around Christmas and New Years. The only day that Epcot is blocked out is December 31. The dates will be listed on your Maingate and the other parks have black out dates as well.
They don't list the blockout dates for the next year anymore; starting this year they only make the blockout dates a few months in advance and you have to go onto the Hub to check them. For example, I'm on the Hub right now and it says blockout dates are available until May. These are the current blockout dates copy and pasted from the Hub:

Block-Out Dates for the Walt Disney World® Theme Parks are currently available through May 2010. Please check back monthly for the remainder of 2010 Block-Out Dates. Block-Out Dates are subject to change.

Magic Kingdom® Park

* January: Friday, January 1 - Saturday, January 2
* February: Saturday, February 13 - Sunday, February 14
* March: Saturday, March 27 - Wednesday, March 31
* April: Thursday, April 1 - Saturday, April 10
* May: none

Epcot®

* January: Friday, January 1
* February: none
* March: Monday, March 29 - Wednesday, March 31
* April: Thursday, April 1 - Thursday, April 8

Disney's Hollywood Studios™

* January: Friday, January 1 - Saturday, January 2
* February: none
* March:Wednesday, March 31
* April: Thursday, April 1 - Friday, April 2 & Monday, April 5 - Wednesday, April 7

Disney's Animal Kingdom® Park

* January: Friday, January 1
* February: Monday, February 15
* March: Monday, March 29 - Wednesday, March 31
* April: Thursday, April 1 - Wednesday, April 7

Quote:
I do not know what Disney is hiring for at the moment but most of the time a person cannot be hired as a CT, they have to be CR for a year before changing their status....this is not to say that they won't hire CT, it is just not very common.
That varies by line-of-business, when I was hired (full-time) in Merchandise in 2007 their were a lot of new hires who were CTs, and for the last year or so almost the only thing they've been hiring is CTs in most LOBs. When I had my First Impressions (hotel front desk) class in November, the only person in the class who was a new hire was a CT. A lot of departments have raised their minimum availability standards for CTs, especially new ones. My first department a CT had to commit to two weeks of full availability their first year and then one week in either Christmas or the summer, now that department requires one week of full availability in both Christmas and summer. In resorts I know they are hiring full time in Housekeeping, and CTs in Front Desk and Concierge (very small numbers).

-Harry

Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 AM

998 posts, read 1,806,101 times
Does Disney work with your hours (say if they are hiring and you're a working mom of a young child) do they have hours that would start say after school starts in the morning and end before the end of school day - for example, 10 to 2 or 3? Or do they basically have the philosophy of we tell you when you're working?

Thanks for any info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando