U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,557 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were raised in the Orlando area (near Little Lake Conway & Dommerich Estates respectively). We know the area has grown explosively and is going through a huge downturn at present but are moving back all the same. Since it has been about 22yrs since we left (to UF, then for work) we were wondering where house prices are retaining their value most & about the public schools in the area. I see that Boone and Winter Park are rated well; are there preferred elementary & middle schools in those areas? (We have 3 kids) I remember Edgewater being a good school but it has a D rating. Has College Park become less desirable/zoning changed? Also, there so many new developments & schools in the area. Anyone have thoughts on the Lake Nona area? Which new schools are likely to become overcrowded? I've heard that Baldwin Park is nice but values are likely to decline because of the marketplace; is that true?
Any helpful thoughts/impressions you'd like to share would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM

793 posts, read 2,031,017 times
Lake Nona is one of the warm soon to be hot areas with all the new jobs and retail on the way. Lake Nona high just opened, the area has great road access with Route 417 and 528, parks with bike paths and walkways, can you tell I like the area.

Just spent the weekend with a couple that purchased a new home.

I have pictures of Lake Nona and Baldwin Park that I just shot, I will try to post in a couple of days.

Hope this helps,

Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 PM

181 posts, read 587,390 times
What new jobs? I'd like to inform my son. I'd like him to move down here from up north.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,557 times
From what I've heard it is beautiful, somewhat isolated and close to the airport/417. My brother, sister-in-law and mother just moved to Lake Nona. It sounds great and we want to see it but are weary only because it is so new. UCF's new med school, Burnham Institute, M.D. Anderson (among others) are no doubt the driving force behind new jobs. What other indicators make it a hot spot? Do you think the planning in place has allotted for the rapid growth that will occur once the "medical city" is up and running? Overcrowding in schools seems to be chronic after an area expands. I'd love to hear more about the virtues & challenges Lake Nona & Balwin Park face.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,754,004 times
I looked at College Park, but could not find a decent home there. The ones we liked were way over priced and more than 40-50 years old. Winter Park..same problem..except for some new condo's. We bought in Baldwin Park and the prices are down from the peak ..2005..which is great for buyers. I think BP will hold up very well...it's location is the key. Just think what life will be like with gas at 5 dollars a gallon...which is not too far off...new homes...bank/publix/cvs/parks/pools all within walking distance..2 good schools which matter even if you don't have kids. The only problem I found with buying a home was the real estate agents. I kept in touch with 6 different agents. They all seem a bit lazy so you have to do your own leg work and be very agressive with the asking price. They all act like you should pay what the seller is asking.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:20 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,656,610 times
Dr. Phillips would be it in my opinion. Lake Nona from what little I do know of it is that its too early too know for sure how it will end up. Could be the next Baldwin Park, could also be the next Metrowest.

Dr. Phillips however is established enough its reliable, but still developing a lot. New theater going up should bring further growth as should its close proximity to the new Arena.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,468,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Dr. Phillips would be it in my opinion. Lake Nona from what little I do know of it is that its too early too know for sure how it will end up. Could be the next Baldwin Park, could also be the next Metrowest.

Dr. Phillips however is established enough its reliable, but still developing a lot. New theater going up should bring further growth as should its close proximity to the new Arena.
The Dr. Phillips PAC is not in or near the Dr. Phillips community. Neither is the new arena thats opening up in the fall.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,656,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The Dr. Phillips PAC is not in or near the Dr. Phillips community. Neither is the new arena thats opening up in the fall.
I disagree, I'm aware the new PAC and Arena are not in Dr. Phillips but they are extremely close. Dr. Phillips is the closest high end neighborhood near downtown that isn't already fully developed (Winter Park) and not going to recommend someone with kids to go to Thorton Park.

If you want to make sure the person knows they aren't in Dr. Phillips, that is fine - perhaps my wording could've been better particularly about the PAC. But to say its not even close doesn't seem right to me at all when it is the closest...

Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,754,004 times
How far you want to drive is the big factor anymore. Gas is not going to get cheaper and most likely will get alot higher, which is what the left and obama want. Schools are a killer too. You really have to do your homework and don't rely on "It's an A rated school".

Old 04-12-2010, 09:53 AM

4,187 posts, read 9,468,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
How far you want to drive is the big factor anymore. Gas is not going to get cheaper and most likely will get alot higher, which is what the left and obama want. Schools are a killer too. You really have to do your homework and don't rely on "It's an A rated school".
well you gotta factor in that cars are becoming less and less gas dependent everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando