Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,253 times

Advertisements

I'm moving in the fall...how is the crime there ...which is better place to live orlando, kissimmee or poinciana. Im a single blk male age 29 with 1 lil girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 7,473 times
I live in NJ now but I was born and raised in Orlando, FL. I miss FL!!! Anyhow, Kissimmee is a tourist spot and ok to live but employment is mostly attractions, dining, hotels, etc. Poinciana is great for finding nice homes with decent rent and very good schools. It wasn't very built up when I left but many businesses have made their way there and it's growing into a really nice place to live. I have two sisters with children that are happy living there. There is some crime but it's not that bad. Much more crime in Kissimme and Orlando. Orlando is a bigger city than the both of them so to give a comparison, one would have to know what part of Orlando you are looking to move. There are some really bad parts and some great parts. Most of employment will be found in Orlando. Many from Kissimmee and Poinciana drive to Orlando to work. For the most part, you won't have a problem with race in any of these towns. Florida is a melting pot. Hope this helped and good luck with your move.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:58 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwie3000 View Post
I'm moving in the fall...how is the crime there ...which is better place to live orlando, kissimmee or poinciana. Im a single blk male age 29 with 1 lil girl

I would pick Kissimmee out of those three after living in all 3 places if i was u in your situation....Just be carefull picking a good spot in the actual city of Kissimmee it can get dangerous on some streets....let me know what area of Kissimmee and i can tell u whats good

Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
A better part of Orlando is FAR more desirable than any place in Osceola County.

It really depends on what type of monthly housing expense you are willing and able to pay.

Why are you focusing on those three areas when there are a lot of much better areas around here?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
I would also recommend Orlando with a big caveat of where in Orlando to look.
There are areas of Orlando that are worse than Poinciana or Kissimmee in Pine Hills, the area around the new arena (Parramore), and South Orange Blossom Trail. Three major malls have kind of sketchy areas around them: Millenia, Florida Mall and Festival Bay. There are several nice areas in the heart of the city in the 32801, 32803, and 32806 zip codes. There are also several nice suburban areas of east Orlando and north of Orlando in Altamonte, Winter Park, Maitland, Longwood, Lake Mary, etc. SW Orlando is nice, areas like Winter Garden (newer half of WG that is), Windermere, Dr Phillips, the western half of Metrowest (west of Hiawassee). South Orlando's nicer pockets east of 1-4 are Hunters Creek, Williamsburg, Wyndham Lakes, Lake Nona (kind of SE). Apopka is nice, but pretty far out.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A better part of Orlando is FAR more desirable than any place in Osceola County.

It really depends on what type of monthly housing expense you are willing and able to pay.

Why are you focusing on those three areas when there are a lot of much better areas around here?
I agree!

Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times
Possible EAST Orlando or Southwest Orlando.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM

284 posts, read 985,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmee View Post
Poinciana is great for finding nice homes with decent rent and very good schools.
schools aren't very good at all and i personally would not recommend Poincianna to raise a family .
Poinciana Schools - Poinciana Florida School Ratings - Public and Private

Poinciana High School - Kissimmee, Florida - FL - School overview

Central Florida High School Ratings - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,253 times
thanks all for yall help..the reason i choose them three because of zipreality.com..a real estate website keep showing me them cities. I'm moving from savannah, ga area. I'm planning to buy my home in florida and orlando area seem a good place to live. I can't really do any real search until sept-oct.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
If you've got until Sept/Oct I would read through some of the other threads in this forum of other posters looking for the same qualities in a community that you are. Orlando, Kissimmee and Poinciana are very small percentage of Central Florida so you have MANY other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando