U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:28 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,562,674 times

Advertisements

I'll be going on a cruise in late July out of Miami. On the way home we plan on stopping in Orlando for a day.

Any suggestions on how we can make the most of just staying there for a day? We'd be coming from Miami and leaving Miami at about 730 in the morning. Google directions estimates that it would take just under 4 hours from Miami to Orlando. Well, most hotels you can't even check in till 3 pm.

So it looks like we'd probably get into Orlando around lunch time with the rest of the day free to do whatever.

Is is possible to do anything in Disney World in a day? (considering we don't get there till 1?)

Not really into the night life scene and we'll be doing the night life every night on the cruise so we'll be tired of staying up really late. Plus, were going to have to leave the hotel at around 6 a.m. just to make sure we get home at a decent hour the next day. Of course we don't mind staying out late if it's something really enjoyable.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 08:52 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,204,135 times
IMO, it would not be worth the price of admission and parking if you are going to arrive at the park around 1pm, especially in July, when it will still be crowded. If money is no object then it might be nice to go to Epcot and check out Illuminations.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 PM

129 posts, read 201,997 times
mongoslade, you are right on about admission & parking for one day, alot of money, so my first thought would be.....water park.

No parking fee, half the price of theme park, and the happiest you would be in the July heat. Also, you will be in bed by a decent hour for your 6am departure.

One thing I have realized about Florida summers. NOTHING compares to being in the water. It is awesome.

Have a great cruise!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygump5 View Post
mongoslade, you are right on about admission & parking for one day, alot of money, so my first thought would be.....water park.

No parking fee, half the price of theme park, and the happiest you would be in the July heat. Also, you will be in bed by a decent hour for your 6am departure.

One thing I have realized about Florida summers. NOTHING compares to being in the water. It is awesome.

Have a great cruise!

Water park? Where might this be? Parking is free but what bout the park?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2010, 12:39 AM

200 posts, read 449,959 times
Don't the water parks close a bit early like 5PM? Seems like that'd only give you a few hours. I think they might be open later like 7PM in the summer. If you don't plan on swimming at the hotel or cruise, then go for one of the water parks, otherwise, go for one of the parks - Epcot is my favorite.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:08 AM

325 posts, read 826,391 times
My vote is also Epcot if money is not an issue. Other wise you might just want to go to City Walk at Universal. Although parking is $14 City Walk itself has some great restaurants and nightlife. Maragaritaville, Nascar Cafe, Emerils, Rising Star, Pat O'briens. But most of these started until later in the evening. You could also Downtown Disney (has free parking), maybe see Cirque du Soliel, or goto Disney Quest, and eat at Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex cafe, Bongos, or House of Blues. There is also quite of bit of shopping that could be done in the Disney Market Place as well. Could definitely keep you busy for the afternoon and evening. Hope this helps a bit!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM

26,582 posts, read 50,134,130 times
In all honesty, you've got a higher than 50% chance of an afternoon thunderstorm that time of the year, which means that the few hours you'd have in a waterpark are actually even less than a few hours in a waterpark.

If you want something TRULY unique, take a class at Keila Glassworks

After you finish, you can have dinner at one of the many downtown restaurants and call it an early night.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 AM

10,879 posts, read 23,730,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite loop View Post
Don't the water parks close a bit early like 5PM? Seems like that'd only give you a few hours. I think they might be open later like 7PM in the summer. If you don't plan on swimming at the hotel or cruise, then go for one of the water parks, otherwise, go for one of the parks - Epcot is my favorite.
In the summer, I think Wet-n-Wild stays open til 10 PM. I'd check though to make sure. How about going to one of the Springs? This is my favorite: Parks & Recreation (http://www.orangecountyfl.net/dept/cesrvcs/parks/ParkDetails.asp?ParkID=22 - broken link)

Otherwise, I do think Epcot is a good choice. It's open later and you can see the fireworks at night.

If you are here on a Saturday or Sunday and like huge flea markets, you can try Flea World. Welcome to Fleaworld! (http://www.fleaworld.com/joomla/ - broken link)

There are places like Downtown Disney where you can just walk around, shop, and grab a bite to eat. Downtown Disney Area | Walt Disney World Resort

You can do a diner show like Arabian Knights, Midevil Times, or Cirque du Soleil.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 AM

How much is epcot?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 AM

26,582 posts, read 50,134,130 times
One day, one park adult tickets are $79+ tax, plus $12 parking per vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando