U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,953,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade1 View Post
Cheers for all the advice on clubs in downtown Orlando guys and the stuff on buses. Looks like we'll definitely have at least 2 nights there. Didn't realise it was going to be spring break when we are over there. Do you think the parks will be a lot busier at this time of year? Also was looking at the Daytona Beach Spring Break website, have the cracked down a lot there or is there still a lot of students that go there for spring break?
Honestly, I think you'd be better off going to Tampa rather than Daytona. Much better beaches in Clearwater, and far better nightlife in Tampa like Ybor City. Tampa is further, but if you go there you can hit up Busch Gardens...a fantastic park for rollercoasters.

Too bad the high-speed rail line from Orlando to Tampa is 3 years away from opening...you guys are perfect candidates. By then we will have public transportation rail options all around Orlando and out to Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,456,935 times
I don't mean to take over the topic, but I know someone who may be planning to move down here without a car. Is it possible to get around solely by LYNX as your mode of transportation? Has anyone done this? I've never taken LYNX.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM

26,582 posts, read 49,703,795 times
I have a few friends who live downtown with no car. They also work downtown, party downtown, see their doctor downtown, and have bicycles for the rare times they need to go anywhere just a bit too far to walk. They do use Lynx to get to the malls and other odds and nds of places.

Would I suggest living anywhere else in this area with no car? probably not.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:30 PM

181 posts, read 587,765 times
Panama city is where all the college kids go now, not so much Daytona. I learned that from my college-age nephews, who went there a couple years back for a couple years straight.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 PM

181 posts, read 587,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Definitely get to downtown Orlando, preferably on a Saturday night which will be the most packed. To add to the list of places people are recommending, check out Eye Spy if you want a good 'underground' dance scene, and right next to it, Independent Bar which has 80s and new wave usually, but a really nice dancefloor with amazing lighting and video. For hip hop and dance music, Bliss on Church St is the nicest. It's nicer than Tabu or Antigua. Antigua right nearby and Latitudes up above it are worth checking out. There are tons of places downtown actually...I think that 2 nights could easily be filled.
My son and his wife will be coming down and I want to give them this info. Are these all on Church Street? Where do you park?

Old 02-15-2010, 03:45 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,474,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I don't mean to take over the topic, but I know someone who may be planning to move down here without a car. Is it possible to get around solely by LYNX as your mode of transportation? Has anyone done this? I've never taken LYNX.

Poor people in Pine Hills/Parramore and other poor areas do it. And I heard that some UCF kids don't own a cars and use lynx somtimes. My friends and I used to use it as a last resort if we couldn't find rides, before we turned 16 and got cars. It got me around, it can double sometimes triple the length of your trip (depending on how far your going) compared to if you were driving or riding in a car.

Some areas you have to walk a good 15 min walk just to get to the nearest lynx stop and if your destination is outside of your bus stops route then you need to transfer and that adds on more time to the trip.

The UCF area is a good area to live if you need to rely on lynx and you don't want to live downtown because you have Link 434 which starts at UCF and goes north along 434 through Oviedo, Winter Springs, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, and Rosemont area.
Link 30 which starts at UCF and runs west on 50 all the way through downtown and further west all the way to Winter Garden. And Link 13 Which starts at UCF and runs west on University blvd, then onto Aloma, through parts of Winter Park, then goes down to the Lynx central station in Downtown Orlando. And you can easily transfer to just about anywhere from the Lynx central station downtown.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:30 PM

26,582 posts, read 49,703,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice66 View Post
My son and his wife will be coming down and I want to give them this info. Are these all on Church Street? Where do you park?
There is a ton of parking in the downtown area. I prefer the bars on Pine, Orange, and Central.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:23 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,456,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Poor people in Pine Hills/Parramore and other poor areas do it. And I heard that some UCF kids don't own a cars and use lynx somtimes. My friends and I used to use it as a last resort if we couldn't find rides, before we turned 16 and got cars. It got me around, it can double sometimes triple the length of your trip (depending on how far your going) compared to if you were driving or riding in a car.

Some areas you have to walk a good 15 min walk just to get to the nearest lynx stop and if your destination is outside of your bus stops route then you need to transfer and that adds on more time to the trip.

The UCF area is a good area to live if you need to rely on lynx and you don't want to live downtown because you have Link 434 which starts at UCF and goes north along 434 through Oviedo, Winter Springs, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, and Rosemont area.
Link 30 which starts at UCF and runs west on 50 all the way through downtown and further west all the way to Winter Garden. And Link 13 Which starts at UCF and runs west on University blvd, then onto Aloma, through parts of Winter Park, then goes down to the Lynx central station in Downtown Orlando. And you can easily transfer to just about anywhere from the Lynx central station downtown.
Thanks. He's down on his luck and looking to move here to Orlando to start over again. But he doesn't have cash for a car.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:24 PM

1,629 posts, read 4,564,240 times
He won't get very far without a car in Orlando...I'm sorry, but that's the truth. He can SURVIVE without a car in some parts of Orlando, but not much else.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,474,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
He won't get very far without a car in Orlando...I'm sorry, but that's the truth. He can SURVIVE without a car in some parts of Orlando, but not much else.
I agree, you can survive without a car in some parts, but I couldn't ever see my self living here without a car, even if I lived in downtown. You can only do so much with Lynx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando