Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 07:40 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,577,639 times

Advertisements

I haven't lived here terribly long (a little under 2 years), but what on earth? We drove down 192 and got on 535 to go to Sweet Tomatoes last night, and it must have taken us about an hour to drive what was probably about 5-6 miles tops. I felt like I was evacuating Houston for Hurricane Rita all over again. I kept expecting to come upon a horrific car accident, because I could see no other reason for it. I've been down that road a ton of times, but I have never been stuck bumper-to-bumper where I was just moving a few inches at a time. Were there some major festivities that I hadn't heard about? Was everybody taking their wives/girlfriends out for a pre-Valentine's dinner? I don't get it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 58,571 times
I took a trip to the Mall at Millenia last night and I was surprised at the number of people. I-4 heading to Disney was crawling. I don't know what was going on. Maybe all the crowed for the Daytona 500 came to Orlando.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,567,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WG Florida Life View Post
I took a trip to the Mall at Millenia last night and I was surprised at the number of people. I-4 heading to Disney was crawling. I don't know what was going on. Maybe all the crowed for the Daytona 500 came to Orlando.
The Daytona 500 seats 250k people

Daytona Beach a city of 64,000 DOES NOT have enough hotel rooms for all those people. Orlando does (we get roughly 1 million tourists a week coming in and out of the city) Some people fly here and rent cars, others drive their own cars here, therefore a massive traffic issue is created

The same thing happens when the Capital One Bowl comes to town, or when there is a Magic game at Amway arena

Also since Orlando is only a 1 hour drive (if traffic cooperates on a normal day) Many people who com form out of town or out of state to see the race stay in Orlando because it is fairly close

When the Daytona 500 comes to town my recommendation is if you are trying to get to Orlando AFTER the race lets out, DO NOT TAKE I-4 to get into Orlando, it might be more direct but it is a HUGE waste of gas! I would take I-95 down to 528 in Cocoa Beach and then take that into Orlando. Its perhaps the only alternate route as well

I am glad I worked today and did not need to get anywhere NEAR I-4

Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,577,639 times
Thanks for the explanation. I will keep in mind to stay far away from the major arteries the next time they have the Daytona 500!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,894,528 times
A couple of years ago I was trying to book a room in Tampa during the weekend of the Daytona 500 and it was close to impossible,just about everything was booked up even all the way out in Tampa.It probably might have been a bit easier to find something at a decent price in Orlando with so many more rooms but in Tampa $70 hotel rooms were going for over $200 and it was only a handful of those available.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,567,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I will keep in mind to stay far away from the major arteries the next time they have the Daytona 500!
I always tell people not to take I-4 coming in or out of Orlando if they are heading (or coming from) northern Florida. I have found it much less of a headache to take 95 down to 528 (or 528 to 95 if you're heading UP), even if you do have to shell out a few bucks for tolls, you passengers will thank you, your car will thank you, and you will thank yourself. you wallet? probably not but you get what i mean

Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM

181 posts, read 687,167 times
535 in Orlando. Daytona 500, like everyone said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando