U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 AM

5,969 posts, read 6,772,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
But there no doubt that central FL has a lot going for it.
That may or may not be so, only time will tell. But the increase unemployment (above the national average) will continue to be an issue for Central Florida for years to come. If unemployment is not addressed then Central Florida can not recover, as of yet Central Florida politicians are stumped on how to restart an economy that revolves around tourism.

Region's economy: Signs of recovery, yes, but a long, slow one - OrlandoSentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,665,845 times
I think someone has tourist envy...I know I sure do...

Last edited by JustinsMama; 02-15-2010 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Someone thought I was attacking them...

Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 PM

15 posts, read 28,275 times
"Ok journalist. We all know the economy isn't fixed anywhere in the US still. But there no doubt central FL has a bright future."

"Journalist"? I'm thinking about relocating with the fam to central FL. We're nurses so our future is always bright no matter where we go. We love the Orlando area and know Disney will always bring in some bucks for the area. Just saying the economy isn't even on the upswing. Hopefully start moving back by the end of the year but I seriously doubt it. Maybe your meant "economist"?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:30 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,468,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by customizerwannabe View Post
"Ok journalist. We all know the economy isn't fixed anywhere in the US still. But there no doubt central FL has a bright future."

"Journalist"? I'm thinking about relocating with the fam to central FL. We're nurses so our future is always bright no matter where we go. We love the Orlando area and know Disney will always bring in some bucks for the area. Just saying the economy isn't even on the upswing. Hopefully start moving back by the end of the year but I seriously doubt it. Maybe your meant "economist"?
The economy isn't really improving anywhere right now, I know this. But central FL tourism is starting to rise and this year is expected to be a good year tourism wise. That's what I was trying to say. And on top of that there are many projects under way in the area that will help improve the local economy even more.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM

15 posts, read 28,275 times
Medical City. That should help.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 AM

385 posts, read 1,178,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
What really gets me is constantly hearing Orlando/Central Florida is a one mouse town. This may have been true years (and I mean yeeeeaaaarrrrs ago) but today it is diverse and dynamic community.
It always annoys me when people say that too, and in fact it wasn't even that way years ago. Before Disney opened Orlando had a population of over 99,000. That's not a huge city, but it's not a small one either and those people weren't just hanging around waiting for Disney to open and give them jobs. Of course, you can't deny that Disney has a big (huge) effect on the area, but the first time I lived here I rarely ever had anything to do with Disney or any of the tourism industry but I was always busy and always had plenty to do. I work for Disney now, so I can't say that anymore, but I still think there is so much more to the area now even than there was the last time I lived here.

Since I moved down this time (2007) I have never had any reason to regret it, quite the opposite; I wish I had come down here a long time ago, or even never have left the first time I lived down here (1989-1990).

-Harry

Old 02-16-2010, 02:02 PM

765 posts, read 2,235,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
It always annoys me when people say that too, and in fact it wasn't even that way years ago. Before Disney opened Orlando had a population of over 99,000. That's not a huge city, but it's not a small one either and those people weren't just hanging around waiting for Disney to open and give them jobs. Of course, you can't deny that Disney has a big (huge) effect on the area, but the first time I lived here I rarely ever had anything to do with Disney or any of the tourism industry but I was always busy and always had plenty to do. I work for Disney now, so I can't say that anymore, but I still think there is so much more to the area now even than there was the last time I lived here.
Since I moved down this time (2007) I have never had any reason to regret it, quite the opposite; I wish I had come down here a long time ago, or even never have left the first time I lived down here (1989-1990).
-Harry

Before Disney, the big industry in the area was defense and the space program. Martin Marietta, the Air Force and the Navy were the big employers then.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 PM

64 posts, read 119,868 times
Great post. Life is not just about making money, we should think about quality of life, too. Is it job situation so bad that people can not find $ 8-9 job?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:37 PM

5,710 posts, read 11,229,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro22 View Post
Great post. Life is not just about making money, we should think about quality of life, too. Is it job situation so bad that people can not find $ 8-9 job?
actually yes it is. the job market is downright awful

a good friend of mine has not worked in nearly 2 years, she was laid off in august 2008, and her final extension of unemployment is set to expire at the the end of this month, and she has applied for EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I was extremely lucky to get the job that i have now. I was hired in January 2008 at $8 an hour and now up to $9.15 an hour. The day I quit my previous job, I applied, was interviewed and hired in the exact same day for Publix. Call it whatever you want but I was just damn lucky

I'd actually like a second job and NOBODY is hiring. Not even the theme parks

Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,468,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
actually yes it is. the job market is downright awful
a good friend of mine has not worked in nearly 2 years, she was laid off in august 2008, and her final extension of unemployment is set to expire at the the end of this month, and she has applied for EVERYTHING!!!!!!
I was extremely lucky to get the job that i have now. I was hired in January 2008 at $8 an hour and now up to $9.15 an hour. The day I quit my previous job, I applied, was interviewed and hired in the exact same day for Publix. Call it whatever you want but I was just damn lucky
I'd actually like a second job and NOBODY is hiring. Not even the theme parks
Quite a few of my friends have been getting hired these past few weeks and theme parks are hiring right now because spring and summer is coming up which are the busiest times of the year in Orlando, tourist wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando