U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 PM

5,711 posts, read 11,231,540 times

Advertisements

In spite of all the foreclosures and almost 12% unemployment this city still has SO MUCH going for it, and Orlando is going to take off and return to rapid growth once again

Things Orlando (as well as FL in general) have going for it.

-No state income tax
-Business friendly tax policies
-The Medical City in Lake Nona, as well as Innovation Way
-Great weather (for the most part)
-A relatively low cost of living
-Countless outdoor activities (the beach, hiking, parks, forests, etc)

I'm posting this because I'm sick of hearing so many people put this city down both here on the forum, and in the offline world. The city has too much going for it to go under anytime soon

GO ORLANDO! Who's with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:34 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,469,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
In spite of all the foreclosures and almost 12% unemployment this city still has SO MUCH going for it, and Orlando is going to take off and return to rapid growth once again

Things Orlando (as well as FL in general) have going for it.

-No state income tax
-Business friendly tax policies
-The Medical City in Lake Nona, as well as Innovation Way
-Great weather (for the most part)
-A relatively low cost of living
-Countless outdoor activities (the beach, hiking, parks, forests, etc)

I'm posting this because I'm sick of hearing so many people put this city down both here on the forum, and in the offline world. The city has too much going for it to go under anytime soon

GO ORLANDO! Who's with me?
I agree with you. Its pathetic some of the things I read on this forum compared to the things I see and hear in real life or see on factual websites. Orlando still has a great recipe for development, and as the economy recovers the city will continue to grow and develop. I guess a lot of these City-Data Forum users are in for a surprise.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:55 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,171,319 times
I have been and always will be an Orlando fan. The 7 years I lived there were some of the most enjoyable I've ever had, and I made some cool new friends. If the circumstances in my life were different, I would be there now

I'm only a 6 hour drive, so Orlando is still gonna see plenty of me I hope to catch a Magic game before the season's over.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:11 PM

7,732 posts, read 10,991,452 times
I definately agree with you, DavieJ89!

Orlando's fundamentals keep growing stronger, despite the economy. With the new assets coming in, it will only rebound even better than some expect.

People have been underestimating Orlando for years. That will probably never change. A lot of it is nothing but envy, imo.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:33 PM

10,772 posts, read 23,410,648 times
I have to say I like it here too. Everything is convenient, plenty to do and close to the beach. I just wish it wouldn't be so hot for so long. Although, I don't care for cold, this is how winter should be.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:35 PM

8,217 posts, read 10,272,559 times
I fully agree. we are a great city with much growth ahead. There is no better place to be in this country.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,666,352 times
You all know I'm with you. If only in spirit for now.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,109,014 times
I agree, Orlando is such a wonderful, beautiful city. It's sad to hear so many negative things on this board about it.

I'm currently living in NYC for college and I miss Orlando every day. It's such a well-kept city for the most part, and is constantly growing into something better and better. I know there are some who are for some reason resentful of Disney's existence, but I think it just adds magic to the city. I'm so grateful that I grew up there and call Orlando home.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 PM

819 posts, read 1,422,800 times
Best of luck o town I hope things get better for my home town.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:19 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,040,645 times
What really gets me is constantly hearing Orlando/Central Florida is a one mouse town. This may have been true years (and I mean yeeeeaaaarrrrs ago) but today it is diverse and dynamic community. I am young minority professional, and I have lived and worked throughout the state and the country. I can honestly say that in my travels and labor I have always felt comfortable here in Orlando. I say this not only because I am longtime resident but because I have had the opportunity to see and experience other places. There are not a ton of young professionals in the area and even fewer minority professionals but maybe because we are a young developing community, I have always felt optimistic about my chances for success here. In other areas I felt because I was not old money, or 5th generation in that city I would never move up or hit a ceiling early on my career. In other places I felt as if some of my colleagues believed I only made it to where I am because of affirmative action or government program. Although I have encountered those same feelings here it is rare and far between. If anything, I have felt encouraged here by older professionals who are happy to see a new face or more diverse face. Of course it's not all roses but I can say that my city shows me love so I love my city back.

I recently went out of town for a few days. I know Orlando is far from the bastian of progressive thought or on the cutting edge but as I returned and saw the glowing welcome of the ORLANDO sign on the conroy overpass I felt relieved. Releived to be back in a place where people are willing to at least consider other views. Releived that when I walk into my grocery store, my shopping mall, my neighborhood park, my local bar that I am not going to be looked at as an outsider.

We have had some insightful discussions about mass transit and other urban planning issues on this forum. I am glad I have such intelligent people to discuss these issues with even if there views differ from mine. I've tried having those same types of conversations with people in other areas of the state and it's always a very short conversation. "It'll never work", "Not in my backyard" and "only poor people use that and I don't want them spreading" is the arguments I usually get. I'm glad that here we debate how best to create/expand the system. I've seen many developments like the Plaza downtown, Baldwin Park, Thornton Park and Sodo just flat out fail in other places. Here these types of urban developments have become some of the highest priced around. I don't want to see our entire area turn into the New York Metro area, but I am glad to see that people are willing to try and accept other lifestyles here rather than just our surburban mentalities.

I am extremely proud when my family and friends come in from out of town and are just overly impressed by our resources here. I had family visit to see a relative in the hospital. They were astounded at the size and complexity of Florida Hospital. There were even more surprised when I told them that the ORMC campus just down the street was equally expansive and provided the same type of services. Tourism is no doubt the backbone of our local economy but we have great developing sectors in health care and technology. Throw on top of that UCF is becoming a national research, academic and (hopefully better soon) athletic institution. When the economy bounces back tourism will rebound and our other sectors will continue to grow. The opportunities here are endless.

So for those who have already counted Orlando out, I say to you, we haven't even begun to get started yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando