U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 PM

26,582 posts, read 50,282,325 times

Advertisements

DVC does require you to have a real estate license unless you are just manning one of the kiosks in the parks or hotels,. But if you are actually selling real property (ie a "Guide") you MUST be licensed in the state of Florida. I know this for sure because I looked into it as a career possibility at one point.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,697,799 times
Any ideas what the "kiosk" guys get paid?

Old 02-19-2010, 04:48 PM

541 posts, read 1,718,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
I think they start at about $8.00-$9.00/hour and get a bonus of 25 cents or so if they send someone on to a DVC tour (per party.) They have to be OK with working in all types of weather outside for long hours- 95 degrees or 30 degrees

Old 02-19-2010, 04:56 PM

26,582 posts, read 50,282,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Just above minimum with small bonus potential.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,697,799 times
Yeesh! Okay thanks both anyways...

Old 02-20-2010, 02:15 AM

8,219 posts, read 10,398,513 times
There are many ways to get listings that arent hard. there are many ways to sell homes. In every market there are certain things that excel. This is probably the best market in decades. Clients are so numerous. the greatest challenge new people have is learning the area and what areas provide the best fit for what a client is seeking.
Some choose to always recommend where they live, I find that serves no one. developing a host of support people, repairmen - from floors to roofs, plumbers, mortgage, title and so forth provides services to clients that will be invaluable. Knowing that an HO is in receivership, or facing huge assessments, that can protect the interests of your clients. Knowing how to suggest asset protection and what the structure would look like is essential for investors. and even homeowners that want to be bullet proof to lawsuits.

Service comes in many packages. I'd say treating those that want the $30,000 property like those that want the $3M home equally is a good start. I can't tell you how many small clients have grown to large ones, because I was willing to do what others won't be bothered with. Protecting the interests of the small buyer is as important as the large one. You never know who they know or will recommend you to.

There are so many things that go into being a good agent. Sometimes it may even come down to knowing when to walk away from a client. Sometimes it is making sure they are aware of the risks of a deal. I watch so many agents work on things like short sales that haven't a clue how to do one. I suggest to stick to what you know or around those that can help you through what you don't.

Some agencies have better training than others, none really prepare you to the self motivation required to make it in this field. I'm one of the fortunate ones. I make good friends, I take care of them like they are my family, I listen to what they say, and offer guidance when it is warranted. I get a variety of clients and I give them all the benefit of years of working and investing in real estate.

It is true some of the big companies will take a hunk of your income. For me I worked with a few so I could see how they did what they do.

Most companies are in bed with a Title company and don't divulge the relationship, I find that deceptive. One company in town actually owns the title company they use. They get so blinded by greed they tell owners to force buyers into using their companies, often in violation of Respa Title 9.

I don't want my sellers being faced with 3 times the cost of title as a penalty of their companies greed.

Many companies charge an "administrative fee" from $200 -$600 this is nothing more than a way to milk buyers and sellers out of money at the closing table.

for me I prefer to protect the interests of my buyers and sellers. I don't find exposing them to suits or junk fees is a good way, but that's just me call me old fashioned.

There are a thousand ways to make a living in real estate. some are very good. Keep it simple, keep it honest, and keep it legal. That's my 2 cents.

All the best,
Ken

Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,353,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minet View Post
My friend just got her RE license and is working for Keller Williams. She's finding it extremely difficult to get clients because even if someone wants to list with you, the houses aren't selling. As for buyers, they aren't all that many of them and my friend found that those that are go to the more experienced agents.

Have a friend who has been selling houses for 20+ years. She is currently working 2 part time jobs and still trying to sell homes just to make ends meet. She is in her 60s and is often in her office at midnight and back at the store at 6AM. She works for one of the better known agencies. Many realtors have given up and shut down their offices around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando