U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 05:25 PM

310 posts, read 745,201 times

Advertisements

Staying at the Disney Swan / Dolphin resort this coming week. Going to be there for a conference and the wife is coming to join for a few days. It does not sound like the conference comes with admission into the park, but that remains to be seen. Regardless, we have been to Disney once before and pretty much did almost everything that can be done in the parks. So - what else is there to do in Orlando? Any creative ideas? Any other touristy things to do that are either in Orlando or in driving distance? Any must see events or very cool restaurants? Downtown Orlando worth the trip? (and if so, what is there to do there?). We are on a budget and are in are lower 30's by the way. Will have a rental car.

I would appreciate any ideas. We have a clean slate right now and have absolutely nothing planned. Just looking forward to a little home away from home time and taking a break from the frigid winter in the northeast!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 PM

4,610 posts, read 3,597,285 times
There is plenty to do in Orlando. You can take in a movie, go to the library to read a delightful Jane Austen book, or visit the new Booger King restaurant in historic downtown Kissimmee. Sometimes just taking an evening stroll along I-4 is very soothing.

Try going to the Blue Martini to see if Tiger is hanging out there like he used to.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:41 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,468,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
There is plenty to do in Orlando. You can take in a movie, go to the library to read a delightful Jane Austen book, or visit the new Booger King restaurant in historic downtown Kissimmee. Sometimes just taking an evening stroll along I-4 is very soothing.

Try going to the Blue Martini to see if Tiger is hanging out there like he used to.
lol

Old 02-20-2010, 06:42 PM

8,181 posts, read 15,349,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
Staying at the Disney Swan / Dolphin resort this coming week. Going to be there for a conference and the wife is coming to join for a few days. It does not sound like the conference comes with admission into the park, but that remains to be seen. Regardless, we have been to Disney once before and pretty much did almost everything that can be done in the parks. So - what else is there to do in Orlando? Any creative ideas? Any other touristy things to do that are either in Orlando or in driving distance? Any must see events or very cool restaurants? Downtown Orlando worth the trip? (and if so, what is there to do there?). We are on a budget and are in are lower 30's by the way. Will have a rental car.

I would appreciate any ideas. We have a clean slate right now and have absolutely nothing planned. Just looking forward to a little home away from home time and taking a break from the frigid winter in the northeast!

Thank you.
Winter Park is a neat place. You have the Winter Park boat tours and you can stroll along Park Ave.

Blue Springs State Park will have mantatees for you to see. Get on the Beachline(528) will take you to Cocoa Beach.

Old Town in Kissimmee is pretty cool.

If you do go to Downtown Orlando and are into antiques, go to North Orange ave and you'll find the antique district. The history museum is neat but I wouldn't plan a whole day around it.
Downtown at night is really only good for the clubs.

Gatorland is an old standby too.

Others can help you with the restaurants I'm sure, we have our regular haunts but they are nowhere near the area you'll be.

Have fun.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:47 AM

3,634 posts, read 4,476,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

i like this response ....its down to earth....and true....a trip should be with this mindset and free of stress i think....i would say just drive around town and im sure you will find something to get into.....Orlando has many different and interesting areas just to people watch or look at things while u get a sub from a sub-shop or stop at a park near a lake and watch people fishing....but more specifically if visiting and wanting to know a destination to head to....well here are some cool areas u can drive to and im sure you will see something on the way to fill your time up.....check out Doctor Phillips off of Sand Lake Rd to see some cool rich people shops and resturaunts.........maybe go to Downtown Orlando after 10pm at night and see all the cool cars and scantly dressed people hitting up the clubs and bars....go to a Magic game while down there too maybe....Altamonte Springs has some great resturants and a really nice mall/movie theater area....Celebration is good to kill like 30 minutes driving through there too...or hit the historic part of Kissimmee near lake Toho- and check out the fishing and park.....or drive back off of 535 in Windermere around 7-9pm and check out a fireworks show for free and then look at all the beautifull houses where Magic Players, Tiger Woods, Shaq, and Michael Jackson all owned houses....roll down 192 in West Kissimmee and check out the tourist strip and the old town area....head down I-drive at night time near Wet n Wild and the convention center area there is lots to see and do there karaoke bars and tourist spots all over that road....check out all the strip clubs or regular clubs/bars all over the Orlando area if u are into that......or stop off of south OBT at night around 8-11 for some food at one of the many food wagons on the side of the road and chat with some street racers and thugs...lol...or check out tha hookers walking along the street a lil more north along OBT...that can be free entertainment...lol....who knows what u can get into....it all depends what kind of person u are

Last edited by RazorRob305; 02-21-2010 at 02:58 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 07:40 AM

8,217 posts, read 10,270,406 times
There is also Fantasy of Flight on I-4, The Kennedy Space Center, The water parks aren't as expensive as the parks.

hmmm restaurants... Mimi's at Millinea or Altamonte for $13 you can get salad/soup , entree and desert. check online for coupons even

Kiki's at Millinea and the breakfast club downtown are great for the morning meal. Or if you want it really cheap The Koffee cup in St. Cloud

The Earl of sandwiches in downtown disney is pretty good kindof price for a sandwich though.

If you want a nice splurge, do the Blue Man group or La Nouba. I think there are discounts to Blua man making it about $30, La nouba is in the $50-65 range, check on line

If you are coming with a group Buca De Pepo is a festive Italian restaurant but you order as a table as the servings are for an army.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:21 AM

4,155 posts, read 7,038,847 times
Towards the end of the week (Thurs- Sun) head downtown and make a daytrip of it. In the afternoon head to Thornton Park and take a walk around Lake Eola (there are festivals or special events going on almost every weekend here or somewhere downtown, check www.downtownorlando.com), every Orlando visitor should ride the swan boats at least once (unless of course it's freezing like lately). After wards head to one of the Thornton Park restaurants. Wildfires, Graffiti Junktion, Tijuana Flats, Mucho Tequila and Anthony's are all affordable. Shari also has happy hour sushi from 5-7 if you like sushi ($3 rolls). Afterwards you walk along Central Ave. to downtown where you can hit one of the many happy hours for a drink or two. I reccomend Wall St. Plaza, Finhenry, Ember, Antigua, Urban Flats, Vixen or Lattitudes depending on the day and your personal style. By than you can take in a movie at the theater downtown or just jump into the mix with the other partygoers. It really doesn't get packed (by packed I mean tens of thousands packed) downtown until about 10 but basically from afterwork on it going (the restaraunts and clubs will all have good business during these hours). One caveat, this trip will wear you out, I wouldn't due it if you have to attend an early morning conference the next day. Save it for the last day of conference.

For more laid back option, try:
Park Avenue in Winter Park and take a walk through Rollins College Campus across the street
Loch Haven Park (the Science and Art Musuems are both here, you can do both in a full day)
Lue Gardens
If you like Asian food, Colonial/Mills is lined with good authentic Asian restaraunts
Millenia Mall and the Premium Outlet Malls are great for people watching

If you have time to take a slightly longer drive:
Crane's Roost Park in Altamonte Springs is located right next to a movie theater and major shopping area. They usually also have free entertainment (check the city of Altamonte Springs website for schedule).
Sanford riverwalk is nice.
Wekiwa Springs State Park
Downtown Mt. Dora is a throwback to old Florida
Bok Tower and Gardens
Hit the coast (Daytona Beach, New Smyrna and Cocao beach are all short drives)
If you're a sports fan take in a Magic or a Titans (Major League Lacrosse) game.
If you're anything like me and a big college football fan, drive up to Gainesville to take a walk around campus and see the fabled Swamp (1.5 hr drive).
Take a trip to Tampa Bay (MOSI, Clearwater Beach, South Tampa, Downtown St. Pete approx. 1-1.5 hr drive)

These are all things you can do without breaking the budget. Have fun and hope this helps.

Last edited by Crane's Rooster; 02-21-2010 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 11:47 AM

310 posts, read 745,201 times
wow, thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando