Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:53 AM

21 posts, read 74,409 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on soon beginning to live part of each year in the Orlando area, and am wondering, do any Greater Orlando suburbs fit this description: a small town vibe with a sense of history and culture? I was looking at Winter Park and Oviedo. Do these apply? Which one moreso? What about Celebration (even though I know it's a recently developed community)? What about Winter Garden? I'd like to live in a place like this while also knowing that the very urban Downtown Orlando is relatively close at hand (including its nightlife), and the theme parks of Orlando (yes, I admit, I am a theme park fanatic) also relatively close at hand. As an alternative idea for Orlando section to live in, I might also look into an area with a rural/countryside feel, so which areas fit THAT description? Oh, and P.S. I'm only 24 years old. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by da8509; 02-21-2010 at 02:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,788,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da8509 View Post
I'm planning on soon beginning to live part of each year in the Orlando area, and am wondering, do any Greater Orlando suburbs fit this description: a small town vibe with a sense of history and culture? I was looking at Winter Park and Oviedo. Do these apply? Which one moreso? What about Celebration (even though I know it's a recently developed community)? What about Winter Garden? I'd like to live in a place like this while also knowing that the very urban Downtown Orlando is relatively close at hand (including its nightlife), and the theme parks of Orlando (yes, I admit, I am a theme park fanatic) also relatively close at hand. As an alternative idea for Orlando section to live in, I might also look into an area with a rural/countryside feel, so which areas fit THAT description? Oh, and P.S. I'm only 24 years old. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I would say Winter Park is the best option in the Orlando area for a historic feel...as for a touch of country in a suburb and a historic feel in the area...maybe Apopka or Sanford...Oviedo is too new feeling to be historic at all

Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 AM

Thank you! And I just found out about Windermere. What's that like?

Old 02-21-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Thank you! And I just found out about Windermere. What's that like?

i delivered pizza out there for 3 years i think its mainly a newer feel and not that historic....lots of disney employees live in the apartments and condos out there and in the housing developments are rich people...some Orlando Magic players live out there...mostly rich people live out there...i wouldnt choose that if you are looking for a place with history to it and that is safe ...Windermere is very nice but doesnt fit the description u were asking for really....do u defiantly need a historic country kinda feel to the suburb?

Old 02-21-2010, 02:48 AM

I don't definitely need that, I just really like history so a historical area appeals to me (ditto for rural areas, as long as urban areas are close at hand), but I'm definitely willing to know more about or look into other areas, as well, on second thought. Thank you so much for your help & information.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
I don't definitely need that, I just really like history so a historical area appeals to me (ditto for rural areas, as long as urban areas are close at hand), but I'm definitely willing to know more about or look into other areas, as well, on second thought. Thank you so much for your help & information.

Winter Park is probably the most historical feeling suburb in the area and u can find safe areas within it too, but there are some rough streets there as well...i know that right behind where the movie theater is in the Winter Park village can be kinda shady...i went to see a movie a few years back there and saw a dude with a torn up t-shirt and a black eye walking down the street then i heard some dudes laughing and looking from a distance..i assumed they beat tha guy up or something...he looked like he got robbed...and a few other times in that specific area i saw some other shady things happen but Winter Park isnt all like that for real...most of the area is nice except that pocket look near Aloma drive for some nice areas and most of the rest of Winter Park...but as nice as the movie/new kinda downtown center they've had up for the last 8 years or so i would say that area behind there specifically can get shady

Old 02-21-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:

My favorite area of Orlando is Altamonte Springs ...it is close to everything and has an established feel and modern feel but is close to Winter park and Apopka and Sanford..all which are historical suburbs in the area....maybe even longwood and Cassleberry have what you are looking for..i think most of those areas are safe....Altamonte Springs is a great area though

Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 AM

157 posts, read 477,738 times
Winter Park . It feels like an" old town " area, very nice for the most part. It is a pocket community that has a main street with store fronts and outdoor dining. It has a nice park next to it but its small. The homes range in price from affordable to the millions.
Windermere was a small area with history until the developers began expanding on that name. It has spread out and lost the feel as a historic area IMO. It still has a small main street with small shops for about a 1/4mile and that's it. It does feel rural in some area's as there are no major roadways running through it.
If you really want an old area that is close to downtown look at the area east of Lake Eola, Delaney park, and/or area's south of route 50 and east of route I-4. these area's have a suburban appeal and yet are close enough to the downtown area. They have some nice old homes spread throughout.
I live in Dr Phillips which is maxed out as far as development goes. If you take a ride down Apopka-Vineland road south of Sand lake road and turn off to the right onto Kilgore road you will think your in the country. Very nice area with high end homes. the biggest and most expensive front lake Sheen of course. You can see the Disney fireworks every night from there also. Its close by.
Celebration is a pre concoction that targeted a certain type of buyer. Its nice inside but its surrounded by Sh*t ie; route 92.
Oviedo is the edge of the country as far as I'm concerned.
Other rural feel areas are as such: Winter garden go past that area and look into Mt Dora, Mt Plymouth, Tavares, Ustis, real nice rural area's.
Also look either west of Orlando (Claremont, Monteverde) & east between the coast and Orlando. North of Sanford. (Deltona, Deland). these area's are all out there and will create a commute to the main Orlando centers. Visit & rent before you buy!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Pssst... it's "Clermont" not "Claremont"

Old 02-21-2010, 08:05 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Winter Park is the best option outside of the older Orlando Neighborhoods. If you're willing to look inside the city limits try Colonialtowne and College Park Neighborhoods. Winter Garden is also a good option if your near it's historic downtown. Sanford and Deland would also fit the bill but they are quite a distance away from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando