U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM

14,939 posts, read 9,574,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s8film40 View Post
You will actually make more money as a housekeeper than a manager. I have a friend who is a manager at one of the Disney hotels, he calculated his hours worked versus his salary and he make $9.00 per hour. Whereas as a housekeeper you won't make much less hourly but you could make quite a bit more when you factor in tips especially if your at one of the deluxe hotels. Not to mention if you do work over 40 hours like the managers do you will get overtime pay.

Yes, I agree whereas management positions are flat rate salary opposed to the housekeeping hourly. Good thinking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 AM

617 posts, read 910,042 times
I've been doing my College Program for a month now and am throwin in the towel! This Fake A** internship is a joke! I want to explain more but with Disney having all my Informtion and such strict *Cultish* ways I'd rather explain in a PM if anybody wants to know more!

Old 08-27-2010, 12:14 PM

76 posts, read 544,446 times
Yeah it's definitely not an "Internship".

Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 PM

33 posts, read 78,447 times
The College Program is a lot of very hard work in entry-level positions, with very minimal learning opportunity. If you are looking for a more serious internship, look for information on Disney's Professional Iternship program. It can be difficult to get accepted without doing the College Program first, but its not impossible.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM

214 posts, read 554,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I've been doing my College Program for a month now and am throwin in the towel! This Fake A** internship is a joke! I want to explain more but with Disney having all my Informtion and such strict *Cultish* ways I'd rather explain in a PM if anybody wants to know more!
I've found that settling for a job is just that. And it takes time and energy away from your real job search, sort of like "good enough" romantic relationships. Perhaps in the current economy things are different, but that's been my experience.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,671 times
I did the program in 2001 and 2003 at Walt Disney World and it really is worth it. What people look at is the name Disney on your resume. This is because of going through traditions (Disney guest service training). Business across the globe send their executives to receive this training. So on your resume employers are not looking at your role they are just looking for the name of the company. Networking is a major benefit of the program. With any type of experience what you put into is what you get out of it.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM

617 posts, read 910,042 times
yea, I've already completed my program..It was AMAZING. lol

Old 06-10-2011, 06:35 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,029,610 times
Let me say this... I knew of someone with 25 yrs experience in a highly technical professional field.... His phone interview was phenomenal ... They explained on the phone all the bennies, and that they would pay to relocate his family.... The catch .... Absolute top end of pay range was a full 30% below his current rate... When he said he couldn't see beyond a 25% cut... That was it... He never heard from them again.

Make sure you really want it

Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,537,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
So, I graduate in July and got accepted as a "Housekeeping" role at Disney. The problem is, I am a busines marketing major, and yes want to work with hotels, but not necessarily "Housekeeping"... I want to get my foot into Florida, so this is a good opportunity in that sense, but I don't know if the program is actually worth it or relevant? Any opinions?
Most of the individuals people in the College Program at Disney World don't want to leave. I spend this past winter working at Walt Disney World in Housekeeping at the Contemporary resort. Housekeepers gets lots of break time and break for lunch. It's hard work but the day's go by very fast.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,173 times
Default Fun in retail?

Hey there everyone. I was recently accepted into the Disney College Program and I couldnt be more excited. Ive been doing lost of research and am getting nothing but positive feed back from family and friends saying "You HAVE to do it! Im so jealous".

However, there is a point of concern that I am hoping to clear up. I have been working retail for the last 8 years of my life to pay for college. So, naturally, they put me in a position where I will be in their merchandising department. Is it worth going down there for 4-5 months to do that same thing ive been doing for 8 years? Ive heard that you work alot, but I was hoping to get at least some time off to meet new people, make some new friends, enjoy the Florida atmopshere.... that sort of thing.

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: