Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 PM

719 posts, read 1,325,660 times

Advertisements

So, I graduate in July and got accepted as a "Housekeeping" role at Disney. The problem is, I am a busines marketing major, and yes want to work with hotels, but not necessarily "Housekeeping"... I want to get my foot into Florida, so this is a good opportunity in that sense, but I don't know if the program is actually worth it or relevant? Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:21 AM

7 posts, read 21,922 times
My opinion, as someone who has worked in the hotel business for over 10 years, is to take what you can get! There is nothing wrong with starting in housekeeping. You will gain valuable experience for your future. If you feel that you are too good for this position, you may not like hospitality as a career. It is all about getting you hands dirty and getting the job done to make the guest happy. Good luck! I think this is a great option for you!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 AM

719 posts, read 1,325,660 times
Very True. I don't mind doing housekeeping, but I'm wondering If I will be able to find a job after the program is over, or If I will be able to promote easily. I've been applying/interviewing/looking for many jobs in hospitaliy in Atlanta, but have no luck, and I feel like this could be my ticket to Florida. How is the Tourism/Hospitality industry in Orlando and the rest of Florida at the moment?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:08 PM

592 posts, read 2,182,153 times
What do you mean by "housekeeping role". Is it a corporate/office position that deals with managing the housekeeping component of the company, or do you mean cleaning someone's hotel rooms...

If it's the former, definitely go for it. It's much easier to get a perm position / new opportunity internally once you are in the door.

If it's the latter, no way! You did not got through 4 years of college to be a house cleaning lady/guy! Unless it's some sort of disney mandatory training that require you to do housekeeping before moving to your real job. Even then, make sure you get some sort of guarantee from them that they are not just using you as cheap labor to be a cleaning lady....

Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM

385 posts, read 1,398,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Very True. I don't mind doing housekeeping, but I'm wondering If I will be able to find a job after the program is over, or If I will be able to promote easily. I've been applying/interviewing/looking for many jobs in hospitaliy in Atlanta, but have no luck, and I feel like this could be my ticket to Florida. How is the Tourism/Hospitality industry in Orlando and the rest of Florida at the moment?
You shouldn't have a problem getting hired full-time as a housekeeper after your program if you successfully complete it. Once in the door as a full-time cast member, you will be eligible to transfer to other full time roles after 6 months (6 months after your full-time hire date, not your college program start date). You will also be able to participate in Leadership Casting Calls (in-house salaried and professional hiring events), not sure if you have to wait six months for that or not, I think it varies depending on what position the LCC is for. While on you college program there will be many networking events.

You will also be able to look for a professional internship after your college program. There are a lot of applications for a very small number of these, so they are very, very competitive.

-Harry

Old 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM

385 posts, read 1,398,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
What do you mean by "housekeeping role". Is it a corporate/office position that deals with managing the housekeeping component of the company, or do you mean cleaning someone's hotel rooms...

If it's the former, definitely go for it. It's much easier to get a perm position / new opportunity internally once you are in the door.

If it's the latter, no way! You did not got through 4 years of college to be a house cleaning lady/guy! Unless it's some sort of disney mandatory training that require you to do housekeeping before moving to your real job. Even then, make sure you get some sort of guarantee from them that they are not just using you as cheap labor to be a cleaning lady....
A housekeeping role in the college program means cleaning people's hotel rooms. It does not come with any guarantee of employment at the end of the program.

A lot of college graduates these days are in a lot of low level positions, it is better to have your foot in the door of a large company in a low level position if that is the only way to get started in your chosen field. If you wait for something that guarantees a path up, you are almost certain to be waiting for a long time. Disney is very good about promoting from within but they don't guarantee anything, nor should they. A lot of managers at Disney come out of the resorts and a lot of them started in housekeeping.

-Harry

Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM

331 posts, read 1,047,970 times
I just want to chime in with some advice with my experience at Disney. I have been a Disney Cast Member since 2006. In that time I have only seen 2 people move into management positions from an entry level position. I myself at one point wanted to work in management at Disney but after seeing how long it can take for someone to move into management I gave up. I have a Bachelors Degree in Hospitality Management and after 4 years of school, I did not have the time to sit around at Disney making $8.00/hr for the hope that some day in a few years I might get a management position. The company believes in heavily networking, and moving up the chains, so to speak, and when a position becomes available there are many people that apply. That said, I do think the College Program is a good idea, if anything it is a fantastics resume builder and everyone I know who has done the college program has enjoyed it. It is a great way to gain experience and make many new friends! At the end of your program if you are not able to become full time with Disney, you could always extend your program for another semester. This has been my personal experience at Disney so do take what you want from it.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 PM

181 posts, read 685,315 times
My daughter was on the college program in 2000. She worked at MGM Studios, doing crowd control at Fantasmic and Beauty and the Beast. She absolutely loved it and didn't want to leave. She still is friends with her roomates, who were from all over the country. She had a blast! She stayed at Vista Ways apts. Now she's, 30 yrs. old, married with four children and she brings them to DW every year!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,509,831 times
I worked part time at MGM Studios from 2006-2007 when I was in high school. A lot of the CP's worked so many hours because they were paid minimum wage.

AS much as they worked (50+ hours a week) all they usually did afterwards was party

So even if you are a housekeeper, the partying will more then make up for it

Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,494,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
So, I graduate in July and got accepted as a "Housekeeping" role at Disney. The problem is, I am a busines marketing major, and yes want to work with hotels, but not necessarily "Housekeeping"... I want to get my foot into Florida, so this is a good opportunity in that sense, but I don't know if the program is actually worth it or relevant? Any opinions?
Seems like a dead end job to me and I do not think it will lead to a higher position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: