U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 AM

986 posts, read 3,040,245 times

Advertisements

HOA dues is a fee set by the association which runs your community. They are specific to your community and cover maintainence of communal areas and facilities such as community pools etc. This fee depending on the community is billed either monthly, quaterly or annually depending how your particular HOA charge it.

In terms of taxes, taxes are based on the value of your property multiplied by what is called a millage rate. The millage rate is exclusive to your particular area. For example each community in Davenport may have a different rate and those rates will also be completely different to say Poinciana. It is essentially a regional thing.

The only difference in living permenantly and using the property as a vacation home is you will not be able to apply to homestead your property. For those whose home is their permenant residence, you can apply to homestead whereby originally they took $25,000 then upped it to $50,000 from the assessed value of the property and you pay tax on the remaining value. You wont be able to do this so you will be paying tax on the full value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 PM

26,582 posts, read 50,178,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
A couple years ago we rented a house along route 27 about 10 miles south of clermont. One day we drove north to Mount Dora, and after we crossed Route 50 I thought we saw lots of townhouses to the right, near Citrus Tower.

Looking at the map, I now see that most of them are single family homes on very small lots. Is that what people pay to see from the top of Citrus Tower?
There are apartments and single family homes in that area. A few townhome communities, but only one that I can think of that you see from Route 27, and it's on the other side of the street. Most of the houses in that area are on 1/4 acre lots.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:56 AM

3,634 posts, read 4,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly UK View Post
Davenport was one of the areas Ive been looking at to be fair, and there has been some VERY low priced foreclosure and bank owned properties popping up for sale, although the really cheap places have tended to be in Poinciana though.

Can someone explain about HOA's and how certain taxes etc may be affected by the property only being used a few times a year?

i lived in Davenport...i think you might like that area..you have a lot of people from the UK in the area..and some pubs and restaurants owned by people from the UK over there too....and the houses are all in safe neighborhoods and sounds like you have the right money for some houses in that area

Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 AM

54 posts, read 111,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
i lived in Davenport...i think you might like that area..you have a lot of people from the UK in the area..and some pubs and restaurants owned by people from the UK over there too....and the houses are all in safe neighborhoods and sounds like you have the right money for some houses in that area
Many thanks, it is one of the main areas I am looking for. I think its just a case of waiting till the right forclosure comes up and snapping it up asap as we have the cash.

I'm travelling out in 6-7 weeks for a week and going to blitz the market looking at various places to give me an idea and hopefully, you never know, find a place to buy!

Better areas within Davenport??

Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM

3,634 posts, read 4,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly UK View Post
Many thanks, it is one of the main areas I am looking for. I think its just a case of waiting till the right forclosure comes up and snapping it up asap as we have the cash.

I'm travelling out in 6-7 weeks for a week and going to blitz the market looking at various places to give me an idea and hopefully, you never know, find a place to buy!

Better areas within Davenport??
I would ask for more advice from someone who lived within the actual city limits of Davenport itself about those neighborhoods, but I lived along highway 27 off of Minute Maid ramp 2 / Burke Avenue in a neighborhood called Regency Place, and i used to travel north and south along highway 27 to go shopping and all the areas were pretty nice looking. i know we were renting and paying about 1100 a month for a 3 bedroom.
I would keep my search for nice neighborhoods all along highway 27 and Stay north of Southern Dunes blvd / Polk City Road.....anything north of there until you get into Clermont is nice and even the next exit up off of Interstate 4 in Championsgate is a nice area also.

look at highway 27 all along that road for nice communities
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=f...,0.087891&z=14

Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 AM

54 posts, read 111,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I would ask for more advice from someone who lived within the actual city limits of Davenport itself about those neighborhoods, but I lived along highway 27 off of Minute Maid ramp 2 / Burke Avenue in a neighborhood called Regency Place, and i used to travel north and south along highway 27 to go shopping and all the areas were pretty nice looking. i know we were renting and paying about 1100 a month for a 3 bedroom.
I would keep my search for nice neighborhoods all along highway 27 and Stay north of Southern Dunes blvd / Polk City Road.....anything north of there until you get into Clermont is nice and even the next exit up off of Interstate 4 in Championsgate is a nice area also.

look at highway 27 all along that road for nice communities
Google Maps

Many thanks for your helpful comments.

I am hoping to fly out in 5 or 6 weeks time for 10 days to commence my search and possibly some further information so I cant wait!

Is Clermont not advised then?

Last edited by Pauly UK; 03-08-2010 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Added bottom line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando