U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,005 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I hope you can advise me further.

Me and the wife have a great business in the UK and looking to purchase a second home in Orlando.

We need advise on the folowing please:

We have a budget of 500,000 - $600,000 cash and be keeping the UK home.

We are lucky enough to not work whilst in Florida as the UK business will support the purchase, cars, wages in US.

What do we need to look for when moving and areas as we will be leaving the home empty for a month or two at a time whilst travelling to UK etc.

Is the above budget enough for a nice house with pool etc in a good area. We are in our late 30's and just need advice.

We have little or no idea about this but something we would like to do very soon.

I hope you can help.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 PM

13 posts, read 45,870 times
Hi Bob,

Right now for around $600k cash you will be able to purchase a great house with a pool in a desirable area of Orlando, such as Windermere. Windermere is close to all of the attractions and seems to be a favorite of Brits who are in your price range. It is also home to some of the local elite, such as Tiger Woods and other professional golfers and corporate CEO's.

A fantastic, gated neighborhood is Keene's Pointe and there are a few homes for sale in there that match your price range. Just searching the MLS(Multiple Listing Service) in Windermere for homes priced between $500k and $700k with pools resulted in 56 homes from a 3 bedroom/2 bath house with 2099 square feet(193sqM) to a 5 bedroom/4.5 bath mansion with 6148 square feet(573sqM).

There are of course other desirable area's such as Lake Mary, Winter Park(my favorite), Winter Garden, and Lake Nona, among others. Winter Park is more of an "old money" area with older homes with some newer ones sprinkled about. It is just northeast of downtown Orlando and has a fantastic city center with shopping and restaurants. Your choices in your price range will be about half of that in Windermere, which took a much larger hit in the real estate crash.

For your price range, I wouldn't really worry about leaving the home vacant for a few months at a time. Most of the neighborhoods you will look at will be gated with guards 24 hours a day. Right now you have so many choices it can be overwhelming, as it is a buyers market and you will be able to get what you want and more.

Any more questions, just ask. There are many knowledgeable agents and brokers on this board as well as residents.

Basil

Old 02-27-2010, 06:20 PM

793 posts, read 2,032,353 times
I agree with the areas of Windermere, Lake Nona, Lake Mary and Winter Park; all have neighborhoods with guard gated entrances helping to ease the thoughts of leaving the home locked up for long durations.

The price range you suggest will give you a great selection of properties in most these communities with pools and upgrades throughout, Winter Park will be a bit higher although on the outskirts there is one.

My wife Patty (also a Realtor) and I spent the last 3 days showing a gentleman from Honduras the very areas discussed in the post above and he chose the Windermere area, a new home water front on a ski lake.

Hope this helps,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando