U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:52 PM

421 posts, read 1,159,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
Sorry for the double post.

I just read through your post in the Phoenix section. That guy was pretty negative.

But I see now that your program is offered at West or Downtown campuses. I was offering information about Tempe main campus, which is useless to you.

Downtown campus is literally downtown Phoenix. Parking is hard to come by, although I think ASU students have special permits. It might be easier for them. Rent is much higher in that immediate area, so you'd probably have to commute in unless you got lucky. I know there are many smaller houses just a bit to the north of downtown, some nice some not so much. To my understanding crime is higher, since there's more people packed in.

West campus used to be in a heavily agricultural area, but has since grown up. I haven't been by there in years, and never knew too many people out that way. Sorry.

I still hold that the public schools in those areas are a lower than on east side. My family has never been fond of West Valley, since it always seemed more industrialized and smoggy. The outskirts like Avondale seem to be a nice area that really benefitted from the housing boom. I do not know if they've maintained there higher standards or not since the housing market burst.
No worries, post as much as you want, I can use all the help I can get!
Yes, the negativity about Phoenix from that one poster threw me off.
I had been thinking East Mesa, Gilbert or Chandler. Is that a horrid commute to either Downtown Campus or West?
Thank you for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 PM

10,781 posts, read 23,437,606 times
We don't just have toll roads, there are other options to get around. I4 can get crazy during rush hour also. You do have the toll roads as an option, but you don't absolutely have to use them. The reason I suggested Oviedo is b/c it would be the closest to UCF. Not to mention, Oviedo is a nice place to live. You can definately get a house in that price range. If you're good, you could probably find something for $800-$900.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We don't just have toll roads, there are other options to get around. I4 can get crazy during rush hour also. You do have the toll roads as an option, but you don't absolutely have to use them. The reason I suggested Oviedo is b/c it would be the closest to UCF. Not to mention, Oviedo is a nice place to live. You can definately get a house in that price range. If you're good, you could probably find something for $800-$900.
Really? I looked on one website at rental listings and couldn't find anything that inexpensive. I found some in the 1200 range. Do you have advice on what websites I should be looking at to find these rentals?
Also, because it hasn't been touched on yet, is it a possibility to find a job as I mentioned above in Orlando's current economy. What I had been told for Phoenix was that I would be competing with hundreds of other people for a minimum wage job. Just trying to see what other options there may be in Orlando
Thank you again for your help! Please keep it coming, I'd like to actually be in my new state by July

Old 02-27-2010, 04:39 PM

I like Craigslist. I know ppl will knock it, but I have several friends and my daughter has used it to get awesome deals. Just make sure you meet the person first and draw up a contract. I can send you some examples if you'd like. Actually, I've helped a few ppl on CD move here from out of state.

As for jobs, check Craigslist again. Although, you'll be competing with others, I see several of those jobs pop up on there.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I like Craigslist. I know ppl will knock it, but I have several friends and my daughter has used it to get awesome deals. Just make sure you meet the person first and draw up a contract. I can send you some examples if you'd like. Actually, I've helped a few ppl on CD move here from out of state.

As for jobs, check Craigslist again. Although, you'll be competing with others, I see several of those jobs pop up on there.
Any help you can give me would be terrific! I would love some examples! The problem for me with rentals on Craigslist is that I am not sure I could meet them prior to coming out. I haven't really gotten that far yet
Still just trying to get together the right plan. i will say that Orlando is pulling me even though it's not as big a ity as I usually look for.
Thanks again beckycat

Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontob View Post
Any help you can give me would be terrific! I would love some examples! The problem for me with rentals on Craigslist is that I am not sure I could meet them prior to coming out. I haven't really gotten that far yet
Still just trying to get together the right plan. i will say that Orlando is pulling me even though it's not as big a ity as I usually look for.
Thanks again beckycat
I would stay at an extended stay for at least a week. Then, it would give you time to go look at places. Are you stuck on a house? There are some really nice condos with tons of amenities.

By the way, just b/c we are a small city, doesn't mean we don't have alot to do.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I would stay at an extended stay for at least a week. Then, it would give you time to go look at places. Are you stuck on a house? There are some really nice condos with tons of amenities.

By the way, just b/c we are a small city, doesn't mean we don't have alot to do.
Staying at an extended stay is excellent idea but I got concerned about what I would do with my furniture, etc., while not in a rental yet. I guess I was assuming it would be easier to just rent a place?

I think I just always thought Orlando was bigger. Not that it's a bad thing, I was surprised when I realized it is has a smaller population than Colorado Springs, lol
Plus, it would have to have mor to do in all the sunshine...

Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM

4,155 posts, read 7,046,573 times
There are many good areas that you could live and still commute to UCF with relative ease. The key, though, as with all of life unless you are filthy rich, is of course sacrifices. You may be able to get into a good school district in a relatively safe area, but the neighborhood itself may not be the community of your dreams. That being said, the biggest advantage between here and Phoenix is obviously tuition cost. I think, everything else being almost equal, UCF gets the slight edge. Areas not already mentioned that you may want to look at are Winter Park, Casselberry, East Orlando (University Ave area), Altamonte, and Maitland. These areas are generally safe, all with at least Good/Decent Schools and reasonable commute. Of all the areas I mentioned and those by others, I think Oviedo and Casselberry would be your best bets in your price range. I will second Craigslist for home searches. Also, you may want to consider an apartment complex initially as they are easier to get into and generally cheaper. After a year, or you can even do a shorter lease, you can look to find something in a single family home. With the market as it is, Apartment communities are pretty much paying you to live there.

As far as toll roads, the neccessity all depends on where you live. There is no where in Central Florida that you can't get without using toll roads, of course using them cuts down alot of time and congestion, but the surface roads here will take you everywhere. Truth is during rush hour the toll roads get just as bad, if not worse, than the surface roads. That's when it pays to learn the backroads.

As far as jobs go, it's probably the same odds for you in both cities as you are currently not a resident of either. The best advice I can give is to apply with a face instead of a resume. Try to get out and meet potential employers, that is always better than being another nameless resume. I'm sure what I'm saying is nothing new to you but in all honesty I have no other advice to give on this subject. The economy is what it is, so luck plays a big part. The one thing I will add for you is your story is compelling and if you approach an employer with a positive outlook eventually it will pay off.

I guess the final consideration in your move, were I in your shoes is consider the different cultures. Both places are fairly inundated with new comers from all over the country but still retain general cultural norms of their areas. What I'm trying to say, I think, is that Phoenix may be more familiar to you, having come for Cali and lived in Colorado, than Orlando. Although Orlando is not deep south, it's much more Southern and East Coast mentality, it is far from being a west coast, or western feel to it. I do not say that in any discouraging way, only as a realistic consideration. That being said though, Orlando tends to be more liberal than AZ from what I hear.

Just an added thought. Orlando, the City proper may be smaller than Colorado Springs, but that is decieving. Only about 10% of the population lives in the city proper. The greater Orlando area is around 2.5-3 million people depending on what you consider to be part of Orlando. I have been to Colorado Springs, it's is about the size of maybe one county here. There are 5 counties that make up Greater Orlando, trust me it's a big difference. Orlando is a major city.

All in all, I think you would be alright to move here. You are doing so for the right reason with the right motivations and that is big part succeeding and being happy. You're finances could be tight here, as they will be in Phoenix, but such is the life of a student. I wish you all the best and hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontob View Post
Staying at an extended stay is excellent idea but I got concerned about what I would do with my furniture, etc., while not in a rental yet. I guess I was assuming it would be easier to just rent a place?

I think I just always thought Orlando was bigger. Not that it's a bad thing, I was surprised when I realized it is has a smaller population than Colorado Springs, lol
Plus, it would have to have mor to do in all the sunshine...
You have a few options. When you rent a U-haul, they usually give you a 5 day special. Maybe that would give you some extra time. How about a POD? Get here first, find a place, then have your stuff delivered.

I agree with CR, other places in Seminole County will work fine too. You could go as far as Lake Mary.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
There are many good areas that you could live and still commute to UCF with relative ease. The key, though, as with all of life unless you are filthy rich, is of course sacrifices. You may be able to get into a good school district in a relatively safe area, but the neighborhood itself may not be the community of your dreams. That being said, the biggest advantage between here and Phoenix is obviously tuition cost. I think, everything else being almost equal, UCF gets the slight edge. Areas not already mentioned that you may want to look at are Winter Park, Casselberry, East Orlando (University Ave area), Altamonte, and Maitland. These areas are generally safe, all with at least Good/Decent Schools and reasonable commute. Of all the areas I mentioned and those by others, I think Oviedo and Casselberry would be your best bets in your price range. I will second Craigslist for home searches. Also, you may want to consider an apartment complex initially as they are easier to get into and generally cheaper. After a year, or you can even do a shorter lease, you can look to find something in a single family home. With the market as it is, Apartment communities are pretty much paying you to live there.

As far as toll roads, the neccessity all depends on where you live. There is no where in Central Florida that you can't get without using toll roads, of course using them cuts down alot of time and congestion, but the surface roads here will take you everywhere. Truth is during rush hour the toll roads get just as bad, if not worse, than the surface roads. That's when it pays to learn the backroads.

As far as jobs go, it's probably the same odds for you in both cities as you are currently not a resident of either. The best advice I can give is to apply with a face instead of a resume. Try to get out and meet potential employers, that is always better than being another nameless resume. I'm sure what I'm saying is nothing new to you but in all honesty I have no other advice to give on this subject. The economy is what it is, so luck plays a big part. The one thing I will add for you is your story is compelling and if you approach an employer with a positive outlook eventually it will pay off.

I guess the final consideration in your move, were I in your shoes is consider the different cultures. Both places are fairly inundated with new comers from all over the country but still retain general cultural norms of their areas. What I'm trying to say, I think, is that Phoenix may be more familiar to you, having come for Cali and lived in Colorado, than Orlando. Although Orlando is not deep south, it's much more Southern and East Coast mentality, it is far from being a west coast, or western feel to it. I do not say that in any discouraging way, only as a realistic consideration. That being said though, Orlando tends to be more liberal than AZ from what I hear.

Just an added thought. Orlando, the City proper may be smaller than Colorado Springs, but that is decieving. Only about 10% of the population lives in the city proper. The greater Orlando area is around 2.5-3 million people depending on what you consider to be part of Orlando. I have been to Colorado Springs, it's is about the size of maybe one county here. There are 5 counties that make up Greater Orlando, trust me it's a big difference. Orlando is a major city.

All in all, I think you would be alright to move here. You are doing so for the right reason with the right motivations and that is big part succeeding and being happy. You're finances could be tight here, as they will be in Phoenix, but such is the life of a student. I wish you all the best and hope this helps.

Wow, that was a very informative post! Thank you so much.
I will absolutely check out the other areas that you mentioned. Thank you also for clearing up the tollroad questions, that helps.
I have thought about an apartment complex but I do have a dog and a 15 year old with a fondness for music so I was thinking that a house may be better but I will check some out because you are correct that would most likely be cheaper.
Ok, as far as the putting a face to resume situation, how do we get around it then when so many places now just want you to submit an online application/resume? I do understand and agree with you about what you say and I do think that is a better way to gain employment, but so many companies now only want you to via the computer.
What would the main differences in culture be? I can say that I have been asked more than once, if I was from NYC, so maybe I'm an undercover eastcoaster? lol
Thank you also for explaining the actual population, that runs more with what I thought about Orlando.
I appreciate you well wishes and kind words for me. This is a huge decision, one I have to make if I want to continue my education, which is vital. I just want to make sure that not only do I do it the right way but that I make the right choice.
Thank you again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando