U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM

421 posts, read 1,166,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It depends. The last job I took was $3 less per hour than I'm used to. (It wasn't $10/hr either) I wasn't happy about it at first. After I proved myself after 3 months, I was back at what I was used to getting. I think that maybe something you may have to do.

As far as paralegals, it's going to differ. Reason being is b/c it depends how much you're capable of doing. I know there are entry level positions that pay $10/hr. If you can do litigation, it's going to be more. If you can prove yourself, use it to your advantage.

Ok, so it sounds similar to Colorado Springs. I was also trying to think of the bare minimum in savings that I should bring with me? Any thoughts on that? I would hope that it wouldn't take me more than 6 months to find a job but I have heard a lot of negativity and that has begun to worry me as well.
Thanks again beckycat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM

10,878 posts, read 23,723,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontob View Post
Ok, so it sounds similar to Colorado Springs. I was also trying to think of the bare minimum in savings that I should bring with me? Any thoughts on that? I would hope that it wouldn't take me more than 6 months to find a job but I have heard a lot of negativity and that has begun to worry me as well.
Thanks again beckycat
I can't tell you the bare minimum to bring. It depends on your lifestyle. All I can say is don't live beyond your means. There is plenty to do here that is free or inexpensive, but on the other hand there is plenty to do that is very expensive.

I know that you're hearing alot of negativity, but so holds true for everywhere about employment. Look on Craigslist, Careerbuilder, Monster, and Myflorida.com for jobs. Give some of those places a call, fax your resume'. Who knows, you maybe able to land a job before you get here. Even if you don't, you can get a feel. I'm optomisitc about finding a job if you get yourself out there and work hard for it. It may take a while and it maybe difficult, but it's like that everywhere. As we talked about it, you may not get the pay you're expecting, but just get your foot in the door. Are you working now?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I can't tell you the bare minimum to bring. It depends on your lifestyle. All I can say is don't live beyond your means. There is plenty to do here that is free or inexpensive, but on the other hand there is plenty to do that is very expensive.

I know that you're hearing alot of negativity, but so holds true for everywhere about employment. Look on Craigslist, Careerbuilder, Monster, and Myflorida.com for jobs. Give some of those places a call, fax your resume'. Who knows, you maybe able to land a job before you get here. Even if you don't, you can get a feel. I'm optomisitc about finding a job if you get yourself out there and work hard for it. It may take a while and it maybe difficult, but it's like that everywhere. As we talked about it, you may not get the pay you're expecting, but just get your foot in the door. Are you working now?
I was working up until Friday. We ran out of work and if I were to stay in C.S. then come September I would have a job for about 6 months again. I will be getting unemployment for a bit but depending on extensions, etc., will tell me how long it will last. When I called Colorado UI customer service, the woman I spoke to actually said most of their claims are coming from Colorado Springs, the opportunity just isn't here.
What I was thinking, if I do make the jump to Orlando, is getting with some temp agencies to at least have something coming in.
I apologize for all the questions, I am notorious for my worry and always wanting to make sure that I ask every question and over analyze everything to death!
i am hoping having about 15K in savings will be a good start!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I was working up until Friday. We ran out of work and if I were to stay in C.S. then come September I would have a job for about 6 months again. I will be getting unemployment for a bit but depending on extensions, etc., will tell me how long it will last. When I called Colorado UI customer service, the woman I spoke to actually said most of their claims are coming from Colorado Springs, the opportunity just isn't here.
What I was thinking, if I do make the jump to Orlando, is getting with some temp agencies to at least have something coming in.
I apologize for all the questions, I am notorious for my worry and always wanting to make sure that I ask every question and over analyze everything to death!
i am hoping having about 15K in savings will be a good start!
Temp services are a good idea. That amount of savings should hold you over for a bit.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 AM

6 posts, read 23,416 times
Winter Park has excellent schools and is a close drive to one of the UCF campuses. Maitland also has excellent schools, depending on which neighborhood you live in; make sure that anything that you look at there is in the Winter Park School district. You can find an affordable place to rent in either city; they're both suburbs of Orlando. Lake Mary is pretty close to Orlando and their schools have an excellent reputation and you can also find affordable rentals.

You really do need a car to live here, though.

Also - when you move here, will you have to pay out of state tuition for the first year that you are here? I didn't see if that was addressed anywhere in the thread, but that is a consideration.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Winter Park has excellent schools and is a close drive to one of the UCF campuses. Maitland also has excellent schools, depending on which neighborhood you live in; make sure that anything that you look at there is in the Winter Park School district. You can find an affordable place to rent in either city; they're both suburbs of Orlando. Lake Mary is pretty close to Orlando and their schools have an excellent reputation and you can also find affordable rentals.

You really do need a car to live here, though.

Also - when you move here, will you have to pay out of state tuition for the first year that you are here? I didn't see if that was addressed anywhere in the thread, but that is a consideration.
Thank you for those suggestions! I do have a car so that is not a worry at all. I couldn't survive anywhere without a car, lol.
I am trying to move this Summer so that I can gain my residency and pay in state tuition, that is my goal. I won't actually go to Grad school for another year or so so I believe that would give me enough time.
Just hoping to make it all fit and work right so I don't fall flat on my face.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you for those suggestions! I do have a car so that is not a worry at all. I couldn't survive anywhere without a car, lol.
I am trying to move this Summer so that I can gain my residency and pay in state tuition, that is my goal. I won't actually go to Grad school for another year or so so I believe that would give me enough time.
Just hoping to make it all fit and work right so I don't fall flat on my face.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Hey, that's true, but you have to take risks in life. If you don't how would you ever know?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Hey, that's true, but you have to take risks in life. If you don't how would you ever know?

beckycat- You are absolutely correct, I guess I just get really nervous...thank you so much for your help, thoughts and suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Default Another question :)

What about Mosquitos? Are they a huge problem because Orlando is basically swamp land? I apologize, a friend just brought this up to me so i thought I would ask to get the facts.
If this is the case would the Tampa area be a better spot? I can go to school in either Orlando or Tampa and now I think I have narrowed it down to one of those cities and am still in need of questions answered.
Another thought-in your opinion, which is a better city for myself and my two daughters?
I also want to say that everyone in this thread has been so helpful!
Thanks again,

Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
What about Mosquitos? Are they a huge problem because Orlando is basically swamp land? I apologize, a friend just brought this up to me so i thought I would ask to get the facts.
If this is the case would the Tampa area be a better spot? I can go to school in either Orlando or Tampa and now I think I have narrowed it down to one of those cities and am still in need of questions answered.
Another thought-in your opinion, which is a better city for myself and my two daughters?
I also want to say that everyone in this thread has been so helpful!
Thanks again,
It's me again. LOL Mosquitos are here when it warms up. They come in the evening and if you're sitting outside, they can be very annoying. Therfore, it's nice to have a screened enclosure. I wouldn't think they would be any different in Tampa. FL is FL.

As for where do I think it would be better to live with 2 kids? I think both places would be nice, but I think Orlando (in Seminole Co) would be my choice. The schools are good here, but I can't speak for Tampa.The reason being is b/c there are alot of things going on here being we have the touristy things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando