U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:03 PM

1,418 posts, read 8,867,221 times

Advertisements

I'd agree with HockeyMom - three is the bare minimum. Even that is iffy, if you've never been to Disney before. I know the place like the back of my hand, had free tickets anyway, and knew exactly what things a three-four year old would find fun. Here's what my 3 year-old liked:

Fantasia (3-D Mickey Mouse movie)- liked it so much we did this twice.

"The Bear Show" (Bear Jamboree) - Ya, I was surprised at that one, she cried when it was over and didn't want to leave.

She like-hated haunted mansion - a little scarey for a 3-year old, but she couldn't stop talking about it after. I don't think its there anymore.

monorail
Train
Disney Christmas Show
Pooh ride
Peter Pan
She didn't care much for its a small world - boring to her.
Pirates was down, but she would have liked that
She liked the Charicters, but many kids don't.
Loved Dumbo and the big mary-go-round.

That's about all a 3-4 year old can handle. If you have small kids, just you really need to concentrate on hitting the kids rides. Forget Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, or any ride where you have to wait in line forever. The Pre-pass, or whatever it's called, worked out great for about 1/2 the things we went to, to avoid long lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 PM

217 posts, read 689,250 times
FYI, Pritchard......The Haunted Mansion is still there. Mattafak....It's SUPPOSEDLY going down for a massive rehab sometime this summer and will be down for almost 4 months.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 11,677,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
We took my younger daughter (years ago) when she was 3 years old. MAJOR mistake. It was July and about 98 degrees. That alone was bad enough, but for a 3 year old, other than seeing Mickey "up close and personal" at meals, even the rides (even the kiddie ones) didn't appeal much to her, especially waiting on LONG lines to get on one of them. She spend a lot of the time CRYING.

My older daughter was 8 at the time. She had a MUCH better time. I would not recommend taking a child much younger than that.

Sorry, my mom has it wrong. I'm the 3 year old she's talking about (obviously I'm not anymore lol). I LOVED Disney world. It was my 8 year old sister who I remember complaining the whole time. We have pictures of her sleeping and sweat running all over her face lol. I had a ball there.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:43 PM

9,321 posts, read 15,234,055 times
The first trip we took to D.World was in mid June during a heat wave. We spent the first day throwing up. Not much fun if you are not used to the humidity. I would take your 1 year old during the cooler months. We also had to come back 3 times a day to the hotel to shower. I supose you aclimate over time, but it was hard on us. I loved Orlando in May!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:14 AM

1,418 posts, read 8,867,221 times
Quote:
FYI, Pritchard......The Haunted Mansion is still there. Mattafak....It's SUPPOSEDLY going down for a massive rehab sometime this summer and will be down for almost 4 months
I'm very glad to hear that. The Haunted Mansion is one of their best rides/exhibits. A lot of creative genius went into that place, and every time I go I can find new things to marval at. Lots of little hidden facts and trivia to know about that place.

From a technological perspective, the Haunted Mansion is getting a little hokey and tired. I hope they don't change the basic look and feel of the Haunted Mansion. But, they could probably do a lot better than the 1970's technology by using true holography, some digital effects, updated sound systems, some better mechanical effects, etc. Hopefully that's what they intend to do. I mean the witch head in the glass ball was cool in the 1970's, but come on!!!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:10 PM

89 posts, read 328,799 times
I always thought that it was the cheesiness of the haunted mansion that made it that much more awesome. It remains my second favorite ride of all time at the Magic Kingdom. My top spot goes to Mr Toad's Wild Ride (may that awesome ride rest in peace).

Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 PM

13 posts, read 36,107 times
we live in Orlando, with a one year old, and we wouldnt waste the money to go with him, only because he would probably get the same thrill from visiting the local WalMart. (both have flashy lights, and things to touch.) Actually, Universal might be better for a baby, at least they have that cool Dr. Seuss land, and a better play area.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:48 PM

239 posts, read 689,196 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I would advise against taking children under the age of three to Disney. This time of year, it's HOT! Heat, small children, crowds, changing diapers, and feeding don't mix well at all. Not to mention all of the stuff you need to carry around to take care of a one year old.

Yes, you can take your one-year-old child on quite a few of the rides / shows at the Magic Kindgom, enough to fill your day, anyway. But, the kid won't like it. You won't like it. The entire expensive day just ends up being a pointless and painful disaster.

I had to hold myself and my wife back until my kid was three to take her to Disney. Even then, we still had our difficulties.

At 1 year old, a nice resort with a kiddie pool and the free areas of Downtown Disney will keep your kid happy as a clam for much less than half the cost! I kept mine happy that way until age 5. Wahooo!

Old 06-06-2007, 03:24 PM

130 posts, read 507,007 times
I just went on Sunday with my 4 year old and 15 month old.. they had a blast. we went 1x before during Thanksgiving and both did good then too.

My little one didn't go on any rides but she enjoyed the sites and just seeing the performance at the castle and fireworks was very exciting for both.

My 4 year old did Buzz Lightyear and Pirates (we skipped small world.. did that once and dont' care for it)
she loved both.
Also-- my little one got something in her eye during our last trip and we went back to first aid (by main street) and I found this quiet area called the baby care center with a kitchen, numerous changing stations, highchairs, tv, etc.. what a nice relaxing place to go with the baby. It looked under utilized and I will definately use it again when my baby gets too tired or I need to wash a sippy cup etc.

Good luck.
Be bold and take your kids.. It's not too bad.. esp if you have a stroller and keep them hydrated.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:29 PM

130 posts, read 507,007 times
also.. you don't pay I thought until your over 2 or 3. so what's the expense with the baby.... they still drink formula (easy to fix on the go with bottled water) and diaper changes are easier then dashing to the potty with a 4 year old (after you've stood in line forever).

Fastpass is the only way to do rides. I didn't do too many while we were there b/c we were with a big group. I also got in for free so I guess the pressure wasn't there to do everything possible.

Good luck.
T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: