U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,255,495 times

Advertisements

whats up with the daytona beach chamber of commerce and city council?

there is no boardwalk,no pier,the police are going ticket crazy,and to top it off they try to charge you 5 bucks to drive on the beach!....dosent Daytona want tourist and bikers to come here? as for me I'm not coming back next year...oh yeah there is a strictly enforced "no flashing law " in the biker bars.....NO FLASHING IN THE BARS?
I guess they will just raise the motel taxes to finish off the tourist industry......but hey I may be wrong....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM

10,886 posts, read 23,783,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post

there is no boardwalk,no pier,the police are going ticket crazy,and to top it off they try to charge you 5 bucks to drive on the beach!....dosent Daytona want tourist and bikers to come here? as for me I'm not coming back next year...oh yeah there is a strictly enforced "no flashing law " in the biker bars.....NO FLASHING IN THE BARS?
I guess they will just raise the motel taxes to finish off the tourist industry......but hey I may be wrong....
I wish they didn't get rid of the boardwalk either. In fact, I wish they would have expanded it. Supposedly, they are putting condos there. During events, yes, the cops are on full force. They are ticketing everybody if you're not careful. It always cost 5 bucks to drive on the beach regardless if it's bike week. I guess that is the money they use to maintain the beach.

Although, I do enjoy the beaches in FL, I like Myrtle Beach, SC better for the beach and entertainment.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:47 PM

819 posts, read 1,435,723 times
Quote:

Yep bike week there is bust. SO come on up to STURGIS this year cause we still know how to have fun up here.Plus if you dont drink and drive the police pretty much leave us alone.I quit going there around the middle 90s because they seem to over police the whole event.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 PM

8,181 posts, read 15,481,381 times
You must be going to a different Bike Week than I go to.
We were over there on Sunday and altho we saw some nonsense going on the Police were mainly there to direct traffic.
Same thing happened Biketoberfest and last year.

We were all over the place and didn't see the police hassling anybody.

I think the loud pipe rule is dumb but that's the resident not law enforcement.

The pier was damaged during the hurricanes and hasn't been fixed and the boardwalk is being renovated.

I guess it's the attitude you go with.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM

819 posts, read 1,435,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
You must be going to a different Bike Week than I go to.
We were over there on Sunday and altho we saw some nonsense going on the Police were mainly there to direct traffic.
Same thing happened Biketoberfest and last year.

We were all over the place and didn't see the police hassling anybody.

I think the loud pipe rule is dumb but that's the resident not law enforcement.

The pier was damaged during the hurricanes and hasn't been fixed and the boardwalk is being renovated.

I guess it's the attitude you go with.
Hey granny we talked a few months ago. your even on my friends list.Anyway Ive been going to bikeweek daytona since the early 70s and what a hugh change thats taken place. almost all the crazy fun we used to have was gone by the time I quit going in 95 I think.Iam not beating up on fl its just to me seem to become a over policed event. I had no really opion till we we to sturgis last year.Its still like I remember daytona was back in the day. what a blast I still want to have you guys come up then tell me what you think. anyways I have to go Iam cooking dinner for my kids nothing but love for my old hometown orlando bye cathy

Last edited by airboat5; 03-01-2010 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: cant spell right the first time

Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 AM

496 posts, read 1,446,237 times
Exclamation Wtf?!!

Quote:

If you've been attending Bike Week in Daytona over the past decade, you'd be in the loop that there's been some scuffling between the Chamber and Bruce Rossmeyer (deceased Bike Week founder, owner of Daytona Harley + Destination Daytona). When Rossmeyer originally set up the event, the Chamber laughed at the idea. So they only charged him minimal fees to use the park and have police direct traffic. Once they saw how successful the event had become, they gave him a haircut by charging outrageous fees for his permits for the same event. Furthermore, retirees began complaining about the event + noise and put pressure on the city for reforms.

Rossmeyer was smart, took his marbles and built "Destination Daytona" outside of Daytona Beach city limits and the political fallout. Now the Chamber and city want the event back!

As far as your complaint about the Boardwalk, dunno, but it was STILL THERE last time I looked (with the exception of a Condo project that's been delayed since 2005 that will still have arcades)! For God's sake, the city just FINISHED a major REMODEL project with new paving stones, lighting and railings! There are plans to expand it further by 2013.

The Pier is closed due to safety and construction. It was recently re-purchased by the city after the leaseholder neglected serious repairs over a decade which almost made it collapse. Then they cried "poor" when these issues surfaced. Now the city has been scrambling to make emergency repairs to save it. All should be fine by the Summer.

Obviously, you haven't been to Daytona in 10 years -- the County has been charging at LEAST $5 to drive on the beach (it was DECREASED 2 YEARS AGO)!

Even though the "no flashing" law is posted (by law) at the bars, it's STILL a part of Bike Week tradition and it's RARELY enforced (and ONLY due to poor judgement in OVERKILL situations that CAN'T be overlooked by the cops).

Put on your "Big Boy" pants and stop moaning! Everyone else here is having fun but YOU!

BTW, what hotel did you stay at for the event in DB, to be concerned about tourist taxes (they're set by the county, NOT the city anyway)?

Last edited by daytonadewd; 03-03-2010 at 01:52 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 06:25 AM

8,181 posts, read 15,481,381 times
Yeah what he said^^^^^^^

I'm going back over Friday and Saturday and plan to have a great time. Of course hubby's a little disappointed that it will be too cold for most of the "cleavage" viewing but what can ya do?

Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,255,495 times
the pier could have been demolished and rebuilt for far less than is being spent on the repairs being made to it.
I've been coming to Daytona for40 years and it has changed some good some bad .

$5.00 to drive on the beach? yeah thats a plus to get tourist to come,the beach is the bread and butter here,its why people come so why charge? cant the tax on food &motels be enough?

the board walk is gone except for a arcade or two and a giant sling shot "ride?".
I have seen the police at the west end of many bridges daily. I dont have any regrets if the people who are out of control about speed are ticketed, its the ones who are topping the hill at 10 mph over that get tickets....I know speed is speed and you cant just be a little bit pregnant.
all in all the city fathers should be helping to create a place to visit in this economy.
...........me I'm here all winter long, and if not for that I sure wouldn't be wasting my money to come to daytona for bike week.
what made me write this post is a friend had his plate on his bike vertically rather than horizontal and the fine was 300 bucks.......he ha no plans on coming back next year......you figure out why !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando