U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:42 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,964,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite loop View Post
A guy who has an office on 192 told me that there's always a guy around on a motor wheelchair on the sidewalk. Seems dangerous. What happens if the battery dies?

There's been several peeople kiled/hit on wheelchairs around central FL. Think this was the most recent. Holden Ave/South OBT in Orlando. I think that one happened at 6:30pm. Woman in wheelchair killed when car hits her in Orange County crosswalk - Orlando Sentinel
From the article "They determined that Katherine Scheungrab of Orlando, who was in a crosswalk, failed to yield the right of way to a 1994 Mercury..."

What the heck? So even if you are in the crosswalk, the car still has the right of way? Even up here in backwards Georgia, we have a state law that says cars must yield to anyone in the crosswalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 PM

222 posts, read 621,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
From the article "They determined that Katherine Scheungrab of Orlando, who was in a crosswalk, failed to yield the right of way to a 1994 Mercury..."

What the heck? So even if you are in the crosswalk, the car still has the right of way? Even up here in backwards Georgia, we have a state law that says cars must yield to anyone in the crosswalk.
Yes, that is just terrible reporting.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM

5,712 posts, read 11,236,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
OBT is probably the most dangerous road to try to cross between crosswalks. Even using the crosswalks it is still risky, but trying to jaywalk is dang near suicide.

I have seen situations like that lot's of times. 17-92 in Fern park is another dangerous place to jaywalk.
The ridiculous part was they were about 100 feet from the OBT/Sand Lake crosswalk

I see this on North Hiawassee in Pine Hills too by Silver Star. Up until I bought my car, I always cross at crosswalks unless there was a huge break in the traffic and I knew I wouldnt be hit

But yes even crossing at crosswalks is dangerous. Makes me glad I own a car now. I drive down John Young everyday to get to my job in Hunter's Creek, I remember last year when I was car shopping my roommate suggested I get a scooter instead of an actual car. And be outnumber 2 million to 1 by cars on John Young? Yeah right!

Orlando is the most dangerous city in the US for pedestrians anyways. I remember seeing that on Channel 9 awhile back.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,172,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The ridiculous part was they were about 100 feet from the OBT/Sand Lake crosswalk

I see this on North Hiawassee in Pine Hills too by Silver Star. Up until I bought my car, I always cross at crosswalks unless there was a huge break in the traffic and I knew I wouldnt be hit

But yes even crossing at crosswalks is dangerous. Makes me glad I own a car now. I drive down John Young everyday to get to my job in Hunter's Creek, I remember last year when I was car shopping my roommate suggested I get a scooter instead of an actual car. And be outnumber 2 million to 1 by cars on John Young? Yeah right!

Orlando is the most dangerous city in the US for pedestrians anyways. I remember seeing that on Channel 9 awhile back.
Yeah I knew a dude who bought a scooter as his main transport. Forunately it got stolen before he could get himself killed

Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 AM

5,712 posts, read 11,236,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Yeah I knew a dude who bought a scooter as his main transport. Forunately it got stolen before he could get himself killed
That thief must have been pretty desperate to have stolen that scooter, although some of them can go quite fast, I'd still be too afraid to drive one on John Young or I-4, it might get 80= miles to a gallon, but I'd feel safer in my 2003 Nissan Altima thanks!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,029,949 times
What are cops supposed to do? Are they supposed to pull over, miraculously fit an electric wheelchair into the trunk of their cruisers and give him a ride every single time they see him in the road? The fact is, most of America is wheelchair-inaccessible, and I'm not saying I like that BUT that's just the way our country is structured AND the cops really do have more pressing issues to contend with than to transport the disabled. There are services just for that purpose, and the fact that this man isn't using these services for whatever reason, is a whole other topic and could be indicative of a much bigger issue.

He'll probably be killed one day and there's not much you can do about it, other than simply hoping that he doesn't have a child in his lap when it finally happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: