U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 53,043 times

Advertisements

Geezus! What is the matter with drivers on I4? It's not like I am driving slow-- at least 5-10mph over the posted speed limit, yet I get passed like I am going 30 miles per hour. Then people are cutting in and out, slamming on their brakes for no apparent reason, never using their turn signals and honking for what? The worst offenders are the ones driving beat up turds that probably don't have any insurance. My commutes remind me of that scene from Mad Max where Mel Gibson is tooling across the desert in a caravan with a bunch of marauding lunatics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM

385 posts, read 1,188,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacticfish View Post
Geezus! What is the matter with drivers on I4? It's not like I am driving slow-- at least 5-10mph over the posted speed limit, yet I get passed like I am going 30 miles per hour. Then people are cutting in and out, slamming on their brakes for no apparent reason, never using their turn signals and honking for what? The worst offenders are the ones driving beat up turds that probably don't have any insurance. My commutes remind me of that scene from Mad Max where Mel Gibson is tooling across the desert in a caravan with a bunch of marauding lunatics.
I'll never forget the morning I arrived in Orlando. In heavy, fast moving traffic, I saw a guy towing a boat weaving in and out of traffic, zipping through holes that were only a foot or two longer than the pick/boat combination. Every time he changed lanes (no signals of course) the boat would swing around, I was sure I was about to see a horrible accident. It is an image which has stuck with me since then.

-Harry

Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM

631 posts, read 2,100,478 times
I drive it every single day from downtown to Altamonte and back. While I have seen my share of lunacy, I would suggest the original poster is using quite a bit of hyperbole. Typically during rush hour NOTHING is fast moving. So you can't have it both ways... sometimes posters here claim it's a parking lot while others claim it's Daytona 500. The truth is, during rush hour it is slow...terribly slow at times... At other times of the day or night outside rush hours you do come across idiots weaving in and out of traffic and being reckless. Once again I will state that people scared of Orlando traffic have never lived in a big city before.....Orlando pales in comparison to traffic in any city in Florida, much less the US.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,562,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgebel View Post
I'll never forget the morning I arrived in Orlando. In heavy, fast moving traffic, I saw a guy towing a boat weaving in and out of traffic, zipping through holes that were only a foot or two longer than the pick/boat combination. Every time he changed lanes (no signals of course) the boat would swing around, I was sure I was about to see a horrible accident. It is an image which has stuck with me since then.

-Harry
Over the summer i was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on I-4 on the way home from wet n wild, and when we got up to the "accident" it turned out to be a truck who lost the boat he was towing. It was laying on its side in the middle of I-4. It was pretty funny.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:17 PM

5,724 posts, read 11,361,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I drive it every single day from downtown to Altamonte and back. While I have seen my share of lunacy, I would suggest the original poster is using quite a bit of hyperbole. Typically during rush hour NOTHING is fast moving. So you can't have it both ways... sometimes posters here claim it's a parking lot while others claim it's Daytona 500. The truth is, during rush hour it is slow...terribly slow at times... At other times of the day or night outside rush hours you do come across idiots weaving in and out of traffic and being reckless. Once again I will state that people scared of Orlando traffic have never lived in a big city before.....Orlando pales in comparison to traffic in any city in Florida, much less the US.
I totally agree with this. Then again I only have experience driving in two florida cities, Orlando and Jacksonville. I will take Orlando over Jax any day of the week!

Jacksonville and Orange Park's traffic lights are completely out of whack with each other, and the morning rush hour traffic on I-10 going into Downtown Jax is horrendous due to the construction with the I-95/I-10 interchange. At least most of our freeway road construction is finished, they wont be done until 2016

The one thing they have over us on their highways is that they have no tolls

I will say that I-4 however is like the Daytona 500 IMO. When I was learning how to drive I was always taught to keep up with the flow of traffic. Often times when I take I-4 through downtown Orlando (a 50 zone) I find myself and everybody else doing between 70-75. We really are lucky that cops cant stop everybody or we'd all be in jail for reckless driving

I can understand why the speed limit on I-4 between Downtown and Maitland is only 50 mph. That is a very urban area with lots of over passes, ups and downs, and bends to the left or right. I think 60 is a more appropriate limit, some of our drivers are insane going the speeds they do on that stretch of road. it explains all the accidents just on that one stretch

Old 03-04-2010, 02:31 PM

385 posts, read 1,188,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Over the summer i was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on I-4 on the way home from wet n wild, and when we got up to the "accident" it turned out to be a truck who lost the boat he was towing. It was laying on its side in the middle of I-4. It was pretty funny.
What amazed me the most was that traffic wasn't slow, it was very early in the morning and traffic was starting to get very heavy, but not quite heavy enough to effect speed. He could have easily just picked a lane and gone 10 or 15 over the limit.

-Harry

Old 03-04-2010, 04:23 PM

819 posts, read 1,435,723 times
Default Its everywhere

I have lived all over the last couple of years and its like that in all the bigger cities. If you think I 4 is bad try the DC loop at almost anytime.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,792,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
Wow, no offesne, but how inaccurate. Many of those who complain about traffic probably would never want to live in a "big city." To many, Orlando and it's traffic is bad enough.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 AM

5,724 posts, read 11,361,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
I have lived all over the last couple of years and its like that in all the bigger cities. If you think I 4 is bad try the DC loop at almost anytime.
My family moved here from Connecticut in 2006, Google Maps led us onto the 495 Beltway. Granted it was around 2 in the afternoon, the traffic was heavy but we were moving at a good speed

Wasnt any different then I-4 IMO

Old 03-06-2010, 04:30 PM

819 posts, read 1,435,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
My family moved here from Connecticut in 2006, Google Maps led us onto the 495 Beltway. Granted it was around 2 in the afternoon, the traffic was heavy but we were moving at a good speed

Wasnt any different then I-4 IMO
Yep the time of day makes the road what it is.I 4s not to bad at 2pm most of the time. The point was that almost all big cities are kinda the same. Theres nutty driving going on everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando